Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
So there it was. We did ~3000 last nite, not a ton but not bad. 5K, 5K, 5K, Miami Open Water Swim. I got some work to do, that's for sure. Mr. PT says I'm getting better but no running...boooo. I can kick and push of the wall and ride a bike. Now, if it'll just warm up. I don't care WHAT is on TV, I hate the trainer, borrrring.Vegetarian Challenge - day 5 - All I can say is you better plan for your your meals and don't let them happen to you. I am still on track but had some random shiz that didn't really go together last nite...can't just make a turkey sandwich right now. I'm happy with everything so far and I've learned a ton. I know it's only day 5 but I'm not really craving anything EXCEPT for fish. For some reason, I'm dying for fish tacos and sushi. Maybe the lead is low in my diet or something! I can even deal with fake sausage. I do LIKE the fact that I'm not biting into a piece of gristle or hard nugget. Once that happens, I'm out, sausage, burger, whatever. Gives me the creeps. I might even be able to do the vegan thing at some point but in my humble opinion, cheese trumps everything. I could die from a cheese withdrawal and don't even talk to me about soy cheese. Chocolate soy milk, OK, soy cheese or vegan 'butter' - I think NOT!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
Day Two - Vegetarian Challenge Week
Breakfast - whole wheat tortilla, egg whites, dog food replacement sausage soy product (see below) wrapped up nicely and eaten on the road, oh yeah, coffee, must have.
Lunch - whole wheat pita, chic pea spread stuff that I made myself, cucumber salad and Amy's butternut squash soup (love it).
Snacks - two pieces of string cheese and a yogurt
Dinner - asparagus, red onion, tofu (the key with tofu is baking it first to get the funky out, kind of like soaking fish in milk before cooking to get the fishy out, maybe my mom was the only one that did that?), crushed red pepper, fresh lemon juice.
Results: Totally satisfied, not hungry and not that stuffed to the gills I can't eat another bite feeling, but full. I liked everything I had. I'm getting used to tofu but I'm convinced that you've got to bake it before you can actually use it as a main ingredient in a stir fry or something.
Now I love asparagus BUT I was actually scared when I looked at my plate full of the stuff...I will drive everyone out of the house if I just eat plates of asparagus. I tell you, I can eat asparagus soup and have the same affect....don't even tell me you don't know what I'm talking about (it has nothing to do with beano or gas of any kind either)! They tell me some people don't have this 'problem' but I think they're all lying...either that or the Ph in my body is really jacked up. Anyway, just ate it so it'll take about two minutes to take affect, sheesh!
On Sunday, we had our 30 minute time trial at swim. I say TT but it's more like - what can you hold consistently for 30 minutes rather than balls to the wall. As my first day of kicking since the sprained ankle, I did 1650 meters (long course) in 30 minutes. That's no record and not the best I've ever done but I'll take it ... for now. We do this with Excel about every six weeks to measure progress and get ourselves all situated in the proper lanes/proper intervals. I got some work cut out for me if I'm going to do this 5K swim thingy on April 25. Holy crap....that's only three months. Better get busy with some water.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
After that, I had to figure out this tofu thing. I had a recipe for stuffed shells made with firm tofu, spices, spinach, garlic, olive oil. Except for the fact that I didn't add enough salt, it was great, very filling and creamy.
THEN, the family wanted to go out for pizza. Fine, I had pizza with mushrooms, tomatoes and banana peppers. I didn't get all militant on the pizza guy asking about the details of the sauce - I just didn't get any meat on my pizza. So, one day in the bank. I DO feel like I missed out on the pizza though, pepperoni is the shiz niz for me. All in all, a good first day. Tomorrow, some chick pea spread, cucumber salad and yogurt for lunch - that'll be the hardest, not going out to lunch with my peeps.
I was also tagged by Chloe...we share a love of triathlon and Rock of Love Bus with Bret Michaels, what can we say, we take our trash TV seriously. So, Five of my Fabulous Addictions are:
- Any show where people have to come over some obstacle and HOPEFULLY come out on top - Biggest Loser (love it) and Intervention on A&E. It's all a train wreck but I can't seem to look away.
- Dr. Pepper chapstick - I have at least five at all times so I don't have to ever go without.
- Coke - After a hard workout, I find that there is nothing better than a cold Coca-Cola. Protein schmotein, I need some sugar damn it.
- My Booberry (aka Blackberry) - I don't know how fabuloso that one is but I'm totally addicted...I'm that guy walking in the airport bumping in to people while I'm returning emails BUT I'm not yelling on the phone so give me a break.
