Friday, April 2, 2010

Almost perfect...

The day was 78 degrees, it was sunny and the most possible fun was going to be a bike ride. Hurry, hurry, get your stuff, grab bottles, air tires, grab food. Food, mmm, well, I'm out of homemade larabars, and the only thing I have are gels and small packages of Swedish Fish. They're close enough to those gummy electrolyte blocks, right? Threw them in my pocket along with some gels. Crap, headlight, I should be back before dark but you never know what can happen, check, headlight. Gone.

Within the first mile I realize, it's windy, a whole lot windier than I anticipated. Eh, it's still a sunny beautiful day. Oh, there's another cyclist up there, maybe I can catch her. I catch her, we chat, she feels the need to announce her 50 mile ride. I always think that's weird. Of course, if you're announcing, so am I, I raise your 50 mile ride to a 60 mile ride, eat it. I always just think it's weird that people have to announce it to you. I don't give a shit if you rode 15 miles, you're out riding on a nice day. I get it. Reach the first rise and she's gone. It would have been nice to have someone to ride with but, that's that.

Lalala, this isn't SO bad. It's windy but whateves. I see all the usual cows and horses, hi guys. At about miles 30, I feel very bouncy, I look at my reflection and I'm bouncing like I'm spinning too high, no, cadence is 93ish, that's good. I'm not really moving very fast it IS windy. Mmm, my seat is loose? Check, no, seat is not loose. What the hell?! And then it dawns on me, yep, first flat of the season. Joy.


I pull into some farmers driveway and family cemetery and tried to channel the energy of those that were buried there. I said my hellos and don't mind if I set my bike here, do ya? They didn't mind.


Attempt #1 tire changing - fail - I was cussing an my heart started racing. I do NOT want to call home. That is epic fail. Take everything off. Do over.

Attempt #2 - SUCCESS! Went on perfectly, aired up just right, as I stood there admiring my work...a cyclist comes by. Thanks Mr. HunkaCyclist, I don't need your stinkin help, you're 10 minutes too late! I will ALWAYS take an assist when offered but I truly was already done, yay me!

Back on the road, uh, glad I brought that headlight. After my personal victory, I don't know that I passed another soul for miles. It was windy as piss and my almost perfect bike ride turned into a slice of hell. I forgot eye drops and chapstick. My contacts were sandblasted and my lips were bleeding. Very attractive.

Ah well, book it, it's done. All that's left, a half marathon (in the truly FOR FUN fashion) and some Dave Scott Bricks (10/2 x 3, ride 10, run 2, repeat 3 times) on Sunday. Add in some Easter dinner and that will be a wrap! I better get cooking.

23 comments:

Wes said...

What a cute pic of the puppy! Awwwww... Oh, sorry. What were you saying? :-)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That puppy is precious

Keith said...

That photo of you looks posed, poised, and perfect. And Gunnar, even more perfect. Sorry, but then almost everybody is upstaged by a cute puppy.

The first one of everything is the hard one.

Beth said...

There he is ... just getting plumper and cuter by the minute :)

PS. It would take me way more than 2 attempts on a flat. Nice work!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Excellent work on that flat. knock on wood I haven't had the experience yet....
Gunnar is adorable!

Julie said...

I can't get over how adorable Gunnar is!! :)

Tri Mommy said...

awesome job on the flat... and the dog is much too cute!

Amanda said...

Seriously...gunner rivals clubber for cutest dog. ever.

you have a fun weekend ahead. nice brick. i'm actually jealous.

Mae said...

I would have to google tire changing instructions and pray that I was in a good cell phone area so I could watch them.

I'm handing out timing chips in the morning at Oak Barrel. Hopefully I'll be able to say hey and wish you luck!

Benson said...

Biker chicks RULE!
and cute puppies are right up there too.
Nice ride.

Benson said...

Biker chicks RULE!
and cute puppies are right up there too.
Nice ride.

Judi said...

that would be amanda. "im doing 50 miles and you're too slow, see ya".

Velma said...

nice ride. Happy easter bunny

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great job on the flat! Hope Gunnar enjoys his first Easter!

Carly said...

Gunnar is sooooo cute!!! He makes me want a dog again.

Nice job fixing the flat.

RockStarTri said...

I don't announce my rides to strangers but I must announce my naps afterwards to my family (I'm going to be snoozing for 2 hours after my ride today so don't even try to wake me).

I don't know what the big deal is about fixing flats. Once you do a few hundred, they get easy. :)

The high point of my flat expertise was once I was in the SAG wagon for a century and saved about 20 poor souls by fixing their flats. The low point was once I was beaten by the flat gods on a training ride - I was in the mountains, had 4 flats, even fixed the third with the patch kit and found the hole by putting the tube in a stream, and gave up to be rescued after the fourth. I found that a spoke was poking through the rim tape afterwards. :(

Enjoy your Easter.

Jeff - DangleTheCarrot said...

I love it when people announce their miles like that... I usually respond with, "yeah, I'm taking it easy today too!" or "yeah, I only got time for a short ride too!" ... then I smirk on the inside .. good times!

Gunnar has that Give me a darn Snausage now! look on his face!

skierz said...

Holy crap is that dog cute! Good ride today, I feel for you! wind sucks, but who knows what race day will be like is how I talk myself through it! Havea great Easter weekend! amd kick that run in the butt!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Oh..I hate wind, especially when I'm on my bike! Good for you for getting your bike ride done anyways.

And, I hate flat tires. I think it takes me about 10min. to change one. I really need to work on it more.

Chloe said...

Ok. Love the pup. If someone invented some type of shot so that puppies stay the same for their whole lives...they would make a kizillion bucks!!

Congrats on the sucessful flat change!!

Why do you just come down to PCB and do the brick with me - 20/3X2...come on. It will be fun!!

Runner Leana said...

The wind....it is a never ending windfest around here and I realize I just have to suck it up and deal with it. But that doesn't mean I have to like it!

When I was changing my trainer tire out and realizing how out of practice I was I knew I would be screwed if I flatted any time soon! Nice job on getting it done and not needing that guy's help!

Heidi Austin said...

booo for flat tires. you got it done tho! i've been graced with male presence for my only 2 flats. hahahah i'm prayin i can do it solo if it ever happens. ps i really want to steal your puppy sooo cute!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Ugh, I had major wind for my ride today too ;( Sucks you had the flat, but yay for fixing it before the dude came along!!! and Gunnar....too cute for words!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!