Monday, January 11, 2010

Week One, down and the Blind Side

Week one of Triple T training complete. I have quickly forgotten how hungry and how sleepy I get during regular training weeks. I completed 9 of 10 of my prescribed workouts and since I did ZERO the week prior, I'm pretty happy that I survived. It was slow, it was ugly, I bitched a lot but it's done.

Now, I'm not looking for cold weather sympathy. Many of yous have it much harder than I do here in TN. HOWEVER, it has been in the single digits and low teens, add in icy roads and I'm NOT running on ice, nor am I equipped or willing to buy what it would take. This will be short lived. What does this mean...I had to venture inside a gym. Except for swimming, I HATE A gym and everything involved in going to that little germ factory. I suppose I just hate being inside at almost any cost. Saturday afternoon - 8 mile run on my schedule - who says increase distance by 10%? I just increased it my 100%, big whoop. Anyway, stood there waiting in an unofficial line, jockey-ing for position to get on one of 12 treadmills. After 15 minutes, I get one and see the posted sign - 40 minute MAX on cardio equipment. 40 minutes? I can't do what I need in 40 minutes. (I am able to hold on for about 70 until another line develops). That 70 minutes reminded me of everything I hate about being inside. I don't run with music BUT I did on this day. I just couldn't bear listening to all the huffing, puffing, farting and shoe tread on the belt. GAWD! One look around and you could just see all the New Years Resolutioners - hell, I don't belong there either but it's always comical in January...

Ms. Lawnmower Running shoes - a slim girl with running shoes that are dry rotted and caked with grass and poop from mowing the lawn. She has decided to get in shape for the new year. Her shape was just fine, you wouldn't blink twice.

Mr. Race T-Shirt - The guy who wears his last race t-shirt that is over two years old and jumps on a treadmill trying to scream - I belong here, I belong here, see my race t-shirt, I ran a half marathon once.

Mr. Big - This guy just gets a prize for getting out and getting moving. It wasn't pretty but I truly hope he sticks with it. His size may kill him if he's not careful.

Mr. Ass - OK, is there anything weirder than a guy with a big ass? A big ass is reserved for women, we own that body part, guys get a gut, period. Well, you will see the big ass guy on occasion and it's just odd to me. Even better, Mr. Ass liked to trot on a treadmill and play the air drums. Oh, yes, I laughed out loud and probably snorted. He couldn't hear me, he was jammin.

Mrs. I don't want to be here, I hate this place - That's me! I DON'T belong and probably am taking a treadmill from a regular client. They're looking at me thinking the same thing - daYum New Year's Resolution bitch is on my treadmill. I haven't see her here before and she decides to come on a Saturday afternoon. Well, all true. Thankfully, I won't be back unless absolutely necessary ... ice or weather in the teens.

The Blind Side - Magnus Update

Our boy is healing really well and adjusting to his blind side. We're working on calling him from left to see how he handles the blind side. He's doing just fine...except for the cone. He HATES the cone of shame. He has shattered and torn at least two and this one is under repair with pieces missing from it. Bull in a china shop...


This is his blind side, his eye-less side. He's not winking at ya!

This is both of us winking at ya, though...

27 comments:

Dave said...

Your run down of the resolutioners makes me laugh...always...btw...since I have so many running tec race shirts...I never buy running shirts now....so I would be one of those guys wearing a race jersey....making it to your blog...oh good times I tell ya...

FLATOUT JIM said...

Blah Blah Blah IT's cold Blah Blah Blah Icy Roads, Blah Blah Blah Hate Treamill.

No sympathy here princess! Suck it up.

Carly said...

You have my sympathy about the cold. It is TN for crying out loud!!! Those temps are miserable even for MN.

Nice job getting back into those workouts. I totally LMAO at the gym descriptions.

skierz said...

Good first week! Fun isn't it! Love your account of the gym peoeple! I hate inside as well, would rather run in snow over my ankles than have to be on a treadmill experiencing the social dliemna of a gym! Good to hear about getting use to hhis new vision(where is the piate eye) Cheers

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hate the cold and its flippin cold here right now and it has snowed for the last 9 days in some way, shape, or form. I dont have choice, its either the man cave or the gym.

Amanda said...

Way to git 'er done! 8 mile trail race in the snow on Saturday here. It took having my coach out there to get me to go. Where's the warm up???

Jon Gilchrist said...

yeah...pooh no "10%" increases..lol. Actually, I'm glad to see you are moving along again. And MR Airdrums? I hear Phil Collins right now...lol

kristen said...

Gawd I love you. You never fail to disapoint with a witty post. Your hilarious. I bet they were all thinking you were some new bitch taking up their treadmill. I love air drums.

The gym is a freak show! bottom line!

Nice week of workouts. I hope your feeling better and this week is 'easier' on the body.

p.s. Magnus is still adorable. Poor guy. I would be breaking those damn things left and right too!

