Monday, October 5, 2009

Chapter 1

I wasn't familiar with this stretch of road. It is fabled in these parts. It's one of those hills that all you have to do is say the name and people go, oohhh, yeah, Pulltight, and then they look at you like you're retarded when you tell them you have to ride up it. Three times. This was my fate on Sunday, hill repeats on the bike. It wouldn't be so bad if my Saturday ride wasn't so windy that I felt like I had already climbed it three times - my hammys and glutes were already screaming. I sat in front of the computer on Sunday morning, drinking coffee until hubs pulls up the radar, uh, green, yep, green. You better get going, he says, fine, fine, I'll go, to a place I've never been.

I throw my shiz together. It's funny how it used to take forever to 'get ready' to go for a ride. It's just second nature now. You know exactly what you need and can be gone in 15 minutes. Map in hand, I leave the house, I look down, no Garmin. Oh well, I don't really need to know what the grade of this hill is or that my heart rate is sky high. Do I? I arrive at the 'store' and park in front of the portocan, thank gawd. I had to pee, always do, it seems. And then, the rain comes, it's cold and I start whining. Ever want to tell YOURSELF to shut the hell up? That was me. I was like a little kid - but ma, I don't wannnnnaaaaa. It rains harder. This isn't going to get done on its own. I venture off in the direction of Pulltight. (This picture was taken on a much clearer day by some generous person on the interwebs.)

This particular area of country is funny - total lack of zoning laws. Trailer with chickens and possibly a meth lab inside just down the street from a million dollar farm. I don't think there's trash service or city water out here, but I digress. I try to warm up but can't, it's just cold. I'm already in my small chain ring and I KNOW I haven't started climbing yet, I'm just trying to get to the HILL part. Some guinea hens block my path, a steer gives me a snort, I think a cow mooing is a car and moooove on over. The rain is hitting my glasses and my asses. I can feel the mud just building up on my pants and back like I crapped myself. It's always a good look. The dogs are barking and my head spins, thankfully, penned up. The trees clear and I see IT - I see a road that seems to be carved into the side of a mountain (I know, it's just a hill). I'm looking at it just thinking, I'm not going to make it, not going to make it three times. OK, self, once, if you do it once you can go home. Forward MARCH...

It was a march, a bit of a death march. It was all so symbolic of the week I had, shitty, crappy, is it rain or is it tears, I can't tell which. My glasses are fogging but I can clearly see 40, that's a cadence of 40. Do YOU know at what cadence one rolls backwards? That would be 39. I make it up this mountain goat of a road, not quite sure where to stop until I saw the drop. OK, back down the same side. You did it once, you can do it twice.

What is the fun of going up? Coming down, duh. When the ground is wet and it's still raining, wet brakes make for good times. The descent sucked since I couldn't just open it up. It was pretty much white knuckles and wet brakes. Turn around, back up, if you can do it once, you can do it twice. If you do it twice, you can go home. Fine, fine.

Part way up, I see the road cut into the 'mountain' and I get a lump in my throat and my heart starts to race. I can't do this today, I just can't do this today, I can feel myself start to cry. Stop it you weakling, do you WANT this? Do you WANT your PR? Are you going to throw all this work down the drain because of last week? If you do, you're a huge pussy! This fight went on in my head for, what felt like, hours. It was only a minute or two. The lump in my throat went back down into my guts and I climbed. Sweet, two down, turn and burn.

Back at the bottom I reminded myself that I said I could go home now. What's one more? Make it the three that coach told you to do in the first place and buy yourself a chicken biscuit and a coke at the store when you get back.

It's raining harder, my legs are fried, fried from Saturday, fried from the last two climbs. If it's even possible, I'm getting slower, I'm moving my upper body too much but I can't keep all the weight in my legs. Shit, shit, shit, push, pull, push, pull, circles, circles, circles. AH, I made it, #3 in the books. Now time to haul ass back to the car for my chicken biscuit.

I look at my ass in the window, yep, looks like I crapped myself. I run into the store, no chicken biscuits. I guess I just assumed every country store in TN had a chicken biscuit. It was not to be. To show my gratitude for letting me park there, I bought a coke and hit the road. A searing hot shower is in order...

30 comments:

Shannon said...

I know you'll hate me fo sho when I say this but what the hellzy...."I LOVE hill repeats!" I do them once every two weeks! Bam.....

You Rock btw~

Carlee said...

hey that's awesome that you just did it! sorry no biscuit

Keith said...

A store in TN with no chicken biscuts?? You've got to be kidding. How is this possible?

