Monday, March 15, 2010

Season Opener

First things first – I didn’t talk about it much recently because I was actually VERY nervous about my season opening race.  I have not done a solo run race in a while and I started to freak out.  I have been doing my long runs, my speed work but I’ve also been a little worn out from swimming and riding.  I think this just contributed to my anxiousness.  I wanted a PR but I just didn’t feel like I was PR ready.  Instead, I just didn’t mention it but now that it’s over….we can talk…tom king

Saturday was the Tom King Half Marathon in Nashville.  As a local race, it is a great one.  It is the flattest you’re going to get in these parts.  The race organization is excellent, at least in my experience.  Negatives, the weather usually sucks and this did not disappoint AND the scenery isn’t great.  It’s a low key event with a GREAT after race atmosphere and buffet.  Full on breakfast buffet action.  Totally rocks.  Anyway, the race. 

Start, cold damp, and I’m nervous as hell.  I seriously felt like I was going to barf.  WTF?!  I know I can do this it was just a matter of how fast.  I want a PR but am I PR ready, I want 1:45 but am I 1:45 ready?  I knew going in that 1:45 was going to be a real stretch for me right now.  So, I settled on 1:47:XX as my PR goal in my mind.  It was a PR by a minute or so and now was the time for baby steps.

I was hanging with my peoples before the gun went off, some nervous chatter, nervous pooping and random butt rubbing.  My left cheek was already sore and I found myself just standing there, talking to people, rubbing my arse.  Oh well, thankfully, they know me well enough not to care.  One thing I will never understand, people shoving food down their pie hole right before the start, gels, bars, bananas.  If I ate that much five minutes before race time, I’d barf.  Guess someone told them to be fueled up.    Anyway, we moved our way to the starting line – gun shot – scalded cat, I was off…

Mile 1 – 7:51 – too fast

Mile 2 – 7:51 – maybe not, I feel like I could do this all day.  This IS a stupid thought.

Mile 3 – 7:53 – mmm, 1:45???

Mile 4 – 7:56 – maybe I can pull this off.  I think this is about when my sandbagger friends, Will and Kathy blew by me like I was standing still.  I’m not sure Will can prove it, though.  A faulty chip….

Mile 5 – 8:08 – I better have some water.  There goes Coach flying by on his way back ‘home.’  I know I yelled or grunted at him at least but he pretty much gets tunnel vision.  I know he didn’t hear me.

Mile 6 – 8:00- if I just make it to mile 8, I’m home free.  Why did I think this?  That’s still quite a ways to go. Around this point, there’s a turn around so I get to see my peeps.

Mile 7 – 8:05 – It’s OK, it’s OK, you’re just settled in now.

Mile 8 – 8:09 – Crap this hurts, I don’t like to run this hard. If I make it to mile 10, I’m home free.  Why did I think this again?  That still leaves a 5K!

Mile 9 – 8:13 – Wheels are coming off, wheels are coming off.  Shit, shit, shit, this hurts, I hurt, I don’t want to run any more.

Mile 10 – 8:24 - I’m at 10, yay, double digits.  My junk hurts, my legs hurt, my muscles hurt.  This has been hard work.  Maybe I should drink something (foreshadowing).

Mile 11 – 8:30 - Holy shit, I should have drank more.  My foot is crammmping, my right foot is going to give.  Mind over matter, relax the muscles, relax the muscles.

Mile 12 – 8:32 - OK, drinking more now is not going to help my situation much.  Foot, ow, ow, ow.  Now I have tunnel vision.

Mile 13 – 8:13 - Hells yes, hells yes, I can see the finish line, I can make it around this damn stadium.  The faster I go, the faster I’ll be done, the faster I go, the faster I’ll be done.

Mile .1 – 1:03 - OMG, OMG, I hurt, I hurt, I hurt.  Wait, does my watch say 1:46:54?  Clock, clock, it says 1:47something.  Holy crap, holy crap, maybe, just maybe I hit my watch at the right time.  (I did!) OMG, huh, huh, huh, I’m so glad that is over.  Now, where’s the food?

Yep, I was thrilled with the outcome.  Draw your own conclusions on my race plan and strategy.  I thought about throwing in the towel more than once.  Do NOT give in, Do NOT give up, even when you think the wheels are coming off.

Stay tuned…tomorrow….puppy fever!

 

29 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats, nice race

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Congrats on the PR!

My only advice?

Next time, PACK IN THE FOOD just before the race ... THEN, just GIVE UP around mile 5.

Also? Barf a lot.

joyRuN said...

PR, baby!!

Plus a post-race breakfast buffet? Sounds like an excellent event all around.

1:45 up next...

FLATOUT JIM said...

It's all about the food!

San said...

Wohoo, you've done it. Congrats.

Really funny post.

Cheers.

Kim said...

sweet PR!!!!! so glad to hear you didnt poop yourself!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Could be a record year.
Way to go!!

Love and Puppies, Christy said...

Congrats - that's a great race!

skierz said...

Awesome race! Love your attitude and and race reports! Glad you reached yuour gaol! The rest of us who did not lknow what you were up to had every confidence you would! Great work!

Amanda said...

Nice race! 'specially on tired legs. TTT....here we come!

Dave said...

looks like an epic racing year for you....got to love that...what are you going to do next year to top this...ULTRAMAN...;-)

Beth said...

Congrats on your time!!

Did it rain on you the whole time? We were drowning in Alabama.

ShirleyPerly said...

W00T!!!

Congrats on your PR. I felt like you did more than once on my race last weekend too. Here's to not giving in!

Judi said...

nice, congrats girlie. you did it.

Wes said...

my junk hurts

Thanks for that one :-) I like Glaven's advice, but I would add a pre-race beer to the mix!

Molly said...

Way to go!!!! It's a good reminder for me that PRs don't come easy and you do have to hurt a bit to earn them.

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Woohoo! Congrats on your race! Oh, and I love the internal dialogue in your post...hilarious! :)

Julie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Right on, and way to hang in there!! :) :)

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

great race time! I'm with you on how can anyone eat all that crap right before the gun goes off! it's so crazy how our minds work when running long distances. thank goodness we learn to ignore those crazy inner thoughts.

MCM Mama said...

Way to hang in there! Nice PR!

Will you cheer me in at the Oak Barrel half, seeing as how you'll be at least 15 minutes ahead of me? LOL

aron said...

awesome job pushing through and not giving up!!! and you still got your goal time - way to go :)

KK said...

Awesome! Congrats on a well earned PR. ou are in better shape than you think you are.

LOL at the whole starting line fiasco-including you rubbing your arse. SICK.

Velma said...

Awesome work!!!

Runner Leana said...

Woohoo, congratulations on the PR!!! Yowza, that is fast. What did you get for food at the buffet?

Puppy fever?? :)

Bill said...

Great race; nice pace. Any day you PR is a great day!

Aka Alice said...

LOL at "my junk hurts" because I sometimes think that.

I don't get how people can eat right before they run either.

Good enough race plan to me. Just think, if you hadn't been a rabbit at the beginning, you may not have PR'd (yes, this kind of thinking always gets me into trouble too).

Seriously though Missy, Congrats!

Jo Lynn said...

Man! All my blogger running friends are SO f&CK*NG fast! Congratulations Missy. You are a rock star in my book.

Thanks for your support on my blog as well - your comments really mean a lot to me and provide me with strength daily as I re-read them. xoxo ;)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great job!

Alisa said...

I'm catching up on race reports. Way to kick PR ass at your season opener chica!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!