- Sleeper Peeper eyemask - it has totally become my teddy bear, I can't sleep without it OR rather, I can't sleep with even a slip of light coming in from an alarm clock or tv; gotta be pitch black. It's a very hot look.
And my five fabulous bloggers to be tagged will have to wait...I think Rock of Love Bus is on right now, got to roll...
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Riding - half check - once a week, hardly worth it BUT it is an ass kicking ride so...I change that to a check
Swimming - three-four times a week - two checks
Weights/Abs - three times a week - check
PT and standing on one leg exercises - three times a week...and costs the most, WTF?So there it is, I'm feel totally lame-o. Swimming yardage hasn't been huge since I'm not kicking yet. All sets (for me) are just pulling and by the end of 2500-3000 my arms are shot and I have to get out or I'll sink. Cycling is good and I WILL do more of it this week, got the go ahead from Mr. PT. Running, still no running.
This is not my dog but I bet this will be me at the end of next week....as I work through my next challenge for 2009....
On to the next challenge for 2009 - it was #1 on the list, go vegetarian for one week. I have spent at least four hours on trying to figure this thing out. I haven't even started the challenge (to commence tomorrow) and it's pretty confusing for a non-vegetarian, like myself. I'm mostly concerned with protein sources, how to get em, how not to just eat a damn salad everyday and how am I going to pass up the smell of delicious bacon, mmmm, bacon. Anyway, did you know there's like a gazillion kinds of tofu? Baked, firm, extra firm, soft, seasoned, blah, blah, blah. I'm figuring this is going to be a good source of protein for this next week. There's only so many damn nuts I can eat. I'm not going for the full monty, er, vegan. I will use eggs, milk and cheese. I felt really great when I did my 5 a day challenge but have been a total schmuck on getting it to stick. If nothing else, I'll learn some new veggie recipes to supplement future meals.
DA moment of the week....Excel Swim 5am, leaving house at 445, driving down the interstate and feel the need to spit (head cold, won't give you the loogey details, OK I just did). I'm thinking that I really perfected my spitting skills this last year on the bike, how hard can this be. Apparently, very hard. Riding and spitting at 19mph not the same as driving and spitting at 75 mph, the wind up, the spit, bam, right down the door of my car. Damn it all to hell, it's freezing out and I don't want looge frozen on the car sooo, I wipe it off. No problem. BUT THEN, I'm walking out after swim, dressed for work, make up on, hair did, and I wind up and spit again (YES, headcold is rolling). Did you know this is not really an acceptable habit in our culture? Yeah, I do too but I wasn't even thinking about it. On a bike, on a run, snot rockets are perfectly acceptable, NOT when your dressed for work. Beware of the spitting lady leaving the pool, apologies to my unsuspecting victims.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
- I LOVE the Biggest Loser, totally obsessed with it. I can watch the weigh in with heated anticipation each week (Joelle is so weak of mind it kills me). Is it wrong to eat ice cream pie while watching BL as I sit on the sofa? I kinda felt weird about it...like they were watching ME through the tv saying, why don't you try a yogurt or this stick of sugar free gum? Listen, ice cream sandwich pie, hot fudge and peanut butter chips AIN'T NO STICK OF GUM OR YOGURT...I'm here to tell ya...where to put that stick of gum.
- I hate that football is over, for all practical purposes. I don't know what I'm going to do on Sunday's...other than swim.
- Good tequila is really good. Crappy tequila is rot gut.
- Rock of Love Bus 2 kicked off two lovely ladies last week - one had a boyfriend at home (shocker) and the other was a psycho ex-porn star who stole everyone's socks...yep, socks, tube socks...coming to eBay very soon.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Yeah, Yeah, I know what you're thinkin'! I meant a lace up brace bootie for my ankle, ha, ha, made you look. Anyway, doctor...he will be referred to as Dr. Tri (sports med ironman dock). I wait at Dr. Tri's office in my hoootttt cycling shorts and mismatched top full well knowing he's going to need to see the legs and ankle, plus x-rays, I'm prepared. I EVEN shaved my legs since he'd be 'right there.' Then he walked in and sat down. Few pleasantries, I asked if he needed to hear my heart, no, maybe my lungs then, no, damn. Are you sure Dr. Tri, isn't everything kind of connected somehow? No, oh well, nice try. He asked the question, What happened? I pulled this rock out of my pocket and said this little rock happened, now get me better.
After going over the sprained ankle, pretty straight forward, we discussed my knee. I had some issues leading up to IM but nothing debilitating. He says - your something something in latin muscle needs to beef up and pull the kneecap in. Your knee cap is hitting the bone causing the discomfort, kneecap is tracking out. Yeah, yeah, PT, Aleve, I got it.
