Monday, November 2, 2009

List and lists and more lists

Race week is upon us! For all the times I've said - I'm READY! - Now is the time to put up or shut up. All that is left is some splash and dash, some spinning, some bike cleaning, a little 'jog' - don't you just LOVE it when people ask you about your jogging. What defines jogging vs. running? But I digress... Laying out clothes, laying out gear, obsessing about every ache and pain, perceived sore throat, the weather and the jimmy leg. While it's too far out to really trust the forecast, I'm seeing highs in the high 60's/low 70's and lows in the low 40's. That will be one cold morning. Mostly sunny, you say, mmm, sunscreen, can't forget that either. Water temps seem to be 69ish or so. OK, totally doable with my sleeveless wetsuit. This might turn out to be the perfect day I ordered up months ago.

The jimmy leg - ever just lay there and your leg involuntarily kicks out? That's what I tell hubs, at least. Your legs feel all creepy crawly, like you're going to jump out of your skin. Yep, it's taper madness time and the legs are getting the physical affects of it! Mentally, I'm ready and will love every minute of this taper. There's no second guessing now. It's a little late for that.

Goals, PRs and such. My best at the halfim distance to date is 5:39. That was Muncie Endurathon in 2008 during the perfect storm. Seriously, pulled people out of the water when the lightening started. It was nuts but I had a good race and made it out of the water without being one of the boat people that was pulled in. So there in lies my goal for Beach2Battleship, sub-5:30. This is realistic and within reach. I also have another goal, a stretch goal, a "I'll be so emeffen happy" goal, but I'm going to keep that one to myself and not jinx it! It's the - if everything goes my way, the stars are aligned, the winds are low, the temperature is right, my nutrition is spot on and I have no mechanical issues - goal. This is the one I am focusing on, this is the one I REALLY want. But, as we always say, let's see what the day brings, plan for it, aim for it but sometimes you have to take what you are handed. As long as someone doesn't hand me my ass...

Let the taper week freakouts commence! Oh, one year ago today it was Ironman Florida and all things Iron. I think about a year ago, I was up, eating my waffles, drinking coffee trying not to think about what a long day I had ahead of me. You know what, it was worth every minute of training. It was a great day.

23 comments:

Velma said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!

HEATHER @ runfastermommy! said...

We have an entire one credit class at school called "jogging". I refuse to take it until they change the name, LOL!

GOOD LUCK!! I will be there too, volunteering at the swim finish and then running the marathon leg of the relay!!

Diana said...

Best of luck on the last big race of the season! Give it your all and then go take a kettlebell class!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Your gonna rock your reward!!!!!!

Julie said...

Good luck!! You've earned every last drop of fitness -- now go and errr, spray it all over that course!! LOL!!!! :) :) :):)

Dave said...

Don't over think this thing....Get to the start and just go. Trust your training because you are so freaking ready!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good luck chasing the sub-5:30!

kristen said...

Good luck girl!! I'll be rooting for that stars lined up goal!!!

FLATOUT JIM said...

Relax Chica. Taper week is all about rest, and food.

5:30 for you, In the bag.

Keep us posted.

Molly said...

I was buying a running vest at my yoga studio a few weeks back. The woman said, "Oh, you jog?" I just said, "A little." *snerk*

You ARE so ready!!! I'm so excited for you!!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Another day in the park..... Make some 12:45pm lunch reservations for a little more motivation...

Bill said...

Best of luck. I look forward to the post race report. Knock 'em dead kid.

NJ said...

Got to your blog through Tri-Diesel's. I think I found another new favorite to add to my reading list! Love your "voice."

Al's CL Reviews said...

You are going to do great!

Carolina John said...

bring on the taper! only a few more workouts to go. see you soon!

untpawgal02 said...

Enjoy the taper and just relax... you will do awesomely well next weekend!

ShirleyPerly said...

You're OK swimming in a sleeveless wetsuit? Hmm, maybe I ought to bring both mine then and decide there. Not sure how much the water temp will drop between now and then.

Good luck and see you there at the race!!

MCM Mama said...

Enjoy your week and good luck at the race!!!

Judi said...

YAY! I am doing Muncie this summer - join me! And YES the JIMMY LEGS (it was on seinfeld too) I have it really bad. it happens at night and keeps my boyf awake.

Chloe said...

Wish you where down here :) But good look on B2B - you are going to totally kick some ass. Try not to go postal taper week!

Jo Lynn said...

I hope you are better at tapering than I am because I really suck at it! ;)

Jon Gilchrist said...

good luck and do GOOD!!!

aron said...

woo hoo race week!!!! have a great one :)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!