Saturday, September 19, 2009

Recovery RULEZ to live by

Do NOT get up before 6:00am to workout - sleep in. Next week it's back to big volume, 4:00am will be here soon enough.

'Make-up' workouts can be scheduled at ANY time. If no one is meeting you at the pool, they won't know you weren't there, right?

Be flexible. If the fam wants to do something with you in lieu of your short run, put the short run off for another day. Maximize your time with them while you have it.

If you get rained out from your group ride, stay with your group (they need your support), just go get beer instead and food if necessary.

Clean the house, it may not get done for another three weeks or so. AT LEAST until your next recovery week.

Swallow your pride and use the week as recovery - you don't need to PROVE anything to the fat guys smoking in their cars as you run down the road. If you're supposed to be zone 2, stay zone 2.

Watch disgusting amounts of TV while you can, including a series marathon of ANY kind. My arse was meant for a sofa...stupid bike seat.

Good luck to anyone racing! I hope you're dry, I'm drowning in it over here.

Go Michigan State! Go Titans!

20 comments:

kristen said...

Nice rules - particularly the one about the family and swallowing your pride. I'm an attention whore. I like to go fast in front of other people. What's that about?

I'm glad your enjoying your recovery week!

Marci said...

Great rules.. very timely for me. I also ran a HM race this morning. What the h@#$ was I thinking?! Enjoy your recovery week!

Carolina John said...

i hear ya. i think it's going to rain all freakin weekend. dig the recovry girl!

Diana said...

My favorite all day TV thing is to put my Dallas DVD's in for the day prior to race day. Nothing like laughing at good ole JR Ewing! I do, however, plan to spend my "off" day before the big KB weekend watching "I Love Lucy".
Can I apply these recovery rules to kettlebells???!!! How does one spend time recovering a sore snatch??!!!

Molly said...

Nice. I'm using all of these next week :)

Judi said...

i love love love recovery weeks.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

O, come on sister! Think! Your @$$ could be used for sooo much more than couch-sitting.

Consult with Ryan. I bet he has some ideas ...

Kevin said...

Great rules to live by

Keith said...

Recovery weeks rule! I can't wait for my first one. I'll have you know, 6am IS sleeping in.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I hear ya on the rain. I think we are going into week 3 of this. Drought, my ass.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

lmao. love it!

Wes said...

I skipped two workouts last week :-) It was niiiiccce.

Chloe said...

Haha. Very nice rules. Bike seat vs. couch? Does a fat kid like cake!?!? Ha!

Jacob said...

Be flexible. If the fam wants to do something with you in lieu of your short run, put the short run off for another day. Maximize your time with them while you have it.


This should be a rule every week.

joyRuN said...

I like recovery weeks. I might go into a state of perma-recovery soon. Amazing how much I get done around the house when I'm not beating myself up into a bloody disgusting pulp out there.

Alisa said...

So true about the recovery week. A fellow blogger mentioned something funny the other day (she just had a baby and is going back to running), she wants to make a shirt that says "don't judge I just gave birth." I think the same approach can be used for recovery weeks or in the weeks after a big race.."don't judge I just..."

Amy said...

Love the rules. I plan on following them ALL YEAR!

Go State is right (too bad they gave it away at the end). Whomp, whomp. :(

ShirleyPerly said...

Haha, love these rules. This week is sort of a taper week for me and I really should clean my house ;-)

Hope things dry out where you are!

MCM Mama said...

I can live with those rules. Of course, I spend most of my weeks living by those rules instead of training. ;o)

aron said...

love those rules, definitely all true :) do they count for taper too?

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!