Then I ask about my neck that is on fire, has been for a while. Dr. Tri says - how about going in for a bike fit? Some adjustments might just get you back into the right position and alleviate the stress. I had a bike fit scheduled at my LBS, Gran Fondo, that afternoon, perfect, love those guys. Dr. Tri says - you know XXXX Bike Shop does a really good job butttt (hesitates), I really like how XXXX Bike Shop does their fits butttt (hesitates)...I look at him and said - Yeah, but that guy is a douche, total d-bag, how he's still in business, I'll never know. Yes, I said it to Dr. Tri, that guy is a douche. He is, though, what can I say. He may be the Doctor but he's just an ironman guy at heart so I didn't feel too bad. He looked at me laughed and then had that extra pause just to make sure I wasn't a total freak. At least he had a good story to take home that nite, a girl brought me a rock and called a guy a douche bag in my office today. Ha!
All said, PT to learn some new strength building moves, riding is OK, swimming, pull only, no running for another week (duh). Still haven't hardly used my new Christmas Garmin and I've got a shiny new pair of running shoes just waiting for me. I CAN'T wait.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Swim, football AND Rock of Love Bus, oh yeah, trash TV at its finest. I can't wait...I really can't wait to get in these new shoes. New shoes make me faster, don't they?
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Does this seat make my ass look big? Does it really look like my ass is actually eating this seat? Truth yes, unless your pro and weigh 52lbs, your ass is eating that teeny little seat.
Wear a chlorine ridden suit to swim class that is half see thru and just start walking around like nothing is wrong...then start asking, is this see through, OMG, I had NO idea;)
OR walk up to a guy in your swim class or at the pool and just say, hey man, I can see your ass through that suit. They'll jump in the water so damn fast that it'll crack your ass up AND then, watch them scurry to the showers at the end.
My personal favorite, goose a neighbor underwater while you're swimming by and just keep on going.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
I seriously need to go to the largest swimming pool in the world, look at this place? Are you kidding me?
Random thoughts in no particular order...
- Rock of Love Bus with Bret Michaels is the most trashtastic show I have EVER seen. Strippers calling each other trashy and low rent, exccccellent.
- I'm totally addicted to the Biggest Loser and any other show where people lose tons of weight. Jerry and Dan just fell below the yellow line, the two greatest contestants. I just can't look away....like Half Ton Teen and Half Ton Dad.
- Family Guy is the most irreverent show on television. I love it!
- 5K is 3.1 miles...that might be short on land but that's a damn long way in the water. What the hell am I thinking?!?
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Yesterday's schedule - get to our training class (10:30ish) with local cycling celebrity, Todd, Endeavor Performance (cycling) for an hour and a half, quick change to get on our Titan's gear for the playoff game and head to the stadium. I've done spin classes but not like this, with MY bike in a semi-real world situation rather than some chickie that wants to do aerobics on a bike. By cyclists for cyclists. After that thorough flogging, realization that I have a lot of work to do, and that good, "I'm so sweaty" feeling, we showered and got to the Titans vs. Ravens playoff game....rain, wind and droppping temps were not going to dampen my spirits. We cheered, we yelled, we stood for the entire game (interesting after the class) but it was not to be. We didn't deserve to win but it still bummed me out. Made our way home, 8:30ish, where I proceeded to take a hot shower to thaw and pass out. Holy crap. Got the dogs out this morning and got back into the bed until 8:45 and feeling like I could just stay right there...cool air, warm bed, down comforter...is there anything better? I haven't had that - I worked out so hard that I passed out - feeling in a long time. It was gooood. I like it a lot, probably too much.
Friday, January 9, 2009
One more day on the Five A Day Challenge and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's been harder than I expected to get all the veg in, fruit is so much easier because you can often throw it in a bag and roll out - a banana, apple - and eat it on the fly. Ryan looked at me and said - are we having fish and vegetables again? When is this vegetarian thing over? I didn't have the heart to tell him that I haven't even gotten to the vegetarian challenge yet.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
It was after swim last nite that I packed this in...cucumber salad with dill, mint, lemon juice, feta cheese and I jammed an avocado in the pita too. Much like the white dinner, this is the green dinner. Now, I did make an error but it was not with intent so I'm not starting the week long fart festival over. When I jammed the avocado in there to add a vegetable it made me think? What the hell is an avocado anyway? Yep, it's a damn fruit...the pit gave it away. I eat them all the time. I guess it was the savory vs. sweet flavor that made me think it was a veg. I know better now and will count correctly from here on out. Four days complete and here's what I know - the beano guys are on to something. It's just not easy to walk around the office 'holding it in' and I can't go with Ryan's theory - better out than in and let it fly. Letting it go on a run or ride is one thing but I'm not going to crop dust some poor, unsuspecting coworker. I'm thinking that the vegetarian week won't be so hard now. By the time I get in five veg and two fruit, I'm not terribly hungry. Gotta work on the protein part, though.
