Monday, April 12, 2010

Critical Failure – R.I.P.

These are words you do NOT want to hear after taking your bike in for a tune up.  These ARE the words my darling hubs heard when they called him regarding my bike…my road bike.  The bike that I’m using to race this year.  The bike that was supposed to get ~125 miles on it this weekend.  He calls me at work and tells me we have to discuss something.  Thankfully, it was the fate of my Carbon Fiber Bianchi and not something worse.  Always be thankful, THINGS can be replaced.

After much discussion, we determine that I need to go and test ride bikes on Friday.  CRRRRRAAAAAPPP, this is not on my agenda, this is not in my budget, this is not in my plan, I don’t like curveballs, I plan.  Now what?  Well, it boils down to this – I could use my TT bike for the rest of the season but I’m not in TT bike shape and the thought of doing 3State3Mountain, REV3 or Triple T is daunting.  No, the TT bike just won’t work here.

More bad news…

Your bike is out of warranty.  They will get you a crash replacement for something something under wholesale but that will take 4-6 weeks to return, for them to approve and blah, blah, blah. OK, I need a new frame.  Well, you need a new fork (got one at home that’s not being used, check!), seat post, cable set (that’s what my bike was in for originally, so OK), bottle cages (we’ll throw those in) and my shorts are toast (I’ll get those later and just hope that my cooter bone and stand up to the pressure, literally).  Now, about that second job I was looking for…My advice to all carbon fiber bike peeps, start saving for your next bike as soon as you can – or just be sure to wreck it under warranty.  You’re going to need it.  Don’t start in on me, it’s a fact.  Yes, it’s a fact that you shouldn’t wreck either but that’s not a choice that one would make.

I had decided long ago that my next bike was going to be metal – of some kind.  My first bike was steel and I loved it, my second bike was carbon, loved it too, it just has a ‘shelf life.’  I don’t want a bike with a shelf life for Pete’s Sake.  Yes, I did have a bike wreck a couple of years ago.  At the time, my bike got the OK.  After years of riding, post wreck, it stressed the bike enough to fail.  So, it was down to light weight steel or titanium…which did I pick!?

Here is my Bianchi that I LOVE as my new, bike room, wall art.  RIP little guy, I loved my plastic bike.  It’s a new day, new time…

This was my second Bianchi, my second road bike.

IMG_1111

And yes, I know you can’t get enough of him either.

Bring out the big Guns, here comes Gunnar! 

IMG_1106

And big poppa Magnus, drool and all.  Yeah, when you’re 70, you can do whatever you’d like.  Oh, and this is from his good side;)

IMG_1104

31 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That just sucks!!! I assume there was a crack in it? I personally would hit ebay and look for a deal on frames. Since you already have the components. Maybe you could even find your old bike frame on there.

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

One word - titanium! Although personally, i'm not a fan. Not as stiff as aluminum or carbon unfortunately and cost is ridiculous. Sorry about your bike. My husband crashed his one month old C-dale System 6 a few years ago. That's the scary part about carbon, when it goes it goes. Thank goodness yours did not do that while you were riding it. We picked up a brand new "old stock" carbon frame (Giant) on ebay about a year ago and bought the entire build kit on Colorado Cyclist and built what would have been a $3500 bike for just under $2000. But as with everything, it takes time. Thanks for the cute Gunnar and Magnus pics. They are both gorgeous dogs.

San said...

Ah, sorry about the bike. This sucks biiiig time. I'd go nuts if my bike broke now. Can't wait to see your new one. Have fun testing them out.

And Gunnar is cute as hell as always. Sigh.

Sherry said...

Dang! That totally sucks! I feel your pain of having to deal with finding a new bike now... there's the pressure of time (gotta get those training rides in) and not knowing what you should go with when you were so happy on what you had. Ugh! Been there, done that when my Cervelo P2C frame cracked (thankfully under warranty). I'm still a newb in this world of bike materials and what not, so I have no advice to offer as to what you should look into... just try to have fun... resist the pressure to 'buy' impulsively if possible. The right one for you will come along. Good luck!

kristen said...

That sucks balls. So sorry. As they say, We plan and God laughs. What er ya gonna do?! Shit happens.

So you already got a bike right? What did you get?

Sherri said...

