Monday, February 22, 2010

No Love on Love Circle

So, you open up your workout schedule and see hill repeats. Is there anything more painful OR more boring than repetitive work like that? I mean, the pain in my lungs and then the pain in my legs, and then just doing the same thing three times. Well, that was until I found a little gem in town. Yeah, I'm about a decade behind too. Apparently, it's a favorite place for Love, we'll say. I had no clue that I was in store for a treat, I just knew there would be pain. At my pace, it was going to take ~7 minutes to climb, coach says. Wow, yeah, not short.

#1 - take it easy, don't push it. Save it for the last two. All I'm thinking is - if I slow down any more, I'm walking. The swoosh of my gortex pants was so annoying that I couldn't stand myself. Final push involves stairs to get to the top most point. Stairs, really!? And then, there it was...
The Nashville Skyline before dawn. The town is still asleep and I get to see it from 'the top.' Yeah, this isn't the greatest picture but you get the idea. I was doubled over, heaving, trying to catch my breath and trying to catch a peak at this before I headed back down. The descent was questionable since it was dark and I was just hoping not to fall on the hill into the little DNA pool that constitutes Love Hill.

#2 - make this faster than the #1. Crap, really, faster?! I think I laid it on the line pretty good the first time. Nothing changes except for one thing - now I know what's at the top and I'm like a dog learning a new trick. - Now if I just get to the top, I get a treat, if I just get to the top, I get another treat, be a good girl and just do what he says. I get to the top and yep, it hasn't moved, I was faster and I almost puked on my shoe, perfect. BUT, I got another glimpse of the skyline as the light starts to peak out, that thin line of pink where the sun tries to break through. Back down....

#3 - faster than #2 or #1, I don't know if I have it but I DO know that I have a treat waiting for me at the top and it is to be slightly different than the last two times. Yep, I have determined that I can train like a dog. If there's a little treat waiting for me, it sure makes it not so painful or at least not so repetitive. TOP for the LAST time ... ahhhh, doubled over, heaving, trying to catch my...breath...but look...more...sun...city...is...waking...up. Now, if there was just a snack and a coffee waiting for me on the last one, that would have taken the cake!

...and it's all been outside my 'front door' this whole time. Wow, I need to get out more! Recovery week for me and yep, you're right, I'm thrilled. I am currently nursing a nagging shoulder so it'll mostly be cycling, running and shoulder rehab for me. Forgive me if I seem to be lacking in swim here. It'll just have to wait a few weeks.

20 comments:

Diana said...

Pavlov would be so impressed!
Nice job and what a view-totally worth it!


How silly that my word verification is "wines"!!!!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

OUCH, Not fun in my opinion, my treat would have to be pizza or prime rib waiting for me each time.

Dave said...

great job on hill repeats...oh what fun....;-) yep...this past weekend trail race and started saying to myself...if I see one more hill, I will freaking die....

KC said...

what a nice view/reward! also, best way to get the day started with a good workout under your belt. hill repeats=speed work in disguise...good job!

MCM Mama said...

Way to run for the reward! Great job on the repeats!

Al's CL Reviews said...

great view!

Velma said...

Nice picture! I have hill repeats tomorrow - good times.

Happy recovery

skierz said...

sounds like a lot of fun Missy!@ You vivid descriptoin makes me look forward to m hill workout! Happy Monday! :)

Bill said...

Nice payoff for the hill repeats. My only question is: do you need to run the hills in the dark this time of year?

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, I'm jealous!!!

I really, REALLY wish we had some, any real hills around where I am in Orlando. Not that I'm a fan of puking but I love getting to the top of hills for some reason. Great job on your hill repeats and thanks for sharing the Love-ly view!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

WOA - NICE WORK!!! What an incredible hill repeat workout...at least you had a great view at the top. Awesome! Enjoy the recovery week and I hope your shoulder feels better asap!!!!

Kim said...

holy hill hell!!!! way to get em done girl. im sure breakfast afterwards was phenomenal!

Heidi Austin said...

i love hills....disgusting right?? sounds better than my 800m repeats in the pool. yuck. double yuck

Runner Leana said...

3 x 7 min? 7 min is one long hill to run up! Nice job!!! The view would definitely be a reward at the top, although a snack and a coffee would definitely make it complete.

joyRuN said...

SEVEN damn minutes of climbing? Then repeat x3?!

Damn.

Jo Lynn said...

That IS a pretty view. Really? Before dawn? I don't know how you do it - get up so damn early. You're no pussy, that's for sure. ;)

KC said...

i am doing the 3S3M challenge! Can't wait. Wondering if it's harder than 6 gap? Have you done
3S3M before?

Wes said...

I will now call you Pavlov (or Tripav) :-)

prashant said...

Great job on the repeats!

Work From Home

prashant said...

.this past weekend trail race and started saying to myself...if I see one more hill, I will freaking die....

Work From Home

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!