Pretty amazing ride. In the rain. Feeling sorry for yourself. At least when it's raining nobody knows you're crying.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Did you say you were training for St. Croix?? or Lanzorate?

Jes said...

Hey! My word verification spells 'vagina' in Korean!! Hahaha!

Nice job finishing all three repeats. I'm not sure what a chicken biscuit is, but I think you definitely deserved one.

And the line "The rain was hitting my glasses and my asses" totally cracked me up.

Hope this week is better than last week.

untpawgal02 said...

I need to come to your part of the country and get some good hill repeats in for next summer. When can I come?

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Way to tough through that workout, sorry about the biscuits

Diana said...

Done in the rain-I would have chose the couch for sure!
Nice job sticking it hill for 3 times.

Kim said...

way to hang strong friend! you are a trooper!

SC's Adventures said...

You amazing. Such an inspiration. Keep at it.

joyRuN said...

Well damn, Missy. Great job getting all three torture repeats up that CLIMB!

Bill said...

Holy smoke! That's one heck of a workout the day after a ride. We may need to change your moniker to "The Iron Lady."

Chloe said...

AWESOME workout! I wish we had climbs like that here....seriously. And what do you mean they did not have Chicken and a biscuit? Are you sure you where in TN?!?

Tri Mommy said...

You go girl!

Beth said...

I think I'd need more than a chicken biscuit to get me up that climb 3x. GOOD JOB and it will pay off soon!!!

Julie said...

What is a chicken biscuit?? It sounds like it is REALLY good.

Awesome hill work -- it's funny how those pity party trips sneak up on us, eh? And you did that hill 3 times despite all that crap!!

WAY TO EFFING GO!!!! LOL!!!! :) :) :)

Julie said...

What is a chicken biscuit?? It sounds like it is REALLY good.

Awesome hill work -- it's funny how those pity party trips sneak up on us, eh? And you did that hill 3 times despite all that crap!!

WAY TO EFFING GO!!!! LOL!!!! :) :) :)

Wes said...

I can feel the mud just building up on my pants and back like I crapped myself.

Sheeeeot! (pun intended) That's the nice part about riding in the rain, cause when you really DO shit yourself, nobody notices....

You know... I'd probably just cry but do the dayum hill repeats anyways, cause I'm a multitasker. Killing two birds with one stone so to speak :-) Although, if I promised myself a bizkit at the end, I might just hold off too :-)

Great ride chica!! We know you're a bad ass, but even bad asses gotz a soft side.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great ride.
Especially since you didn't want to do it.

Sorry about the chicken biscuit.

Molly said...

Sounds like one ass-kicking sort of day. Great job getting it done, no matter how much it hurt.

Bets said...

So glad you got in good workouts, even though such a yucky week. Was glad to see you yesterday too!!!
Workout wore me out. I hate to leave from the middle of the pool. I need that wall. Also, I am rockin two blisters, that are preventing my from wearing fins. Fins are my greatest love!!!!!!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You Da Man, sister!

Way to b*tch-slap that hill - THREE times!

Ever want to tell YOURSELF to shut the hell up?

Of course I have! I find me just as irritating as everyone else does!

Jo Lynn said...

Sounds like HELL to me. Great job Missy. ;)

ShirleyPerly said...

I HATE riding in the cold and rain. And then add to it going up and down a hill like that MF?? All I can say is you are one tough lady. Sorry they had no chicken biscuits!

Kevin said...

That is one sick hill. Great job pushing through it. It will definitely pay off come race day

MCM Mama said...

You are one tough chic! Great job. Sorry you didn't get the chicken biscuit.

I have to tell you, I had a coke after my 10 mile race this weekend. I love the stuff, but don't allow myself to drink it. I actually thought to myself "hey, Missy has one after her hard workouts. That makes it ok". Then I drank my coke and enjoyed every ounce of it. LOL

Ron said...

Thats your best post ever...I LOVE IT. GRIND IT BABY...grind it

Dave said...

Missy, I KNOW exactly what you were dealing with. Proud of you. You did it...no regrets, no rationalizing....mentally your one tough gal. Reminds me of the time I was doing an all night run...and I had to sit down on the trail and talk myself into finishing....oh it's so lonely...sometimes. Armstrong describes it as "the monk years."

kristen said...

Missy your one bad ass mama!! You gotta negotiate with yourself sometimes to get it done like that. Well done. I loathe hills - especially on a bike. I'd run up one anyday. That's going to set you apart come race day!

Runner Leana said...

Sounds like one tough hill climb. Way to gutt it out and get all three repeats done. I can imagine the disappointment of no chicken biscuits though.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!