Friday, August 21, 2009

New Gear and Helmet RULES...

OK, I have been using the same road shoes I got when I first started riding. As you can see, they've seen better days BUT I still love them. They are so comfortable and I'm a huge fan of Carnac's. Yep, four, count em, four straps. In tri-land, this does NOT make for speedy transitions in any kind of way.

So, the UPS man brought me a present! Look at these new fancy, carbon, super lite Scott's!!! I haven't even used them yet. I'm kind of scared, really. I've never used another shoe. I know they'll work just fine but I hope they feel as good as my Carnac's. Only some saddle time will tell.

Helmet RULES - everyone knows how I feel about a helmet FOR EVERYONE, parents, childrens, old people on a cruiser, whateves, you just gotta wear one. It's OK, it does not look cool but when was the last time you looked 'cool' anyway? No matter what you think, teenagers think YOU are a dork, it's just a fact. To prove my dork-dome and how NOT to wear a helmet, I took some pictures for you. People, when you leave the house, look in the mirror and check your helmet before you go because you don't want to look like this...

This is the one women are most guilty of and I have NO idea why. The push back - if you're trying to protect your hair, give up.

We, affectionately, call this the FRED. This is the cockeyed helmet and you just look like a jackass. Feel free to say, hey man, you look like FRED. That means, fix your helmet, dork! ...and my eyes are all jacked up because I just got back from swim!


We call this the kippah or yarmulke helmet. It's when you refuse to loosen it up and it sits on top of your head. This will do NOTHING to protect the front of your head people.

If I have to explain why this is bad, get off your bike RIGHT NOW AND NEVER GET BACK ON! You think I'm kidding...I've seen it, I've seen people riding with their helmet on BACKWARDS. No joke.
When in doubt, wear a helmet...see, even Magnus does! He's the best dawg evah.

29 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great post.
Arnie goes down so much, he also needs a mouth guard. He was truly thinking of wearing knee and elbow pads too.
Magnus needs to buckle that strap!!
Back to doggie boot camp....

Carlee said...

Awesome post. Love Magnus!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

SWEET!!! My name is on your shoes!!!

Shannon said...

You're dog is sooooo cool! That is a fact!

Keith said...

Love the helmet photos, but I think you're going to have to start warning me about photos of Magnus. I'm sure he's the sweetest dog ever, yes, I'll admit that, but the glow in those eyes sends chills down (and up) my spine when I come across them suddenly.

Kim said...

awesome new shoes! and you and magnus crack me up. hes so awesome.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

HAHAHHA, love that pic of Magnus. i think you might be right, he looks like the best dog ever :)

Wes said...

Poor Magnus... abused in the name of comedy ;-)

I bought my carbon shoes off of ebay for $65.00! Woot!! I think Nike got out of the tri shoe business. Next pair I buy will have to peddle the bike for me!! Damn tootin...

Al's CL Reviews said...

Yes, on Helmet Rules! D took a tumble without a helmet. Luckily a welt and a bruised ego were all he suffered. He now wears his helmet that we immediately got after his fall. He wasn't going to buckle it until I told him to think through that thought.

I also showed him the responses about injury from your blog the last time you posted helmet rules.

My friend just had a fall over his bike. Cracked his helmet. Glad that was all it cracked.


Congrats on your shoes!

Jon Gilchrist said...

Sweet shoes...wow....very nice. Enjoy them. they LOOK fast...hope U go fast in 'em, too.

kristen said...

HA! On my first group bike ride years ago, I started putting my helmet on....backwards. Some girl took pity on me and used sign language and gave me the heads up before I clasped it on. I felt like a tool. Live and learn.

Your news shoes are pretty!

Molly said...

OMG LOL those pictures are hysterical! I too am a helmet enforcer, it drives me nuts to see people without them (and they're usually riding against traffic, on the sidewalk, talking on a cellphone at the same time. Best was last week's long ride, when I saw a guy riding against traffic, no shirt on, wearing a MOTORCYCLE helmet, with both hands off the handlebars because he was texting.

Carolina John said...

you're going to love the new kicks. they look sweet!

Dave said...

YEAH...Magnus made the blog...who is the girl in the photos? ;-) Yeah Magnus....Go Magnus...More Magnus....

Alisa said...

I am totally with you on the helmet! They look dorky but I wear mine ALWAYS on the bike. The only thing that annoys me is my hair! Low pony tails are hard to make the run transition but high ponys don't fit under the helmet.

TRI-james said...

I agree with the helmet rules - once you crash and see the big dent in the helmet - you will never go without one!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Uh ... I liked the jaunty look of Teh FRED.

Getting Ian to wear his helmet when he rides? Always a BIG fight.

Nancy D said...

I'm such a big advocate of wearing helmets. To the point of scolding parents not wearing one then getting angry(swearing) replies in front of their kids! Gotta luv it. This morning I saw a women (probably a mother)riding in the middle of the road without a helmet. DumbA$$. We have a neighborhood backward helmet guy.

My husband was in a serious bike racing accident.. yep, his helmet was cracked good and he was in the hospital for 5 days. So my kids know the importance of wearing a helmet and have been wearing one since the big wheel days--it's the best time to start kids getting used to it.

Ryan said...

Oh go ahead and rub it in that you can get new spiffy tri shoes. I am on strike with tri shoes.

"Hell no we won't go, Hell no we won't go!"

I will not buy tri shoes...



until they make them in a size 52 (15 US but I'm so Euro)

Sweet shoes

BigGirlPants said...

You rock! I love anyone brave enough to take bad helmet shots! I can't stand when I see a mother and her little kids all ride by with their helmets pushed back on their heads and dad right behind with no helmet at all (using smoking a cigarette). Thanks!

MCM Mama said...

LOVE your helmet tutorial!

Hope the new shoes work great for you.

Jo Lynn said...

Ha Ha. That's some good lessons on the helmet Missy. Thanks for that. LOL

joyRuN said...

ROFLMAO! Freaking hilarious :D

I watched a woman ride her bike with her helmet on backwards for weeks. We were always going the opposite direction, so I never hollered out to her. Finally, finally, she's wearing it correctly.

untpawgal02 said...

Mangus is soooooooooooo ready to ride :)

MoonMommy said...

I like to wear my helmet over my face and see where I end up...gush

Marcy said...

HAHAHAHAA I love you! Without this little Do's and Don't manual I don't know where I'd be LOL

Tri Mommy said...

hysterical and yet frightening since I've seen some of these on other riders!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Love the helmet donts photos! I have been known to do a Fred if my ponytail/bun is lopsided, though. Can't tell unless I see myself in a mirror -- sorry!

aron said...

haha looove it :) yay for new gear!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!