Sunday, January 24, 2010

And the angels sang...

...and gave me this very special gift, recovery week. Yes, angels flew out of my coaches butt when I saw this week on my schedule. I DO love it so. To me, it's just the rejuvenation I need to get it rolling again. Three weeks in the bank and this one, the fourth one, will be a piece of cake.

I started to feel overwhelmed as I looked at my race schedule and training plans as we ramp up to May. I mean, REALLY overwhelmed in the - I can't do this - kind of way. I mean, I know I CAN do it, it just seems like so much right now. Thing is, it's not and it's not even close to 'so much.' I know I can do more, like double. I've done it before, right? So, my good friend Dave just said, one day at a time, one week at a time and don't get caught up in those six weeks of peak week hell. Just keep on plugging away and it all will come. I know he's right, right?

I did get to end my week on a high note - a long run that just felt good and, gulp, FUN and a ride that was very painful and hard but good. All workouts complete. Yeehaw. I suppose that's how it all happens, everything just starts to fall into place and feel right or normal again. That's where I am, getting into the routine and starting to enjoy it. I really hate getting caught in the 'have to' of all my workouts. Why did I start doing all this in the first place, duh, it's fun. Getting back into the swing and being around all my friends and training partners certainly helps. They are a daYum funny bunch I tell ya. They say things like - the callouses on my arse and cooter bone are not developed yet, this ride is going to hurt OR my shoes feel like their filled with water and I know I didn't piss on myself. Yeah, they make a 7:30am Sunday Computrainer ride fuuun.

17 comments:

Shannon said...

"So, my good friend Dave just said, one day at a time, one week at a time and don't get caught up in those six weeks of peak week hell. Just keep on plugging away and it all will come. I know he's right, right?"

Dave is right about everything! Stick with it girl, we are here for you. :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Its only Jan, and my coach has me going thru hell, fartleks in Jan, really???? But we will be ready once the races begin.

untpawgal02 said...

Glad your enjoying your training and have relalized just how fun this sport really is!

skierz said...

one day at a time is the best advice I have ever been given! I was at a clinic a while back and a elite IM woman said she runs the tough part of her races that way. breaks it down into small pieces and it makes it a breeze for her! Awesome momentum! keep on truckin'! cheers

Dave said...

Missy...you have heard me say it before...EMBRACE THE RECOVERY WEEK...because in 3 more weeks....you get another one...just like climbing a hill...keep your head down and before you know it, then it's done....unless you die on that hill then that's another story...;-)

Keith said...

I'm gonna have to get into a computrainer ride one of these days.

Seriously, angels??

The word is subpr. That has to be a good omen.

Carly said...

Your friend Dave is very wise. I might use his advice too. Sounds like the training is going very well. Enjoy your recovery week!

MCM Mama said...

Lovin' having a recovery week here too. I try really hard not to worry too much about the upcoming weeks.

Glad you have some fun people to train with.

Wes said...

2nd training week done. With the exception of a few five minute off the bike runs, I nailed everything. Time to start moving my weekly goals to something a little more "physical" :-)

Carolina John said...

that's too funny missy. bask in the glow of recovery week!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Keep moving! You're doing great!

joyRuN said...

Enjoy the week!

I can't look too far ahead in any training schedule - the mileage FREAKS me out every single time.

kristen said...

It's just the begining girl no wonder it feels so overwhelming. If anybody can tackle this and come out on top - it YOU! Your freind is right. Keep plugging away at it. Not all your workouts are going to be great, but the end result will be priceless.

When do these damn callouses begin to form on my cooter?! Holy smokes!

Judi said...

you are doing great missy!

just saw your comment on kims blog and about spit my water up. :) you're a trip.

mmbaker said...

So THAT is what puffed the bed sheets! Angels. I feel much better now.

Keri said...

Yay for a recovery week! You kick booty! Keep plugging away!

ShirleyPerly said...

One of the things I love about my coach is that he only gives me my workouts 1 week at a time. I have no idea what will be coming along later so I don't stress about it much, or rather AS much. So maybe hide all your other weeks so you can't see them? Whatever, glad you ended on a high note!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!