Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm exhausted!

Wow, what a weekend! A nice, long weekend that is slowly coming to an end. I just topped it off with super greasy delicious pizza and two pints of New Castle. Not much better way to end a great weekend, I say.

How do you meet new friends? You invite them on a metric century ride, of course. Long story short, a person that I've never met before (we have a mutual friend) asked me to go ride with them, for 61ish miles, and at least 1 1/2 hours in the car together. Seemed like a brilliant idea to me, so, I said yes. They picked me up at 6am and we were off. What if we really don't get along? What if we don't have anything to talk about? What if....the other person sucks? What if they're not down with me cussing (we just can't be friends)? I am happy to say, I think we ended the ride and our time as friends.

Lee is the kind of person or riding partner that just says - I'll do whatever kind of ride you need to do today since YOU'RE training and I'm not. Perfect. I said - it needs to be 18+ mph and I'll be fine with that (this being my longest ride since ironman in Nov 2008). Great, she says. Her lovely husband was also with us but was happy to do 'his' thing...he's not an 18+ kind of guy, he's a 22+ kind of guy. We all started out and parted ways as the ride took off.

Shocker - we talked, and talked, and talked - everything from children to cycling to those daYum dogs we love so much. I think we covered most everything, I swear. I even got to the point in the ride (as I do with all good friends) where I would ask complex questions to keep her talking. I was 'done' with the ride at ~50ish but I have to keep on. I didn't want to have to speak any more so I just keep on asking questions. I did tell her this, in the end. I was over it but I just needed you to keep talking to me. Yep, the kind of person that can keep you moving forward. Love that.

What I found out - she and hubs raced bikes for the last few years. Yeah, the little ride we did at ~19mph was a freakin walk in the park. While I know she was the one doing ME the favor (by going slow), she didn't lead on at any point, try to push or pull away. It might have been the most perfect 'first date.' I know the crazy cycling biatch can teach me a thing or two, that's fo sho. I think we'll keep her!

What do you do to back up your long ride - intervals the next day - on the bike. Holy hell, my legs were cooked but 'coach' Ryan was drafting ass be hind me keeping time, keeping me in check with form. My muscles hurt in all new places. Who knew there was an important muscle on the lower part of your shin/close to your ankle? Apparently, there's a muscle I have never used before. Holy jebus, that's sore.

And there it is, lots of riding with some running in between and a skipped swim...sheeeit! I can't be perfect all the time, just most of the time. Does trimming my shrubs - and by shrubs, I mean the shrubs growing outside my house, not in my drawers - count for a workout? I think I sweated out all the beer. I'm counting it!

22 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Man, I'm tired just reading this! Sounds like a fun ride, as well as a good workout!

Chloe said...

The best way to make friends...a long ride or run. You'll know right away if it's meant to be :) Glad you had an awesome weekend!

SEC football. ugh. kill me now.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Glad you clarified the shrub thing for Glaven...

Diana said...

Thanks to all the "skins" laying around my yard, I may never work on my shrubs again!
Nice bikin'

Molly said...

Good riding partners are worth their weight in gold! I'm lucky I had my boys to haul my ass back in the wind yesterday ;) Enjoy that beer!

Jo Lynn said...

Kind of like a blogger meet up, but not. LOL
That's a great way to get to know someone. I'm glad it worked out as well as it did. ;)

MJ said...

60 miles on the first date.... could have been disastrous. It sounds like you've found the perfect training partner if she's a little faster than you (and doesn't mind the swearing and cooter references.)

Cheers!

Dave said...

Are you kidding...worrying about two girls not having anything to talk about...Really? Sounds like a great time. Training with a friend makes it go by so much faster...especially since there is solitude most of the time.

FLATOUT JIM said...

Second best way, Invite them to your house for recovery beer and pizza. But only if you find out on the ride that they don't suck.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Hell, for pizza and beer, I will drive your pace wagon to give you that nice draft.

Amanda said...

Nice riding...makes it totally permissible to skip a swim :)

Carolina John said...

wow that sounds like an awesome weekend! I thought i got a lot of biking in. Geez. Newcastle is my favorite beer of all time. It's always a good way to end a weekend. Well done sister!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Does trimming my shrubs - and by shrubs, I mean the shrubs growing outside my house, not in my drawers - count for a workout?

Hahahahahaha!

NO!

Only the one in your drawers counts as a workout! So get on it, sister! (Or you could outsource the work. I'm available and cheap. Cheap as a $2 whoo-wer. Hahahahaha!)

Kim said...

wowzers, that is one heck of a bike ride! and i love (and hate) folks who arent in training but are in better shape than me!! :) sounds like you have a new BFF for cycling! great job out there!

Al's CL Reviews said...

All the comments are making me laugh!

Wes said...

Glaven is a hoot. Nice ride sista! Having good friends to help you train is ORESOME!!

Keith said...

Great ride! I'd be on for the beer and pizza. Two of my favourite food groups right there!

I've never passed, or been passed by a group of women, either running or biking, where there isn't chatchatchat happening. It's my belief that you could put any pair of women together and there'd be chat. For as long as necessary. As well, I know from experience that women can (and do) cuss worse than men. So I don't know what you were worried about.

Runner Leana said...

Sounds like a great riding friend for sure! Finding someone to ride with can be so tough - one who wants to go the same distance, is similar for pace... You've found a keeper for sure!

joyRuN said...

So you can do 19+ for THAT long while TALKING??

Good God.

Susi said...

you are perfect just the way you are! congrats on an awesome riding weekend and making new friends. like who wouldn't be your friend dude??!! you rock sista!

aron said...

yay for long weekends, great rides and new friends!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great ride! Glad you guys got along so well (why can't I find more people like that???).

And I totally think that garden work should count as a workout. I even put it on my training logs so I know why I maybe extra tired that day or the next.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!