Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hot Yoga!

I'm doing it! Ever have those list of things you're 'going to do' during the off season but never do? I am FOREVER guilty of just swimming, cycling and running, period. I always SAY - yoga, weights, core, blah, blah, blah and I never DO. I am biting the bullet and doing something I'm totally uncomfortable with...yoga...hooootttt yoga.

Remember the first time you showed up at Masters Swim? If you're like me, you didn't even know what 'starting on the top' meant. I had no clue about pool etiquette and thought that I just wanted to survive. I was terrified that I would be the slowest, crappiest swimmer with all the wrong gear. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into but I just showed up and been there since 2006 or so. Fast forward to 2009, I feel like I could at least show up for most group rides, group runs or swims and have someone to hang with, it is where I am most comfortable.

I have decided it's now or NEVER. I am going to hot yoga (with the help of a friend) on Wednesday. I know there's all this zen crap and quiet time biz...Angie and I have NEVER been in a room or car together and NOT talked the entire time. We drove nine hours to Florida and never turned on the music, if that's any indication. I'm afraid that we will be asked to leave when I bust out laughing or make Angie laugh. This is going to be like two kids in church, I swear...without her, I'm not so sure I would go, though. So there it is, stay tuned for some total hilarity. I have no doubt that this is good for me, let's just see if I'm good for hot yoga.
Oh, and fart noises KILL me and throw me into a ball of laughter. I'm in trouble, I know.

Post Thanksgiving ramblings...

  • It IS possible to gain 5lbs in a weekend.
  • Is it eating and drinking everything in site that made me break out? I can't even say it was the pool, always my excuse. I'm 37, really, zits???
  • I really could have used just one more day.
  • I think sleeping in makes me more tired - I refused to get out of bed before 7:30-8:00am just because.
  • I'm glad I didn't go shopping on Black Friday.
  • Do you think hot yoga will help me sweat out the 5lbs I just consumed?
  • I'm so sick of turkey that I don't want another piece of poultry for a while.
  • When is the next holiday...I'm ready for more days off!

HOT YOGA....and it was MY idea. CRAP! AND, I'm going to make an attempt to go at LEAST three days in a weeks time. They say (whoever THEY is) it's best if you can hammer it out even if you feel crappy.

23 comments:

Shannon said...

My .02 on HOT yoga....Yoga is awesome, wonderful, and great for working flexibility in athletes. The HOT part is where I feel some people get in trouble. It's incredibly warm so make sure you are hydrated. Drink lots of water today. Good Luck~I wish I were in there with you.

blondie said...

gawd... let me know how hot yoga goes. I've been interested in it, but scared of it at the same time.

Keith said...

The problem with hot yoga, is that you have to know yoga already. You go from pose to pose to pose, all in a hot room. You'll sweat a bucket. Several buckets.

I got told it was really for already fit people (you) that like showing off, and already know yoga. So I got to a normal yoga class with a great instructor, and we laugh a lot.

skierz said...

you will not regret the decison! it is awesome! you will sweat 5 lbs and then some. If you can get passed the occassional fart sound, you might also find it helps out on your training! if it ia good studio they will make it a cool experience no matter what you know! Have fun, cant wait to hear your post on this adventure!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I'm right there with you... I need to become more flexible than a 2 by 4.

Age is a killer. Wait until you are 54 like me. A swear the more I train the less flexible I am.

Maybe I need something HOT too. It might even be yoga...

The Running Girl said...

I do yoga on a regular basis, but have never done HOT yoga. I think the atmosphere will depend on the teacher and the rest of the students. We laugh all the time in my yoga class. Hope you enjoy.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Five pounds, really, thats it, light weight!!!

I am sick of poultry too, I swear I just bought a whole cow on Sunday

Molly said...

I kinda liked hot yoga but the first few times I totally had to not look at my friend or I'd crack up. During the heavy training season I stuck with gentle stretchy yoga since I didn't need yet another workout during IM trainng. Have fun!

Alisa said...

Winter time is the best time to get into hot yoga. I did it for about 4-6 months last year. I really liked it but then they got new instructors and I was less and less excited about going. One thing I will warn you about is the SMELL. It is gonna be DANK and nasty!

Jo Lynn said...

Just separate you and your friend. Remember in grade school when you had to do that with your best friend? Yup! Different sides of the room. Enjoy!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love me some Yoga. Never tried Hot Yoga.

Kat said...

I'm not sure where I found your blog, but I love it and I think it's hysterical that I wrote a very similar post last night, but instead of hot yoga my off-season I-swear-it-sounded-like-a-good-idea training is Crossfit. Went to my first session yesterday and I felt like a total idiot but it really wasn't that bad.

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Can't wait to hear how Hot Yoga is. I would imagine it could be quiet a smelly adventure. Hopefully there won't be big garlic eaters in your class. ;P

Wes said...

I suppose feeling crappy and farting go hand in hand :-)

San said...

haha, I can totally relate to this feeling. This was the same when I got my training schedule for my first marathon last Thursday. It was a whole lot "What-have-I-gotten-myself-into".

Lucky you that your friend goes with you. It's much more fun this way.

I've tried yoga once, didn't like it that much. Maybe I should give it another chance. Can't wait for your post about it.

cheers

Carolina John said...

you're going to love hot yoga. it gets even hotter when you fart.

Bets said...

I cannot wait to hear about it!! Did you buy a package, how many times will you go. If it would make me lose 5 pounds, I would be there tomorrow. I way more than I have ever weighed in my whole life, by the way.

Anne said...

I just did hot yoga for the 1st time in years and it rocked! For the last 2 years I have done NOTHING but swim, bike or run and it was awesome to do something different! Have fun and remember not to drink until 25 minutes into the class ...

Diana said...

I know of some folks who do Bikram Yoga. That is very hot, is this the same as what you're doing?
I hear it's hard, but worth it. Hey, if everything was easy, we'd all be doing it...right??!!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i so wish i could be in the yoga studio lol! I went a few times, and loved it, but like you, swimming, cycling and running take up enough time already! you nailed the feeling showing up for masters the first time... it's so recent for me!! Enjoy, looking forward to hearing how it went!

Aka Alice said...

I have no doubt good stories about hot sweaty farts are in the future. Have fun!

healthy ashley said...

Good for you for breaking out of the routine and getting some yoga in there! I love incorporating yoga into my schedule :)

joyRuN said...

I like yoga, but not sure how I'd feel about HOT yoga. I sweat like a pig as it is, & if you make me any hotter, I won't be able to keep a grip on the mat!

Sooo... any fun farts released?

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!