Monday, November 16, 2009

Football Follies


She was an unknown person. Our section is filled with season ticket holders, we know everyone around us. We didn't know them. Her fingers were the size and shape of sausage links and she couldn't fit into the seat without pouring over the edges. She seemed to be able to get up and down about ten times to get fries, cokes, nachos and other assorted football 'treats' .... but she couldn't seem to stand up to honor the disabled veterans group that was there in honor of Veterans Day (I think all NFL games had various programs to honor Veterans yesterday). I wanted to flick her in the back of her fat head and tell her stand her ass up and clap. Nope, too deep into nachos and fries, I guess. Yep, I'm still livid that she and her equally large husband couldn't seem to stand up either. Hell, he couldn't even get up to get his own nachos, she had to get them for him. THEN, another morbidly obese woman 'falls out' at the game and they have to call medical. I am 90% sure it took the entire medical staff to get her onto a make shift board, gurney, wheel chair looking thing. Problem - she didn't fit on it, back fat was pouring out the back of it as six men tried to haul her up the steps to get her medical care. Yep, the whole thing, all of it, a total embarrassment. I guess it's not a world that I live in. In fact, I only wanted to eat salmon and spinach after watching both of them and their football follies on Sunday. I was so disturbed and equally disgusted. I really did want to smack her on the back of her head - c'mon lady, injured Vets and you're too into your nachos to stand up? I found it revolting on so many levels. Yeah, I struggle with - if I lose 5-10lbs it'll make me faster - syndrome. Problem is, I like to eat and drink the beer that goes with it so I live with my 5lbs. For the love of Pete people, have some self respect.

In workout news...

Yep, haven't done a thing since Beach2Battleship. Today is the day we get back on the wagon. You have NO idea how easily I could be a couch potato. Football or any good marathon on Bravo - I'm in for the duration! It's time to get moving. I don't want to end up like the nacho queen.

24 comments:

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

While I have gained and lost my fair share over the years and understand how 10lbs can sneak up on you if you aren't paying attention...I don't understand how you can get like that..I guess it is just that you don't care. It is horrible that they didn't stand up for the Vets.
Good that you had a good rest after B2B...now back to work! :)

Jo Lynn said...

I eat that shit when I go to games too. BUT, I ALWAYS plan for it and run like a mad woman prior to or after the indulging. ;)

Southbay Girl said...

I would have smacked her too! How rude!! Our vets have enabled you to sit on your fat ass and eat your nachos so get up biatch!!

Jason Andrew Mellet said...

dont smack her, she might come sit on you.

Dave said...

boy...I would have smacked her...do I really need to pontificate on this...

Al's CL Reviews said...

And if she ever has any type of surgery, there has to be a nurse in there whose only job is to hold the fat back while others perform.

I'd be mad too.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I would have "accidently" lost control of my beer or something. Those veterans are the reason she can sit there, free and safe, to get her stupid nachos.

MCM Mama said...

I have issues with disrespectful people, no matter what their size is.

Carolina John said...

i have also developed a lower tolerance for people that make bad choices now. just like i did this weekend in charlotte. now it really is time to get back on the bandwagon.

I went for a swim today, time to get back out there!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow, definitely ignorant. nothing wrong with enjoying life, but i agree with you on the self-respect thing. just... wow.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Agree with MCM Mama - disrespectful people suck. Yeah - last weekend was the NFL's tribute to vets. My hubby's squadron was asked to do a flyover of the Charger's Stadium in SD... fun stuff!

Didn't think it was possible - but you just put me off my oatmeal + greek yogurt + grapefruit. Seriously.

Judi said...

i am right there with you regarding the feeling of wanting to slap her in the head and say WAKE THE FUCK UP! dominic's SIL died from obesity 2 years ago. she was 37 and the dr's said she had the heart of a 90 year old. she left 3 teenaged kids w/o a mom.

kristen said...

Unbelievable. It's so fucking gross (the obesity but ESPECIALLY not even having the decency to 'suffer' through 5 minutes of standing to honor a veteran). It makes me ill when I see an obese person pulling out of a fast food restaurant and is already unwrapping the paper before they get out of the drive way. Seriously?!

Amy said...

Nacho Queen - love it. I could easily sit on the couch watching Bravo all day long too. But I don't want to end up like her either.

joyRuN said...

Well with that, I'm ready to nosh on salads for the rest of the month. Yuck.

Diana said...

I love the song Dancing Queen from ABBA, but now somehow I have a kind of "tainted" version of it in my head! My hubby and I are very patriotic, I cry whenever I hear taps! Should have flicked her nachos out of her hands, then again-you'd probably would have had your a$$ handed to ya! Don't take away the Queen's coke!
Congrats on the Titans making a roll....I'm thrilled for my Packers to have kicked Cowboys! ANY time the cowboys lose, it makes my day!

FLATOUT JIM said...

Salmon and spinach! MMMMM Please Please Please invite me to your next tailgate party!

Calyx Meredith said...

I think people who carry extra weight - especially that much extra are carrying a lot of pain. I have a lot of compassion for that (which is why I'm a weight loss coach!) But I have no compassion or tolerance for disrespect to our vets. Narcissism and politics aside - our service members put themselves on the line and deserve every honor.

And GO TITANS! CJ totally rocks! (And Bud Adams - giving the ancient Bills owner the double bird? Classy!)

Heidi Austin said...

hahha....i love your blog. i just spilled tea all over myself while i was reading this. soooo funny (and sad).....

This issue upsets me more than i can explain. It disgusts me....

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

They have given up on life so feel no sorrow, feel no pity, feel no anger (and this last one is critical) for they feel nothing also. If they have no feelings, don't waist (whoops, mispelled)your time.

My sympathy comes for those that do tri.

Jes said...

I can't imagine how awful my life would have to be to allow such a state to happen to me, so I try to have some compassion. I try, but it doesn't always happen. And, they provide me with quite a bit of motivation to get out there and run, or cram a veggie down my pie hole, so I'm thankful for that because it is incredibly easy for me to be a lazy couch potato.

That said, I'm a fan of the fat tax. Suffering through a brain tumor with no insurance while I paid for lazy, obese people's unneccessary medical conditions that were a direct result of their poor choices really pissed me off.

I can't believe no one said anything about them not standing up. If it had been a thin person comments would have been flying. Fuck, I stand up in my own living room when the National Anthem comes on!

Alisa said...

I go back and forth between being totally grossed out by obese people and feeling sorry for them. I'm certainly never going to be a size 2 but I take care of myself and take pride in what I put into my body.

I agree with Jess, I'm in favor of taxing unhealthy foods. I think it might alleviate the issue of unhealthy foods generally being the cheapest items. I realize that some folks are not as fortunate as I am but I think it's ridiculous that often the cheapest options are the most unhealthy! Soap box rant END!

P.S. One thing I really appreciate about your blog is that you're not afraid to put it out there. You say your opinions proudly and don't make excuses, I really admire that!

Wes said...

I got nothing nice to say :-(

triguyjt said...

I would have had a mouth bleeding from biting my tongue..
On the B2B note, I saw in the Biggest Loser special the guy from Arkansas from a couple seasons ago, did the Race...in something like 12 hours and change...and I remember him being about 360 or so when he started. I guess a part of me wishes, hopes that the woman or her husband would get some success on the weight loss front...and then maybe..just maybe they would have more respect for themselves...AND that respect would translates to others.. especially the injured vets.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!