Susi said...

don't forget those that wear full makeup or have on mass quantity's of cologne/perfume in the gym. cough. sputter. haha. magnus is looking as adorable as ever and i love that he's always winking at ya! :)

Carolina John said...

i'm tired of the resolutioners too. already. i hate having to wait on a treadmill behind walkers. but i do hope that the really obese people in there can stick with it. we've all been there before, and other people hated us getting in there way some too.

Keith said...

I'm glad you're not looking for sympathy about cold weather. You won't find it here, and my toon town buddies will laugh at you. And at me too. I feel your pain with the icy roads and sidewalks though. That makes me really nervous.

So far no treadmill for me this winter, hoping this continues. The whole gym thing just grosses me out. I think about the choice - take a small risk of slipping and falling with nothing hurting more than my pride, or go into some germ infested sweathole where you have no control over what you're inhaling, touching, and smelling, short of wearing a space suit.

Yes, they were all looking at you, Miss Resolutionista, taking up a regular's machine. And there's nothing wrong with your shape either, though I bet you're wearing proper shoes. Going 70 minutes, probably as fast as the machine would go, they all though you were showing off, no doubt.

You know, all that winking, and Magnus is going to be attracting all the girl dogs in sight.

Runner Leana said...

Oh no, the cone of shame! I always feel for the poor doggies that have to wear one. I hope he doesn't have to put up with it for much longer! How is he healing up?

Missy, I am so with you on the treadmill. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Our time limit is 30 minutes at the Y. It just feels like 30 minutes of pure torture!!

D said...

I've been getting the gym stink-eye too, but I think it's because I'm the new chick that works her ass off! (I do my tempos and intervals on the treadmill)
Oh and we have a 15min time limit hahaha. I, obviously, abide by this.

MCM Mama said...

LOL at your description of the resolution gym goers. Makes me so glad I have a treadmill at home.

Glad Magnus is healing well. Bet he'll be happy when that cone is gone.

Heidi Austin said...

sounds like my sunday too... my favorite is "i'm here to pick up meat heads with her dangly earrings and perfect makeup"- i make sure to fling more sweat in her direction.

Vickie said...

Yeah, don't you just love the gym the first couple of weeks in January? I usually go early enough in the day to avoid the weirdos, but occasionally I slip up and end up with someone like you mentioned next to me. My least favorites however are the ones who monopolize the personal TV on their treadmill or machine as well as all the wall TVs, with every news channel available and hog the remotes so no one can change anything or play music. But when you have to get the training done, you do what you have to.

Molly said...

I'm just starting my first big week in 2 months. Heaven help me.

Glad Magnus is slowly getting better - I'm sure he'll be happy to get that cone off!

Jo Lynn said...

Oh, look at him. Is he still pissed off? Is that a jacket I see on Magnus' legs?
I love the picture of you two winking. ;)

Kim said...

no matter the weather, i will never hit a treadmill, but i have noticed the newbies at the pool - one guy was wearing tighty whities underpants. yup.

i love magnus, he's so darn cute.

Diana said...

Nice description of the gym "rats"! I can totally picture them all, they are so close to half of the patients I take care of!!
You southern states just don't have the right equipment for such cold weather, it's quite bizarre this shit going on. where the hell is Al Gore and his flapping bullshit gums now????!!!! Oops, did I get a political dig in this comment?? Why yes I did...hehehehe ;)
Run on, run strong, run "outside!"

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great descriptions!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

hee hee New Year's at the gym is always fun. Due to the sucking cold, snow and ice here in Maryland I too have been relegated to gym runs. UGH! I have an iTunes, Lance Armstrong "coaching" that helps....some. I am lucky to last 3 miles on the treadmill. Tomorrow I am trying the compu-trainer at the bike shop...haven't been on the bike since the end of November!
I hope Magnus adjusts to his pirate life well and quickly. Poor baby. He's still a looker even with one eye!

San said...

Glad that magnus is on the way to recovery.

On the treadmill thing. I do understand how you feel. But I also think you should be gratefull that you can get on a treadmill anyway. I can't go to a gym, so I have to put my running off, it's this or breaking my legs out in the snow. So drown the bad things out and get over with it. Good weather will be back soon enough.

Alisa said...

I too hate the resolutioners. I haven't been able to get into a spin class this week. My Feb they will all be gone. I do actually enjoy the gym so I really hate this time of year.

Fat ass man, that's hilarious. You don't really see big butts on dudes usually.

Oh the race shirt...one thing I hate is when you see spectators at races with race shirts on just so you know that they race too. Ugh gag me!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

The Blind Side 2 (the movie) the story of a dawg from the hood and his cracker family....hmmmm

KK said...

Hilarious. The farting at gyms has GOT to stop. It's disgusting and inappropriate. LedOL at the visual of the guy jammin. Probably like Brad Pitt in Burn After reading.

Happy New Year! Hoping you see warmer weather soon!

ShirleyPerly said...

The only time I wear headphones is on a treadmill. My gym does not seem to have the "entertainment" you have, though :-)

Glad to hear Magnus is healing up. That cone cannot be fun to wear.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!