Monday, September 14, 2009

And the angels sang...

WHY, you ask?! Because it's recovery week - cue angels flying out of my coaches butt. Yep, recovery week, no ride over two hours, no run over one hour, ahhhh! How I love it so. I look so forward to these weeks because I'm in the thick of things and this is just the extra rest that need. I lerve me some sleep, and food, an sleep. I intend to catch up on both.

This weekend was a 3:45ish bike ride in the country. I ventured down a couple of roads that I frequently pass but never go down. Think - Deliverance, seriously, banjo's and all. I'm mostly freaked out by a random pack of dogs and the guy who wants to keep me alive in his well. Seriously, these are the things that run through my brain. Thankfully, neither happened (you would be so sad if I wasn't here). I DID, however, see a 12 year old smoking in the truck with his dad. I'm sure it was his dad, it had to be. Maybe he was 15 MAX but smoking...with his dad. Yep, believe it. That was the weirdest thing I saw. I'm still on my quest for the wild dingo. An uneventful swim and my long run proved to be an interesting combo since I ran first and swam second - sometimes, you just have to do what you can with the time you have and that's how it worked out for me. I'll spare you the details of both, since you really don't care, but I DID forget a change of clothes and had to drive home in my bathing suit. If only a cop had stopped me for speeding. Ah, yes, now where IS my license anyway?

It all ended with hill repeats. Sunday was the day for hill repeats. In the South, you must be very careful on Sunday mornings because many preachers are driving to their services LATE and practicing in their cars. I am certain that there were two cars that never even saw me. C'mon, how can you miss me, I'm traveling up hill at a stellar 6 mph. I was just this side of rolling backwards. Coaches orders, all seated, no standing. This bitch of a hill STARTS at an 8% grade and only goes up from there. My little chain ring got a workout, that's fo sho. Grind em til you find em.

And THAT is the weekend in review. Oh, lots of football, lots and lots of football - it was great. Bummed about the Titans loss but it was a great game, regardless.

Now, to catch up on blogs and sleep and chores...

18 comments:

Sherry said...

Woo-hoo! Angels are singing on my blog today too! :o) Enjoy your recovery week.

Deliverance --> it's a scary thought, but I think that there are a lot more of of these Deliverance-esque towns out there than we realize. Banjos and all!

Keith said...

Football? I didn't know you liked football. Oh, (smacks head) AMERICAN 'football'. You mean drinking (which is ok) while overgrown steroidal genetic freaks in too much padding lumber around head butting each other?

Keith said...

Poop. thought I was first. At least you have towns to worry about. Here, there's very little. You'd be worried about psyco's living remote farmhouses.....

Carly said...

Yay, Recovery week!!! Sounds like you ran into my inlaws....kidding. sorta.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I guess Im just not smart, I see a road I havent been down and go "wooooo whats down their, lets go check it out"

Chloe said...

I'm right there with you on the wild packs of dogs on those scary country roads! We always shoot water at them from our bottles - usually scares them away. But I'm afraid they are going to become immune to the water.

I'm always driving back from swim pratice in my suit - and thankfully I've never been pulled over. Umm...sorry officer I have on three suits - the first two being see through.

Ok. Sorry about the long rambling. But glad you didn't come to the beach this weekend to vaca. The weather was 'iffy' all weekend!

CHLOE

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Damn, your off weeks look like my peak weeks.
The wife is headed back to Franklin for a wedding this weekend. Some kind of in breeding traditional wedding or something...
Maybe she'll run into you... hopefully not on the bike. :)

Carolina John said...

i was loving the football this weekend too. moreso if ANY of my teams actually won, but no. clemson, app state, titans and panthers all lost. geez.

people are idiots. stupid people shouldn't reproduce. 12 and smoking? with his dad? wow.

Alisa said...

I so need to do hill repeats on my bike. I learned some valuable lessons from my Tri on Saturday. I went from 2nd place in my AG (2 sec behind the leader) and 53 overall after the swim to last in my AG and 124th after the bike. I need to work on biking!

kristen said...

Grind em till you find em. Brilliant!

I'm glad you didn't get kidnapped and forced to fornicate piggy style. That would have topped being pulled over in a swimsuit.

Enjoy recovery week. Grind em till you find em.

Molly said...

LOL! Enjoy the recovery week! I so have to come out and do a deliverance ride with you one of these days - I'm a sheltered California girl!

Diana said...

We have those smokin' 12 year olds here too, but they're usually in the bars with their parents! Gotta love that law-any kid can be in a tavern with their parents-shit, I grew up hanging out in bars with my folks! I was real good at pool, but look...to this day, I don't drink! All those overpaid shrinks are wrong on this wrong!
Doing hills in the saddle-damn, that's a rough coach you got. But you must have the same thighs I do-the "jaws of life" I like to call 'em! Great kettlebell thighs!
I'll trade ya a dingo for a snake!

Wes said...

It's a whole nutha world out there in the country :-) Now, about these angels. Do they smell? Are they tainted? ;-)

Dave said...

Love me some recovery and taper...love it ....sleeping in...feeling good.....

Mel-2nd Chances said...

enjoy your recovery! sounds sorta like the hill near the end of my 100k on saturday... ugh. only i don't think i was nearly as tough as you.

Calyx Meredith said...

I was sad about the Titans' loss too - but what a great game - OT for the opening game! Have a good training week.

Runner Leana said...

Your run clothes must have been nasty if the better alternative was to drive home in a wet bathing suit! Nice job on the workouts. Now go and enjoy recovery week!

Marci said...

Enjoy your recovery week!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!