Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Triple T - Race #1 - the Prologue

Our mantra as we sat awaiting the first race - We're a team, not a couple! AND NO, I don't even give a crap about a girl couple, happy is happy....I just didn't want to ruin any chances for Tilghman for crying out loud.


Friday afternoon....Prologue - Race #1

After our introduction to the swamp lands (Thank you Mother Nature), we spent the afternoon chilling, fueling and entertaining ourselves by watching person after person get stuck in the mud trap parking area. It was super entertaining to watch people who have never been in mud before, apparently. I took our one ton dually so this was not an issue. Continuing to spin your wheels in mud only gets you deeper, is this not a known fact? Ranger Rick, our friendly park ranger, was deeply concerned about the condition of his field. The sign said, event parking so that's where everyone went, much to Ranger Rick's dismay. Why didn't I help pull people out of the mud, you ask? I have NO clue how to do it without pulling the front fascia right off your car. I don't need YOU suing ME for trying to help YOU. But I digress...

Race time was swiftly approaching. OK, I use that term loosely, race, that is. For me, this was going to be my regular - day before the race shake down. I had no intention of killing myself out there. With such a short race, the difference would only have been in minutes. At the end of the weekend, minutes weren't going to matter to me. We all herd out to swim in the vat of chocolate milkshake and mud. Uh, someone said the water was 73, they lied. Maybe the surface temp was 73 but I screamed when my face hit the water. Holy crap, this is FREEZING (and I just had a shorty wetsuit on, I'm glad I had something to help protect my core temp, jeeze). Fine, then a baby bike ride, no problems, no issues. Finish it up with a one mile run on a muddy trail and wet grass. I didn't even try to hit this hard, I was just trying NOT to bust my arse. I came in #255 in a whopping 29:10. Besides getting into zone 5 when I hit the water, it was pretty tame. Almost a shame to get so dirty, trash my shoes and cake up my bike BUT, there it is.

Dinner was to be nothing new, nothing special....pizza and beer. Perrrrfect. Nothing new on race day, that's my motto (except for new swim goggles, I always want new goggles on race day). After our return to the hotel, it's time to clean up, order some pizza pie and drink a beer, one beer. I screamed when I hit the shower, there was mud EVERYWHERE. I had to pluck it off me hoping not to find a leach mixed in with the caked on mud. I laughed, I was in the water for less than five minutes, REALLY, caked on mud?!?

Beer, we needed that one beer for old times sake but NO bottle opener. I make my way down the hallway, asking anyone around. I see the perfect candidate - he looks like a fraternity boy with a bunch of camping gear. Surely, he'll have a knife, multitool or bottle opener on his key chain - hey man do you have a bottle opener? Like for beer? Duh, yes, for beer, do you have a bottle opener for beer (I suppose it could have been a wine bottle opener)? Uh, you're having beer? Yes, jakeleg, I'm having one beer, do you have an opener? No, sorry. Thanks for nothing dbag.

LSS, we got our pizza our beer and fell into a deep slumber when .... a crack of thunder was so close to the room window that the hair stood up on my neck, I sat straight up and screamed - check the clocks, check your phone, make sure we still have an alarm for the morning. Thankfully, this strong storm passed very quickly.

Now it's time to get the 'real' show on the road...Olympic Race #2, up next!

18 comments:

skierz said...

Can't you take some time off work so that you can tell us all about all the events? :) Hope you are recovering well! Cheers

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Note to self always carry a bottle opener....
The trip sounds fun so far..

Kim said...

thank god he didnt have one of those flipflops with the beer bottle opener on the bottom. those things gross me out! way to kick butt so far!

Matty O said...

You are hilarious. Great writing style and I support beer drinking prior to races!

Right on!

FLATOUT JIM said...

OHHH Nice truck, Pretty Truck. MMMM.

BTW you look pretty smokin in that triathlon unitard.

MCM Mama said...

We learned a long time ago to always have a bottle opener. I'm pretty sure every single suitcase/duffel bag/backpack we own has a resident opener now.

Just wondering - how many pairs of shoes did you destroy at Triple t?

Wes said...

OMG Missy! Do you kiss Gunnar with that mouth? HAHAHAHA!

Playing in the mud sounds like so much fun!! and beer? no, no beer! Plays havoc with the GI.... *sigh* I lurves my beer. It's cool, salty, foamy... *sigh*...

celmore said...

So far it looks like you had a blast!!! Great post.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am still impressed, TTT is no freaking joke.

I wasnt even racing and my shoes were muddy, had to toss them in the trunk for the ride home

Bill said...

I'm taking notes in case I ever try this event. Let's see: full wet suit...check, multiple pairs of shoes...check, extra bottle openers...double check.

Can't wait to read the next report.

Amanda said...

oh, i totally got stuck in that mud. i am that tard.
and i am also the tard that didn't wear a wetsuit for that first race! no way was it 73 degrees.
nothing wrong with beer post(and pre) race.

kristen said...

Omg bitch. You are going to milk this aren't you. Dying here!!

So far so good. Keep it coming.

Diana said...

It's like little chapters of the entire race book! Love it! Just enough to tease and keep us coming back for more!

Chloe said...

One word. Reefs. My reef flops have 2 bottle openers built in - one on each flop :) Best shoe purchase ever :)

Great race report!!

prolix said...

great things are shared here..Tires Florida

STC Technologies said...

very nice photo collections

STC Technologies|STC Technologies

Ganeshan Nadarajan said...

The blog is interesting!

الرواد للإستشارات القانونية said...

nice blog ... i like it so much :))

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!