Thursday, October 22, 2009

It's a lifethings kind of day...

Rest in Peace Kasha. You're in a place where you have four good legs. Now you can really go chase that bunny! We miss you.



Dear Kasha,

I remember the day we picked you out of the litter. You chose us as much as we chose you. You were the feisty one we just had to have. You know, we were going to get a Doberman instead? I know, dumb idea. They're great too but YOU sold us on the Boxer. We had to have you with your little black nose, all that loose skin and puppy breath. I do love some puppy breath. I could not have asked for a better or more well mannered puppy. From our days in the apartment, to our move to a house, you were the best puppy. You NEVER cried and rarely had an accident in the house or crate...unlike your 'brother' but I digress. There were a few lost shoes, a book (that I never read the ending), a remote control and an ink pen on the new carpet but it was all a small price to pay. I'm sure I didn't think that at the time when there was a giant blue ink stain on the carpet. We spent hours training and even longer hours chasing a frisbee. Do you even remember that? I know it's been a really long time but you could not get enough. You and your boyfriends, the Jack Russell's that lived behind us, you wore out a frisbee path in the back yard.

I think you're more well traveled than most people I know. We took you EVERYWHERE. You were welcome most everywhere because you were so well mannered. We will 'forget' the teenage years where you were a royal b!@#$ and wanted to Alpha Dog every animal in sight. I blame it on the steroids. I know, that vet was a crack pot. Glad we got rid of him. Anyway, you were always a warrior, a road warrior with us or a warrior on the 'playing field.' One time, you had a cracked tooth, Dr. Woody just opened your mouth and grabbed some pliers to pull it. You didn't say a peep, nary a wince, cry or whimper. You are truly the toughest of the bunch. Magnus is such a tender-hearted wimp, bless him. He can't get a shot without crying in pain. I know, what a baby.

It is with the deepest pain in my heart that I have to say good bye. I just can't let you go on this way. This is not you, the warrior dog. While we all get old and aren't as agile as we used to be, this is too much to ask of you. You can't hardly stand on your own, you fall, spread eagle at least 10 times a day and you have to be carried down anything that resembles a step. This is not how you need to be. This is not YOU.

To my warrior princess who made me laugh, smile, and welcomed me home every day with your wiggly butt and nub, who tried to save swimmers that were 'drowning', and liked to eat corn on the cob, I guess it is time, it is your time. Thanks for all the memories, thanks for the unconditional love, thanks for keeping me company when I was sick and guarding the house loyally every single day. Thanks for kicking Magnus' butt, even in your old age and keeping him in line, you trained him well. I don't know what he's going to do, I really don't. I imagine he will hold vigil for a while. Ryan says he's taking him to work a bunch because he's afraid Magnus will freak out at home alone. See, he's never been alone, he's always had you. Heck, Ryan and I have always had you. Almost as long as we've been together, you've been there with us.

This just sucks, I don't want to say good-bye but I can't be selfish any longer either. I love you, Kasha Bear.

44 comments:

Blondie said...

oh honey.... my heart goes out to you guys

Shannon said...

I'm sorry......

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Im sorry

Diana said...

I'm not even a dog person and I'm sitting here balling like a big baby!

Beth said...

I know you will miss her. What a sweet girl. Hang in there :)

Chloe said...

Ok. You made my cry in my coffee. I'm so sorry for the loss.

Kim said...

aw sweetie, im so sorry. hugs.

Julie said...

Oh my God -- I cried all the way through this and am still crying now. Bless her little heart -- Oh man.

I lost my eldest dog in February of this year -- our hearts broke. The hardest part was rewriting my whole script of the day without "Diva." No more early morning wake up calls from stinky dog breath, no more hearing her "happy puppy" bark, no more letting her in and out of the house 50 times a day....

I have one other dog and two cats -- Diva's absence is still felt. I still cry on occasion -- God, DO NOT watch Marley and Me in the near future. Just for a heads up...

Things change, but my love for my first doggie will never disappear...

Mike surprised me this June with a video tribute to our Diva dog -- he had Christine Aguiliera's song "Beautiful" playing and we were both blubbering messes...

I really feel for you. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your doggie's life and it is obvious how much you love her. She knows it too. Bless you for having an enormous amount of courage and love to make a painful and difficult decision...

I really feel for you...Your whole life is about to change and I think that your guy bringing your other doggie to work is a good idea. :) It shows you guys are keeping the love flowing, you know? :)

Losing Diva brought Mike and I closer together -- the shared loss changed both of us in a lot of ways. I am a lot more patient now with everyone, and (I like to think) more tolerant and loving as well.

Your baby dog gave you so many gifts of laughter and love. Take care of yourselves (and each other) and take things one second at a time, one minute at a time.

Things do get better, just know there are a TON of animal lovers out here who know exactly what you are going through and support you! :) :)

Runner Leana said...

Oh Missy, I am so sorry. I'm sitting her bawling at my desk at work like a baby. Kasha was a wonderful dog. You guys were so lucky to have each other. I'm going to miss grandma too. It is never an easy decision with dogs. I've cried more for my lost dogs than I did for people. I still miss them. Hugs to you, Ryan and Magnus.

Ironbolus said...

So sorry for your loss, she was beautiful and your story reminds me of my own Boxer; warm thoughts and boxer love.

RockstarTri said...

I'm sorry. Wish I could say more...

Molly said...

I'm so sorry. I'm reading this in class and tearing up. What a great letter and pictures- it's great that you can share how much you love her

Bill said...

You've made me laugh many times; now, you've made me cry. I always think about a Joseph Campbell quot that those we've lost remain alive to us as long as we keep them in our memories. Sorry for your loss.

Deb said...

