Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Did You Miss ME??? Lifethings kinda post...

Suffice it to say, I was not 'away' by choice. Once again, after taking Hot Yoga, I got sick. As you may recall, Hot Yoga was a success...until I got sick a day later with an upper respiratory infection some weeks ago. THEN, I decided to go back...even after a Nurse friend of mine said - "that's got to be like some kind of germ pool in there. Do you know what kind of bacteria can grow at 108 degrees?" I did not heed this warning and went back. A few days later, out for the count. On my back, on my sofa, coughing what appeared to be pieces of my lungs. I'm bummed because I was really liking the Hot Yoga, nothing like getting a serious sweat on. Apparently, me and my asthma can not take that kind of heat and humidity. They said they would call if it was pneumonia. There was a 'very little something' on the Xray. They haven't called, guess I should call them. Oh, yeah, I was at the walk-in clinic on a Sunday. What kind of decrepit people wait until Sunday morning to go to the doctor? ME, of course. There were snotty kids, broken fingers and some guy who was suffering from some stomach ailment for over 10 days. Really, jerk off, you wait until Sunday morning and you've been nauseous for 10 days? Unbelievable. Once again, I have seen every terrible show on television. I know what every Housewife in every county is doing thanks to Bravo and have learned a ton about the prison system in Georgia thanks to NatGeo channel.

Magnus and Me - living it up on the sofa. Yep, we just laid there for days on end. Him with his eye, me with my...snot and a cough that could choke ya. We DID make it through Christmas in one piece and then just hit rock bottom after that.

So my four week (post B2B) hiatus has turned into almost an eight week hiatus with very little swimming, running and ONE bike ride in between. My legs are feeling twitchy from atrophy and I don't sleep worth a crap. Guess that means it's time to start training. In fact, coach gave me plan for Triple T today, um, yeah, it was nice knowing all y'all but I'm going to be very busy VERY soon. I know I saw some peak weeks with 4 runs, 4 rides, 3 swims, 2 strength. WTF? There's talk of Dave Scott bricks and the Tabata Protocol and I haven't seen the road in days, weeks, even. Oh well, it all comes back, right? Bless it, the sickest winter that I can remember.

Happy New Year - 2010 is going to be great. I can feel it.

24 comments:

MCM Mama said...

That sucks! Hope you feel better soon and can start knocking out some quality workouts.

Keith said...

Hope you're feeling better, and that if you go to hot yoga again, you wear a mask. Or a space suit, maybe that would work better.

Tabata = puking. That's all I know about it.

Wes said...

Keep that shiz to yourself... I'm feelin pretty good gettin back at it. You will too :-) Hope you feel better!

Velma said...

Wow! The Tabatha workouts looks intense. Rest up so you can rock 2010! Happy New Year!

kristen said...

That blows. I'm sorry you got sick again. I think the yoga studio probably is a cespool of diseases. I always think that when I step in a get the wafting smell feet and sweat. Gross!

At least your getting all this out of your system before the intensity begins. Get better soon!

RockstarTri said...

Being sick sucks. Never heard of Tabata Protocol - sounds intense but then again so is TTT. Get better.

Jody said...

hot damn i am in the same boat! finally went to the dr today and they put me on some inhalers. ran tonight and turns out sand intervals and not having lungs to support me are not a good mix. stupid germs

Diana said...

First.....I LOVE the tabata workouts! I use them a lot with my kettlebells...."double" the self torture for sure! They are truly intense IF you really do them correctly and NOT cheat!
Second.....Honey, you should see the SHIT that comes through your average ER/trauma room! If you think that walk in clinic scared you, pffttt...you ain't seen nothing!
Keep your ass out of the hot yoga class! NOT good for asthma-trust me!
Happy New Year!

San said...

Well, I was wondering where you've been. Sorry to hear you were down on your back again.

You might wanna check your vitamin D level. Could be that it's way too low and that means your body is weakened.
And again, you need protein.

Pepperidge for the soul, steak for the body. ;-)

Have a good start in 2010 and your new training plan. Cheers.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hope you feel better soon.

Ummm, ya tabata is flat out just not fun, good luck.

Dave said...

your right where you want to be except for that sick part....ready to get back to training...remember these days when your 4 weeks out from the race and when I have to remind you.."remember when you couldn't sleep and you were ready to do all this over again." ;-)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

That's no way to spend the off season!!
Yep, 2010 around the corner and we start the process again. Sleep, train, work, train, sleep, train, work, train....
But we wouldn't have it any other way, because then we wouldn't have anything to bitch about in our blogs.
Funny, I can actually visualize crap growing in your lungs from that class. Maybe you should head down to Vanderbilt and they can study a virus production unit at work.
Hope you feel great in the next day or so to ring in the New Year right!!

Shannon said...

Man......colds pull air........I'm sorry girl....2010 IS gonna be better~just think your building up immunities for the next winter. ;)

Amanda said...

seriously! at least you're sick in the off season. And you're getting some mandatory rest.

TTT training is underway. how sick is that? I think Dave Scott bricks look like fun. Can't wait to trade war stories over the next few months!

Bill said...

I agree about the hot yoga. I'm no germaphobe, but that sounds like a hot house germ incubator that an asthmatic should avoid.

As they used to sing at J. Peterman, "Get well, get well, we hope you get well soon." Uh, I heard there would be cake?

Kim said...

ugh, hope youre feeling better! i would be dreading those tabata workouts - sick, just plain sick.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great excuse to not try hot yoga...thanks!
Hope you feel better!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Stick to regular Yoga! 2010 will rock! We all will be back on our training plans soon! I hope you and Magnus are doing better - puppy time on the couch isn't all bad.

Jon Gilchrist said...

get better soon!!!

That peak week description sounds nuts....plain and simple..lol. But..YOU an an Ironman...it'll be a piece of cake for you!!

Mike Russell said...

Stay away from the Hot Yoga then. Get better so you can start training again. Hope January is more healthy than the last eight weeks!

Vickie said...

I'm there with you. Out almost a week. I think for me it was starting back too soon, doing hard, hard spin workouts 3 x a week, and of course a spin instructor who had a sore throat her last day of teaching. Thanks for that present! A few more days and it will be time to start over though. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Alisa said...

Yuck! So sorry you've caught a bug TWICE! I'm at home too with a nasty sore throat. UGH!

Holy cow 4 runs, 4 rides! That's enough for me right there. Let alone the strength training and swimming. Whoa! Feel better.

skierz said...

that sucks! you have to find a place that isnt a germ pool! you will find it so good once you discover it is not a place to go and get sick! Hope you are feeling better for tomorrow and some kind of celebration before the insanity begins! Happy New years! (thanks for the wise advice since I started this goofy internet talk thingy!)

Jo Lynn said...

I was wondering where you were! I don't like that you were sick. You and Magnus get better soon, okay? I miss you Missy! ;)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!