Swim was rockin and everyone was suckin! Virtually everyone is out of shape (some to more or lesser degrees). All I know is that I was able to hang on to 1:45 intervals and still had ~10 seconds rest. I was happy with that, for now. It was after I tagged my sprained ankle on the lane markers for the second time that I got out (skipped the last 400), ouch and double damn.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Swam yesterday and it was so great to be in water again...not so great to pour my ass back into a bathing suit so you can see everything squish out the side but WHATEVER. 5:00 a.m. swim at the ISC tomorrow morning, yeehaw. I hate the 5:00 a.m. swim but sometimes you just gotta suck it up, 4:15 alarm clock, barf. Oh and the Bachelor is the stupidest show on the effen planet - it was on while I was fondling my parsnips and roots and such and couldn't believe the crap coming out of their mouth. Women don't really talk like that, do they? Not the one's I know at least, Thank God!
Sunday, January 4, 2009
This is only two veg and two fruit. Two cups of lettuce is one veg - I swear I jammed it in that measuring cup, not looking to cheat already. Next to it is one cup of broccoli jammed in there and, of course, the apple and pear. I have to figure out a way to get in one more veg today...and it's pizza nite, Sunday's + pizza + football = the perfect kind of day. Oh yeah, and swimming this afternoon.
Friday, January 2, 2009
2. Train/Race with no heart rate monitor or watch - might be a 5K or a tri, not sure but I will train and race for one week with no gadgets, just go on feel and the official race clock. I think this will be harder than I think.
3. No TV for one week - this will have to wait until football season is over because THAT is just too much to ask. Oh, and I can't watch it on a computer either, no TV for a week. Do you know how much I love to watch the Biggest Loser!? I swear I'm fascinated by their ability to drop that much weight!
4. Swim everyday and/or do an open water long distance swim event - minimum one mile but would like to train and prepare for a 5K swim. Holy crap, 2.4 at an easy pace is one thing but a 5K with all I've got is another! Thankfully, I have the best swim coach on the planet.
5. Eat five fruits and veggies a day - this can not be combined with #1. This site is pretty sweet - http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/. You plug in your age, sex and activity level and it kicks out your requirements and what it 'looks' like. I'm 2 cups of fruit and 3 cups of veggies a day...why couldn't it be reversed?!
6. No alcohol for one week...have you seen my favorite things list? I love beer, wine, liquor. This, too, will have to wait for the end of football season. I can use it in cooking, though, but not like gin martini soup or anything like that!
7. Walk the dogs everyday. I'm totally sporadic on this one. Kasha is a 12 year old Boxer, left. She loves to swim but walking these days, not so much. I will commit to take her around our cul de sac a couple of times. BUT Magnus, right, is eight and is still ready to go, go, go but not quite at a running pace. I always say I'll walk them later or for my cool down or warm up but it doesn't happen. They get out to play and mess around but not for a real honest to goodness walk. Magnus' walk must be 20 minutes or more and Kasha will get to do whatever she wants for however long it takes (bad hips).
8. Learn three survival skills - why the hell do I listen to my adventure racing friends? They thought it would be neat for me to learn how to make fire with no matches, find local vegetation that is edible and filter water...seriously, when will I need these skills? Are they getting ready for the rapture or what?! BUT, with their help I will learn and master these three things, Lord help me.
9. Run a 1:45 half marathon - OK, this was supposed to happen in March. With this dumb ass ankle, I'm not so sure. I didn't want to drop it from the list for the year so there it is!
10. Mail a card or letter via snail mail to one friend or relative each day. Other than Christmas and Birthday's, when was the last time you got a card and E-Cards DON'T COUNT!11. Do one good charity 'thing' each day and one of the seven has to be a volunteer action. I always say I'm gonna but never do. One of them may be to take clothes and/or food to Snook (see below).
12. Read a book cover to cover and it has to be non-sporting - I will need good suggestions on this one. I'll read Going Long or something like that but that's about it. Need help in finding 'just a book.'
So, there it is. No resolutions, just challenges! My hope is that I can get some of them to 'stick.' I'm not exactly sure where to start but I'm thinking #5 with five fruits/veggies a day, my waistline could use the help, that's for sure. I will post results as they happen throughout the year. This will be interesting!