Sunday, November 22, 2009

Triple T and Me


I am officially official, I have paid up and signed up for Triple T. This will have to suffice as my big endurance race for the year. As many of you know, I was planning to do the 24 Tri out in Colorado in September. It is proving to be a little cost prohibitive at this point. I really would need another few folks to split an RV with (I'm NOT looking for volunteers either) AND it happens to be the same weekend as Age Group Nationals...where all my peoples will (hope) be. SO, the American Triple T will have to take it's place. If you haven't checked it out, here's the format:

Race #1: Prologue

Friday, May 21st, 2010 at 5:00 P.M.

SWIM: The 250 meter swim is a counter clockwise loop course in Turkey Creek Lake with participants starting in a time trial start every 3-5 seconds. Swim start is a dry land running start. Wetsuits allowed.

BIKE: The 5 mile bike course is a challenging loop course to the top of the resort and back. Bring your climbing gears.

RUN: The 1 mile run course is an out and back course on Lamp Black Run trail.

RACE RULES: All individual times count towards the team time. Any individual (solo and team) finishing in the top five overall will receive a 30 second bonus time. NOTE: Drafting is not allowed.

Race #2: Individual Time Trial

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 7:30 A.M.

SWIM: The 1500 meter swim is a counter clockwise loop course in Turkey Creek Lake with participants starting in a time trial start every 3-5 seconds. Swim start is a dry land running start. Wetsuits allowed.

BIKE: The 24.8 mile bike course is a challenging loop course on park fire roads within the park and state routes outside the park. Bring your climbing gears.

RUN:The 6.55 mile run course is an out and back course on Lamp Black Run trail.

RACE RULES: All individual times count towards the team time. Any individual (solo and team) finishing in the top five overall will receive a 30 second bonus time. NOTE: Drafting is not allowed.

Race #3: Team Triathlon

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 3:00 P.M.

BIKE: The 24.8 mile bike course is a challenging out and back course on the infamous route 125. Bring your climbing gears or pay!

SWIM: The 1500 meter swim is a counter clockwise loop course in Turkey Creek Lake with participants starting after the completion of the bike. Swim start is a running start from the transition area. Wetsuits allowed.

RUN: The 6.55 mile run course is an and back course on park fire on Lamp Black Run trail. This is a tough course. Same as morning run course.

RACE RULES: All teams must start and finish together. This unique triathlon format starts on the bike in a time trial start going every 10 seconds followed by a 1500 meter swim, then finishes with a 6.2 mile run. Drafting is allowed ONLY among each team. NO drafting among SOLO's. Start order for teams is determined by the highest ranking team member.

Race #4: Team Time Trial

Sunday, May 23rd, 2010 at 7:00 A.M.

SWIM: The 1.2 mile swim is a counter clockwise 2 lap course in Turkey Creek Lake. Swim start is a dry land running start. Wetsuits allowed.

BIKE: The 55.5 mile 2 lap bike course is a VERY challenging loop course on paved fire roads within the park. Bring your climbing gears. This course is awesome - you won’t forget it!

RUN: The 13.1 mile run course is a double out and back course on Lamp Black Run trail. This is same course you’ve run on all weekend. You love it or hate it by now!

RACE RULES: All teams must start and finish together.

What the hell was I thinking? I am signed up as a team. My team mate is the perfect pacer. She thinks like I do about something like this - What pace can I hold all weekend long? How can I not shoot my wad on the super sprint Friday nite and just plug and chug all weekend? I imagine this will be an experience in perseverance like I've never had before. AND I can't even wrap my brain around how shitty I'm going to feel on Saturday nite knowing there is a half ironman the next day. Can you even imagine the bitching and cussing that is going to be going on?! I hope they don't disqualify us for language infractions. I suppose now would be a good time to learn how to ride a hill, don't you think? At least ride a hill well. I also heard something about doing two bricks in a day, an a.m. and p.m. brick. Boy, sounds like a blast.

Well, there will be tons of hilarity on this training ride, I can guarantee that. As far as what else 2010 will bring, I just don't know yet. I may have to get through this one first and then just play it by ear. Anyone know how I can pack on ~10lbs of lean mass by May so I can qualify as an Athena? Yeah, it's probably a dumb idea but I DO love to eat...but hate to lift a weight.

23 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

WOW, what an awesome (but way more hardcore than i can ever imagine myself even considering) event! Doing it as a team will interesting as well :) Looking forward to following your journey there! Congrats on making it officially official.

kristen said...

Just when I though you couldn't get any crazier. You are one crazy bitch! I love it.

MCM Mama said...

I think I need a nap just from reading the description! That's some kind of crazy weekend!

Can't wait to live vicariously through you.

Shazza said...

That sounds completely NUTS but also kind of fun. How the heck do you train for something like that?? Cool!

Velma said...

Way cool! It is kinda like the Goofy challenge x10. You would be ready for the Ultraman competition after this one.

SC's Adventures said...

Wow, I'm impressed! You wont need to do any more races, you've got at least 6 months worth in one weekend!

skierz said...

love your style Missy! Go big or go home! Have a blast and it will be what it will be!@

Keith said...

That is an awful lot of rules. My eyes kind of glazed over. I'm sure your team will trample and conquer.

Maybe you'll get extra points for all the cussing.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

That's why I stick to races that require no coming back for seconds the next day... it really puts a kink in the old drinking plans...

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Your nuts!!! Some year I plan on joining that club, its on my buckets list. Thats in my neck of the woods, hills, more hills, and when your sick of hills, do some more. Only piece of advice I have.

Judi said...

dude, i can q as athena. i usually weigh in close to 150. just lift weights and you could too, lol.

you and amanda are both doing ttt. yea, good luck w/ that. i don't even want to think about it.

are you going to volunteer at imky this year?

Tilghman Carroll said...

Hellz yeah! We are going to rock this bitch! It's going to be a fun, interesting and painful 6 months!

Amanda said...

YAY!!! we can compare training war stories. and seriously, if you get an opportunity to go out before hand, do it. or maybe not. the hills are treacherous. legs will be trashed by day 2

Aka Alice said...

OMG Missy. That. is. Insane!

And you are just the one to do it.

Can't wait for the cursing to begin!

Alisa said...

Holy cow! That sounds like one freakin' hardcore weekend.

You're crazy sista...love it!

Carly said...

That is pure insanity!!! I have come to expect nothing less from you. I can't wait to read about the training.

Tri Mommy said...

You'd be surprised... those Athena ladies can be faster than you think.

joyRuN said...

Good grief - that's an INSANE weekend! You'd be badass enough to curse throughout the whole thing. I'd be weeping & whimpering in the corner somewhere, probably by Saturday at 11am.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I thought the 24 hours of Tri was nuts!

KK said...

Whoa, you are totally hard core. That race sounds CRAZY. But sorta fun-I can see the appeal. LOL about the language infractions. Just get drink and that'll take the edge off a bit. :) Good luck! P.S. You could always sign up for IMAZ in a couple of hours...Round out the year a bit...

Julie said...

That is flipping NUTS!!!! Hahahahaha!! Good luck with that. LMAO!!!!!

Runner Leana said...

You know, I think that sounds like a pretty great alternative to a 24 hour tri. Holy hannah, I cannot wait to read your race reports! Sounds like you better practice your hill repeats!!

Wes said...

A friend of mine does this one... I've always considered it crazier than Ironman. Nice :-)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!