Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekend Blog Slacker

It is a well known fact that I fall off the face of bloggerland come Thursday or Friday each week. Like most of yous, weekends are filled with working out, catching up on chores and laying out recovering from said workouts. And the weekend went down like so...

Friday - morning swim before work which always makes for some nice goggle eyes at the office when people always ask - do you feel OK? Thankfully, now, they just look at me and say, how was swim? Not sure if it's the perpetual smell of chlorine OR goggle eyes.

Saturday - 3800 yard swim and 10 mile run. The swim was solo. It's kind of amazing how much swimming you can get done when you're not talking! It's a hazard, for me. 10 mile run goal was to just average 9min/mile, doable but a bit of a challenge on this warm day. The route was going to be very tame so I should make it. My splits were right on but I could hear the devil creeping in the last three miles. Well, you're almost done, you can let up a bit. IF you hit your next split, then you can cut it short. There is a Coke waiting for you in the car and the car is RIGHT THERE. Thankfully, I didn't give in but am certain I looked and sounded like I was going to die. Ran back to my car, cranked the A/C and hammered my Coke in two sips. So delicious! It's my recovery drink of choice. Checked my watch, average pace 8:55/mile. I was thrilled with the outcome, even if I did feel a little light headed.

ICE BATH
OK, I don't do these very often at all because...they SUCK. That's why! Give me a warm to hot shower any day. Sitting in there shivering my arse off does not seem like a good time. I knew I had to do it since Sunday was more pain. I don't even know how much ice to get - two bags, not enough. Whatever, I actually shower first because I am disgusting. Then I jump into the icy water bath. Holy crap, holy crap. I wrap myself in a towel and put a winter hat on. Sorry, no pictures of this. This seemed to help except that I froze my nether region off. Yes, you guessed it, since I'm no ice bath officiando, I jumped in...nekkked. OMG, I can say, I froze my arse off in the literal most sense of the word. There was SOME value in that, though. At least I couldn't feel my arse or cooter for Sunday's ride. There's got to be a silver lining somehow. After my jackassery, I donned some compression socks, shorts and raggity tank top. I'm certain that I looked like some cretin that crawled out from under a rock.

Sunday - what kind of friend says they'll do hill repeats with you? Only the best kind. Thank gawd Angie was there or I may just have crawled into the ditch a cried.

This is Angie...

Suffice it to say it was hard, I suck at it, it was hot and about 10 miles longer than we thought. Whateves, we still kilt it out 'der. Hell, one guy didn't even want to finish with us and went home. As always, she sang to me and yelled battle cries at the tops of the various climbs. It was great...and OVER.

So there it is...swimming, riding, running and frozen arses, everything a good blog entry should have.

23 comments:

joyRuN said...

No pics of the ice bath? What kinda blogger are you???

I get in the water first THEN dump the ice in. I finally learned that. Hat & sweater helps too ;)

SBJ, your workouts make me wanna crawl back to bed.

Keith said...

So I'm not first. Booo. The goggle eyes tell people that you are not to be messed with. Tell them that the Eau de pool is very expensive.

Ice bath. My question is, where do you get a tub long enough for your legs?

Steal Angie's hat for when you come to Calgary. Any time of year.

Better to be out doing, than in blogging about not doing.

Kim said...

did angie wear that to do hill repeats? cause that would just be plain hysterical. no drinking this weekend? im disappointed in you.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Shoot, you should just sign up for the full IM at B to B the way you are training....

TRI-james said...

10 mile run on Saturday and then 10+ miles hill run on Sunday - Damn!

Your ice bath works wonders.

Amanda said...

At least you always come back after your weekend hiatus!

Nice workouts!

I've yet to try the ice bath, but I might suggest wearing shorts next time :)

Ryan said...

Total Dufus!

You don't ice bath nekkid.

As far as recovery though, they are amazing, but I won't let my wife around to see me nekkid for at least 3 hours post ice bath...I don't want her to think a 4 year old has me beat :-)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Frozen, unfeeling cooter on the weekend? So ... no romance then, I'm thinking.

But - way to kick frozen arse, IO Missy!

WhyTF do I get word verification words like "imptorso"?

Jo Lynn said...

Yup, goggle eyes SUCK. Sometimes they're worse than others too. Weird. And those lines on your forehead from the cap? Thank God I need over an hour to get ready for work. That way the lines go away and the eyes CAN look better. ;)
BTW - I always knew people most people take weekends off from blogging. No big deal.

Wes said...

I'm an ice bath virgin... tee hee...

Al's CL Reviews said...

Your ice bath made me freeze!

untpawgal02 said...

I agree icebaths SUCK! Looks like a good training weekend to me!

Susi said...

what a great weekend! thank the universe for good friends who will suffer with you and cheer you on! yeah!!

i'm actually ok with ice baths... hmmm.

Carolina John said...

geez, that's nuts.

Molly said...

I'm sittin' here with goggle eyes right now. Oh joy.

Great job on your hard weekend. Definitely sit in the tub, fill with lukewarm water that is comfy and THEN add the 20lb bag of ice :)

SC's Adventures said...

I ditch the ice and just go for a cold bath followed by a warm shower. They totally work though.

kristen said...

I like to throw in the ice before I get in. Just put me out of my misery straight away. Few minutes and then it's just boring. I also wear a fleece sweatshirt, but my cooter gets the ice bath too.

Sounds like a great weekend of workouts!

MoonMommy said...

You are a workout whore, you ice bath taker! And that Angie- INSANE!!! You guys kilt it!

MCM Mama said...

Whoa, I keep reading these blogs of what people did last weekend and I'm realizing I'm a total wuss.

Great job on the workouts!

Aka Alice said...

OMFG - you sat w/your nekked cooter in ice? You are one tough chicka, that's for sure.

Only those of us who are not as hard-core as you blog on weekends :-)...that'd be me

Alisa said...

Haha, I actually kinda love ice baths! Am I a masochist?

Hot tea, a sweatshirt and the iphone make them all worth while.

Great swim, run and bike!

ShirleyPerly said...

Nice job on that 10-miler! I hear ya on weekends. No time to blog (write or read) much these days. I think a neoprene thong would come in handy for my ice baths.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You totally need to wear your bike shorts or SOMETHING in the ice bath. yeah - I do the same : shower all the gross and grime off, pull on clothes, hop in the ice bath, freeze my butt off, wait, wait, wait...get really REALLY cold...and then recover with hot tea, compression socks and about 8 layers. :)

The workouts sound GREAT - nice!!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!