I'm just stepping into this world...so your giving me the reality of it! I have to go buy my first road bike...so that I can do my first tri! Scary!!!

Wes said...

who needs a silly ole bike when you haz such kewt puppies? :-) I only have one bike, so the choice is easy for me!

Black Knight said...

wow a Bianchi bike, italian like me! Hi from Italy

Tri Mommy said...

That is awful! Did you get a new bike already? What did you end up getting?

The Running Girl said...

Sorry to hear about the bike. I crashed on my last year, but only (I say only, but it still cost!) had to replace the handlebars.

By the way, Gunnar is adorable!!!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Oh boo on the bike. I'm sorry.

Magnus is looking sharp!

LDub said...

bummer about the bike. i cross my fingers every time i take out mine (carbon). maybe should take your advice and start saving!!

someone else said it above...if you have the $ go with the titanium! :)

Julie said...

Eeeeek!! I am so glad that the bike didn't go when you were on it....oh man. Why can't they invent a material that can actually weigh less and be more durable? Sigh.

skierz said...

that sucks! Oh well, shit happens! It is not life alterting and hey, one oyu bite the bullet it is a new bike! :) Hope training is going awesome! Kick some butt! Cheers

Jenna said...

1. Oh shitballs.
2. Your CAN replace things.
3. Change can be good?

Sorry about this expenive "fail" but thankfully your were not bombing down a hill when you learned of its issues....

Jeff - DangleTheCarrot said...

Loved the drool pic ... my 10year old pug Ernie drools all the time. My wife gets mad sometimes and say to her, "would you get made at your grandparents? Ernie is 70 in dog years!"

Check out Bonktown.com ... yesterday they had some nice roadie frames popping up all day long. 40-50% off.

Jo Lynn said...

Bummer about the bike. New toys are fun but not if the budget isn't there, right?
Puppies are so damn cute! Magnus is such a stud though. ;)

Velma said...

Suckage! Can you sell pictures of the pups on the web for cash - I best they would make great calendar dogs.

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

That stinks! I have no advice other than I love my carbon frame despite it's shelf life. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new ride!

Kim said...

FUCKER! ugh that totally blows about your bike!!!!! but at least gunnar makes you smile, right?

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Oh...I'm so sorry about your bike. That just sucks! Could you look on Craigslist or Ebay for another bike/frame? It might be worth a shot over buying a new one!

Molly said...

I hope the bike shopping was fruitful!!! And LOVE the dog pictures - baby puppy just gets cuter by the minute! With boxers it's those forehead wrinkles that get me :)

Runner Leana said...

Oh no Missy, that sucks big time! Words you do not want to hear.... At least you found out about it while it was in the shop, not while you were on the road?

RockStarTri said...

That really sucks. Thank goodness it didn't go while you were riding it.

All the components are probably still good and worth a salvage. Maybe even for a foul weather backup bike (if you find a cheap frame later). Just a thought.

MCM Mama said...

OK, I get that this is bad and something about new bike, but the rest of the words made no sense to me LOL.

Cute doggies, though!

Amanda said...

OH NO!!! i can't imagine what I would do if something happened to my Masi. I'm so attached. fear would overcome me.

Good luck...and look at it as an opportunity to find something better, to make you even faster and hotter for Triple t!!!

Melissa said...

Oh that really sucks about your bike, but at least you have a cute little puppy to cuddle up to and make everything better ;-)

Getting a new bike should be exciting and fun, but not when you weren't expecting and and still in love with the old one. Good luck with your test rides on Friday, can't wait to hear what you find.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Get aluminum and take some "cooter stiffener" (Jack Daniels also works)

Shevaun said...

Did you check with Calfee to Ca to see if they can repair it? My P3 had a crack and Calfee said they can fix it, so it is out there right now. Much cheaper than a new bike, but 5 weeks.

pinkcowgirl said...

Ha, yeah, one should never wreck ones bike...but...one typically does on occasion. And personally, I have more scars from it than the bike does.

Sorry about your bike, but thanks for the info on carbon frames! I learned something!!! :)

Keith said...

Ouch. As others have said, at least you didn't find out the hard way. I don't want to think about that, given how fast our bikes go downhill.

Hope you enjoy the bike shopping. It should be fun, even if it wasn't in the budget. As I always say, it's only money. You're young, you have a long time to earn more of it.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!