Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ironman Louisville 2009! - Race Report?



I don't know that it's a race report as much as a spectating report but here it goes. If you're going to cheer for someone you love, be sure to take notes. While we have come close to cheering perfection, there's always room for improvement. Like any race day, it started early - alarm at 4am, coffee, costume, posters and roll. Now, I was staying in a 'young' part of town so when I was going to my car, there were still quite a few people out and about. I was smart enough to cover up my outfit with a jacket and leave my wig off ... for now. I had visions of getting picked up for solicitation in my cheering get up. As planned, a handful of us made it to the swim exit ~5-5:30. We weren't the first one's either. There were others with their camp chairs and reading lites all set up. We staked out our territory, posted a few signs - "Nashville has Ironballs" - we got 'the voice of ironman' to say it on the PA for all to hear, it was a proud moment, another sign was - YOU'RE WELCOME, LOVE, Mother Nature (it was a PERFECT day) and our Excel Aquatics banners.

With bloody mary's and beers in hand, the pros and super fast amateurs staring coming out of the water. Let me just say one thing about the Ohio River, that I did NOT swim in, it was disgusting. People were coming out with muck and sludge all over them. We saw all our peoples come out without issue. I was feeling for the one's that would hit the steps and fall over, the guy who almost did a face plant onto the cement and the guy who took close to two hours to swim but felt compelled to haul ass out of the water. I would just take a minute to get my legs under me before I try to start 'shaving some time', but I digress. As soon as we had an inventory on everyone, we rolled out to the bike course.
You can not delay when you have to drive ~30 minutes to get to the almost perfect spectating spot. Our spot was a two loop locale where we got to see everyone - except the pros and superfast (like Ryan) - we only got to see them once. Banners hung and we started YELLING, cowbells, voices, flashing, mooning, whatever it takes to make YOUR day, that was OUR job. I think we succeeded, my voice still tells me that we did.

The run is great because you have a better chance of spotting people. It is also great because you look at people and are totally perplexed by how they got there and how fast they are or are not. The woman who seems too large to move that fast, the blind guy tethered to his handler (the handler does not get a number, by the way, strictly a volunteer), the older woman doing a walk shuffle thing and is moving faster than some other 'runners.' All the while, these people are passing more 'fit' or, rather, people who just didn't pace themselves correctly and/or having GI issues. While the pros are fun to watch because they're so stinkin fast, it's the everyday peeps that are really fun...especially at the finish line from about 11-midnight. The crowd just goes wild.

If there's ever an im race in your town, GO, you won't be disappointed. If you think you want to do one, GO, watch, spectate, volunteer. I promise that it will deliver.

Shout out to Ryan KONAIRONMAN at Caught on the Run for his superfast race that is getting him to the World Championships, to Amanda, James and Kelli for their first IM's and all the Nashville EXCEL peeps that killed it out there on Sunday. It really was a perfect day. Congratulations to all of you! I hope you heard us out there because I'm still paying for it! Sheesh...

Yep, been getting my shiz in as well. A hilly run that blew my legs up, a fun nite ride that pushed me over the edge, a swim that has my arms reeling (almost couldn't carry Grandma down the steps this morning) and some other runs and stuff too. Good times.

14 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Sounded like a blast, I followed my peeps, and watch the streaming internet feed that day, after my sprint, I had to join the fun some how.

Carolina John said...

wow, sounds like you guys had a great time. Way to go missy!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Volunteering or professional spectator cheering is definitely a once a year must!!
I just need to get a really SWEET wig for my next one!

Al's CL Reviews said...

That sounds awesome!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Nice hair, IO Missy!

Sounds like you had a real blast!

Tri Mommy said...

Sounds fun! I think it's awesome that you cheer everyone. My 3 year old twins and I did that at a My First Tri (their Daddy was one of the athletes) and people were actually thanking us! I know everyone that you cheered for felt the same way for what you all did for them!!

Wes said...

You guys are nuts, and quite the spectathletes!!

Keith said...

Clearly I need to take lessons in spectating. Watching via the internet feed isn't the same. Sounds like you had a blast. Want to come up to IMC next year?

Chloe said...

Check check and Check. Took plenty of notes :) Man I'm getting pumped about IMFL! Congrats on becoming 'the' IM Cheerleader!

MCM Mama said...

I so want to cheer with you some day. You really know how to do it right!

joyRuN said...

Inspirational & fun! I'll have to see where the closest one is around here...

Runner Leana said...

It sounds like so much fun! Nice job on the cheering! I wish I could have stayed until midnight at IMC. So amazing to see the people come in...

Judi said...

thanks again for coming out. will be joining you next year missy girl!

Vickie said...

Ironman Louisville has THE BEST finish line! Was there in 2007.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!