I am so sorry Missy...that put tears in my eyes and makes me want to go home and snuggle with Logan...

Tri Mommy said...

I am so sorry. Your post had me in tears. I think both you and Kasha were blessed to have each other. My heart goes out to you.

JP said...

Missy, I'm sorry for your and Ryan's loss of a family member. We will all miss her.

Molly said...

*sob* What a wonderful tribute to a loyal companion. I'm sitting here totally crying right now and so sad for you both. I think the two of you were lucky to have found each other and shared such a special lifetime. It just isn't fair that their lives are so short. (((Hugs)))

ShirleyPerly said...

So sorry to hear the time had come :-(

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

A lovely tribute. It is hard to let them go.

Jon Gilchrist said...

I'm sorry about your Loss....wow...I cried....I'm sorry, I truly am.

Keith said...

My heart felt condolences. You've done the final favour for a loved friend. Carry her in your mind, and she'll always be there for you. It's been almost 12 years and I think of my big Sebastian cat almost every day.

Kendra said...

:(

Southbay Girl said...

Missy,

I am so very sorry! You did one of the hardest things you can do-you decided it was time to let Kasha run free. Animals are our furry children! They come into our hearts and give us unconditional love and support no matter what! They are always there for us! This time you were there for her! She gave you and Ryan everything she could!

You weren't selfish! I have done the same thing! You wish they could live forever! and you want them to be around for as long as they can. I always asked myself-will I know when it's time...yes, unfortunately you do know when it's time and it hurts SO MUCH! You don't want to lose them! They are a part of you!

Kasha will ALWAYS be a part of you! You will never forget her!

I lost my first dog when I was pregnant many years ago-I thought I'd never get over her-but I did. But I have the most amazing memories of her, my Whiskey! I lost my cat last November to renal failure and decided to make a book with some of my favorite pictures of him! I did and it really helped me heal! And now I have an amazing book of memories of Winton. I will do this now for all of my animals!

I am so sorry! There are no words I can say that will make your pain go away or make you feel better! But we are here for you and we understand! Losing your best friend, your furry companion is horrible and it sucks!

Rest in peace Kasha! Run free and chase those bunnies!

joyRuN said...

I'm so very sorry, Missy. You've got me crying over here, but I can't even imagine what you're going through right now. You guys were blessed to have each other.

SC's Adventures said...

My thoughts are with. Sx

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I'm usually not at a loss for words...but today..............sorry is all that comes to mind.

MCM Mama said...

I'm so sorry, Missy! My heart is breaking for you.

Judi said...

oh missy, girl, i am so so sorry.

BIG HUGS - judi

Tyger Lily said...

So sorry Missy!

Sounds like she was such a "good girl"!

Holly Jane said...

I am so touched..... You are a very strong person Missy.

Melissa said...

Hi Missy. I'm so sorry to read about your loss. Kasha sounds like a great dogie, companion, and furry sister. I loved what you said about her stump wagging :-)

Tears are streaming down my face, I'll be thinking of you guys. Peace is here for Kasha and she's off running around chasing frisbies with some hot boy dogs somewhere in paradise :-)

Aka Alice said...

Oh Missy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I do love your post though. I'm pretty sure we are all looking at our babies and fur-babies and giving them extra hugs and treats today because you've reminded us to love 'em just a little bit harder while they're here. Just like you did with your Kasha.

((hugs))

MJ said...

Holy crap... I cried. That was beautiful. Sorry to hear this.

Sherry said...

Oh my... I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot even express; but believe me when I say that I felt every 'letter' of pain in your note. My fur-babies are my children; I could not love human children any more than I love my fur-kids... and you are obviously the same. Big hugs to you! May you find comfort in your precious memories with your baby girl.

Carly said...

OMG Missy, I am so sorry. I just read the title and burst into tears. I couldn't even read the post.

I am so sorry for your loss. We went through this last December and it was HORRIBLE.

I will miss all the "Grandma" stories.

Wes said...

That... is some real class.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

It is with the deepest pain in my heart that I have to say good bye. I just can't let you go on this way. This is not you, the warrior dog. While we all get old and aren't as agile as we used to be, this is too much to ask of you. You can't hardly stand on your own, you fall, spread eagle at least 10 times a day and you have to be carried down anything that resembles a step. This is not how you need to be. This is not YOU.

This brought real tears to my eyes, sister, because this is EXACTLY how it was with our Sushi when we had to make this decision a few years ago.

I'm not ashamed to say I cried like a baby after Sushi was gone.

My heart and thoughts go out to you, sister.

We dog people do so love our babies ...

Shevaun said...

We are on our third boxer. It is never easy to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you.

Charisa said...

Ohhh so sad! :( Hope your heart heals, glad you have good memories!

Alisa said...

Oh man...I'm really behind on posts and this was heartbreaking to read first.

She had a great life! so sorry for your loss.

Amber Dawn said...

I started to read this earlier this week and had to stop. I had to wait until tonight, after a couple glasses of wine, to finish.
Sorry doesn't cut it, but my heart hurts for you and your hubby. You gave that mutt a beautiful and full life and she will always be in your hearts.
The hardest I have ever laughed while reading blogs came from a Gramma post. The one where she was going up the stairs farting away and looking at you like "what?". It still cracks me up, even as I have tears rolling down my face.
Take care, sending you lots of love and sincere doggy mama sympathy.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Oh - I am so sorry. You have me in tears... I am just so sorry for your loss. Man - it sounds like you guys had some great times. Wow! What a life, what an incredible, wonderful life! I'm thinking of you all...

kristen said...

Very touching post. There are no words. I'm sorry Missy.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Oh Missy, I'm so sorry.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!