Thursday, October 15, 2009

Three Weeks, really?

I'm in that - I'm just ready for it to be here, phase. I'm done with training, I'm done with 4am, I'm just, well, done. My friends are on to off season/non-structured training and I'm just jealous. You know, ride if you feel like it, run if you wanna type stuff. I swear we wish our lives away with these races some times. You look so forward to something and then it's HERE and done and it's a new year already. I CAN say that I learned so much from ironman training last year that it's been helpful to avoid some of the pitfalls that an A type can get caught in, like...

It's on my schedule so I have to do it. It doesn't matter that I only got 5 hours of sleep because the dog was puking and I had to got to work. You know what, 5 hours isn't doing anyone any good. If you go into your workout spent, all you're going to get is garbage out. BUT I'm a sleeper, NEED my sleep.

My family wants to go out to dinner with me but I have to do a one hour trainer ride or something. A one hour 'anything' can me moved to another time. Family can NOT. Who else is going to carry all your shit to your races? Yep, the peeps that love you the most. Make the time - even if it means you have to double up one day.

Sick - skip it. Driving yourself into the ground does nothing for your fitness. To top it off, don't even try to make it up. Just skip it and pick it up when you can. This does not mean be a pu$$y but if you're truly sick, sleep and hot toddy!

Balance - I have actually been able to achieve some this year. I suppose it's the difference of 14 hours of training and 22, not to mention the extra sleep and recovery I needed at 22 hours a week. It's just nice, it's just nice to feel like I can see friends when I'm not swimming, cycling or running. Just to go out, have drinks and eat bad for you food, it's just great.

Training Front - Run, Swim, Bike yesterday - in that order. Didn't mean to, it just worked out that way. We've been having so much rain that you just need to ride when you get a moment of dry.

Randomness - The Biggest Loser - Tracey (or whatever her name is) is freakin CRAZY. I know they edit the show accordingly but c'mon, she's a NUT job and that team is stoooopid for not getting her out of there.

24 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like you are really balanced this time. You are so close! It'll be here before you know it.

Diana said...

Family is always the best for being the "sag" wagon! I'd be no where without them!
Hooray for balance!!

Carlee said...

Great point about family!!! and Tracey!

You're so close!!!!

Beth said...

So exciting that you're only 3 weeks away ... all this hard work is gonna pay off and you'll have a great race!

Biggest Loser? Best show on TV. And yes, Tracy is a total whack job. GO LIZ!!!!!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I agree, Tracy gotta go, she is palying the game like Big Brother, not like the biggest loser, AND how is heck is she losing all this weight and not working out?????? Nutrition can only take you so far but not that far in that short of time.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

BL: She signed her death warrant with the break up. Not sure why anyone would want to win that challenge. And why wouldn't you pick the 432 pound chick that hasn't lost squat up until now? She was do.

IM: We are anxiously awaiting the preditions for B2B. You know, I truly believe a reduced workout schedule doesn't make a lot of difference in finishing time (in my case, we'll test the theory)

Dave said...

You are 2 weeks behind me....know how you feel....oh...just to run for the enjoyment....

Julie said...

Family does rock -- good on you for keeping things in perspective. :)

Amanda said...

i can't wait for random trail runs and maybe a mountain bike ride or two...or to try out cyclocross...but after a month, you know we're dying for a new goal, and with it, structured training :)
you're almost there! good work

Keri said...

Tracey is a psycho! I yell at the TV when she talks. I love that no one clapped when she lost her weight. Take that one crazy eyes!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Hang in there! IT IS tough. I am still training for Clearwater and today in Chicago? 38F and pissing rain. I have a 4 hour ride...so yes, that type of stuff is rough....but, this all will be over soon and then we'll be bored, so I enjoy it as I can. STAY tough! :)

Wes said...

Keeping the family happy definitely has its plusses :-)

kristen said...

Graeat advice for any athlete. Family is tops for sure!

Crap, now you intriqued me to watch BL for some wackjob entertainment.

Jo Lynn said...

Good advice Missy. It only takes one time of over-training to realize these things.

I don't watch BL, I don't care for Jillian too much.

Bill said...

I hear you sista! I can't wait until AZIM is "come and gone, my oh my." I want to be on the other side of filling every free moment with training.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Interesting post, because I felt ready for my tri 3 weeks out, and really didn't train the last 2 weeks.

You are going to do great.

This rain is getting tiresome.

Keith said...

There's times when it's smart to skip a workout, or move it to another time, and you've hit on some real good reasons.

At this point before your race, I don't think the workouts are to get you any more fit, at least not by any measurable amount. All they do is keep you tuned up. I'm a big big fan of tapering and recovery. I'd rather go into a race with a relaxed happy body that is a bit "undertrained" than one that is "fully trained" but all beat up, tired, worn out and generally sick of this whole movement thing.

joyRuN said...

Balance is nice, & I think I've done better with it this go-round too. I guess we had to learn the hard way ;)

Carolina John said...

yes yes and yes. i'm tired of working training around the new job and moving. actually, having the wife and kids out of my hair some days is a good thing. but i'm ready to get the b2b done and be able to focus on moving. and family. and the biggest loser. tracy is nuts and should be gone as soon as possible.

Melissa said...

Sounds like you've learned a lot in the past year. I especially like what you say about sleep...I'm with you there!

Tracy has crazy eyes. For real.

Carly said...

Only three weeks away, holy crap that came fast! I liked your points, and the one about family is so true.

Judi said...

what race are you training for? since i am new to your blog, i don't know!

sleep is a must. and if it means skipping a 1 hour w/o, then so be it. just do what you need to do for you and your peeps too!

Trigirlorlando said...

Missy...from one Missy to another...this post really hit home. It was hard this year doing the things that you mentioned...but I did learn from last year's training that family should come first!!

Wishing you much success in 3 weeks!!

Velma said...

I am glad to find another Spartan. I went to MSU for grad school and graduated in 2003 (I graduated from UW in 1995). Your blog is great. I can't wait to hear about Beach to Battleship. You sound ready!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!