Saturday, May 29, 2010

Taking longer than the race...Triple T Part #3

The American Triple T - Race #3
24.8 mile bike - 1500 Meter swim - 6.55 mile run - team event, we must start and finish together. We already know this is a non issue since our previous race time was ~2 minutes apart, sweet.

Bike first, uh, yeah, this is the same bike course we did this morning and it was a BITCH. Now, I just happened to know what we were getting ourselves into. Let's just say we were both married to our smallest gears. There wasn't much drafting for us, per se, since we just had to grind it out. And YES, I did make the 'young one' ride up front most of the time. Hell, I had to play the old lady card some way. Our strategy on the bike - when you can 'feel' pressure on your pedals, gear down and just spin...still got a swim, run and half iron to do. Done and done.

How the hell do you get a wetsuit on a sweaty body? With wetsuit dressers rather than strippers that we're all used to. I didn't have any issues so it was no big deal but how handy to have nice men standing there with grocery sacks for your arms and feet to get your wetsuit on.

To the murky water...we both screamed when we hit the water and scared those around us, I think. It was still so cold and shocking. If I was just smart enough to wear TWO caps. Nothing special on the swim, finished together and walked to transition. I would say that most of my transitions for this were very mellow, again, minutes weren't going to count for me, so an extra minute for fresh, dry socks, lube and some GasX (my new favorite racing treat after ingesting gels for two days), was what I needed. Got all of that and went to Tilghman's rack and the conversation went like this -

Me: I got shoes, hat, GasX and Gu's, what else do I need?
T: I think that sounds good.
Random guy: How about crutches and a HoverRound?
Us: Baaahahahaha, yes please.

....and we went for our 6.55 mile trail run. This nice young man was forever known as HoverRound. Whenever we would see him we just yelled, Hey Go HoverRound. HoverRound, if you're out there, we love ya.

Trot, trot, trot, we ran this shit again, but together this time. We were determined NOT to walk for the Oly's so we pulled out what little bits we had to keep it moving up those bitchin hills. See Til's trashed shoes. I think these we new when we arrived.

UNTIL, I heard them. I hear two girls closing in and talking to one another, they get closer and within 'draft' range for this thang. My pace starts to quicken, the hairs on my neck stand up, we weren't even talking and Tilghman just says to me - stop it, we'll get them tomorrow. We can't kill ourselves today - we pride ourselves in being able to pace. Fine, fine, I know she's right, I KNOW it and I'm glad she was there as my voice of reason. We let the young one's go by (I have no idea how old they were or what division, I just knew that they were a female team). They were super nice and not at ALL snarky or anything. It was just my competitive side coming out. We let them go - and Tilghman says to me, hey little girl, haven't I ever told you about the Tortoise and the Hare?

Run, run, run to the finish and off our mornings race by 8-10 minutes. Hell, we were happy with that since we started to see people totally combust by the third race. Besides sitting in the ice cold stream, hammering a Coke, getting a massage (from Bob who was sweet on me because I got an extra 10 minutes and a hug), eating the best noodle with Parmesan cheese we ever had, it was time to get out of there.

We were feeling good but the thought of a half iron on THAT kind of course the next day was daunting. We needed food and lots of it, stat. Mashed potato, I'd kill for a mashed potato. KFC, certainly, there's a KFC in this town, right? Grilled chicken and some mashed taters...it was NOT to be. Instead, we found some awesome deli, got hand cut french fries with extra salt and a large philly cheese steak. You know, I have never been so relaxed with my food choices as I was for this race. For big races, I'm usually so anal about what I'm eating. For this, it was eat often, eat lots, you're going to need it. As I stood in line for my cheese steak, stinky, nasty, muddy, obviously coming from the race site, the IRONCHODE is standing there waiting for his food as well. Seriously there dbag, get over yourself, 99% of this crowd has done at least one Ironman. He was quite proud of himself and carried himself accordingly. Made me want to put tacks in his transition spot.

Off to bed...but couldn't sleep...was too jacked up. Until an alarm clock went off at freakin 4:00am. Holy crap, are you kidding me?!? WHAT do I have to do today?

18 comments:

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

I seriously get more and more amazed every time I read about your race. Wow...just wow!

Judi said...

so so funny about the mdot dorks. amanda said the jerseys were hideous, lol.

kristen said...

I couldn't even imagine all this in three days. Craaazy.

Jeff - DangleTheCarrot said...

okay i finished reading please post the the half now. Thanks!

Awesome job Missy! This is soo cool!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

UMMMMMMMM..... A half, right????
(that was a question wasn't it?)
OK, bring it home... I want to hear about the trophies...

skierz said...

your race reports are awesome~! and my thoughts of doing a Triple T one day are on the back burner until after I suffer the Ironamn event! hope you are having a great weekend!

Diana said...

I have to give the GasX a try-the bloating and cramping for days after ingesting gels from a race sucks. Thanks for the tip!
Can't wait till next read!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

I am loving this report even if it is taking days. Perhaps the IRONCHODE was overcompensating for something else :P

You & Tilghman are my new female tri heros

Dave said...

Til is wise beyond her years...and I would have been like you...trying to pick up the pace only to crater the next day...

joyRuN said...

Loving this whole series, Missy! Now hurry up with the half already.

RBR said...

I am speechless.

Ho-ly shit, girl. T

his is incredible. You are incredible.

Throw in some puppy pictures and it will be perfect ;)

Wes said...

see, you could have done a late season Ironman. It would have been easy :-)

triguyjt said...

Great to read your stuff.....
Glad you are well..
Will drop by more often to see what crazy stuff you are up to!

Keith said...

I'd bet that getting into the cold water would feel so good after a tough bike.

Can't wait to hear about the last part of this!

MCM Mama said...

Wow! I just can't even imagine that much in one weekend and you still have one race to go. Amazing!

Runner Leana said...

Bike - swim - run? Seriously? It takes me like 15 minutes to put my wetsuit on, I'd have the worst transition time ever!

This weekend sounds truly epic!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am still in awe over this race, from just what I have read, wow is all I can say

LGA & MR KALIKA said...

telexfree
http://www.telexfree.com/ad/leoamarildo veja como: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NsDOZnweLE0#! ganhe dinheiro pela internet...

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!