Thursday, August 13, 2009

Coming around

Well, after my notsogreat performance at Mountain Lakes, I decided that a 2hour bike ride was going to cure me on Sunday....alone. Sometimes, you just have to go alone to think and contemplate your navel (as Mom used to say). I decided to ride past some of my old ironman training grounds just to see what was happening. I heard a nasty rumor that my friend, Snook, was no longer sitting on his front porch waving at passers-by. In fact, a friend was out there when there was a firetruck at his little house. We all assumed that he passed away. See this report from last year for the details of my Ironman Bucket List!

I knew I was on the approach to Snook's house. I start to slow, sit up, expecting to see his house buttoned up. To my biggest surprise, there he WAS! Sitting on his front porch with his overalls, jacket and hat on, waving at me - it was a gazillion degrees out too. Yep, no mistaking, it was him. It was that moment that I had truly forgotten about the previous days performance. I was just happy he was alive. I have no doubt this guy could be a 100 years old...I know he's seen some shit in his life, that's for sure. I'm sure I looked like the little kid with the shit eating grin waving so hard their hand is going to fall off. That was me and I couldn't have received any better news that day, just to know that our 'ride staple' was still out there waving at us.

In workout news...
Monday
- off day, recovery day! One of my favorite days!
Tuesday - baby run in the dark of the nite (445am) and the heat of the day, 80 + 80% humidity. I was sweating like a sumo wrestler and it wasn't even light out! Supposed to ride at nite but it rained and I just didn't want to get on a trainer, no freakin way! So, I drank beer instead. That was a great decision.
Wednesday - swim and bike, headwind can suck it!
Thursday - TRACK, OK, 24x200's SERIOUSLY?! I've never run a 200, I don't know what it's supposed to feel like but I'm sure it'll hurrrrt. Thursday's are also known as CTS days - that's cursing turrets syndrome, in case you were wondering. I curse a lot at the track and drool on myself some. It's not pretty, not a pretty day at ALL.

...then there's that short bike I skipped on Tuesday...still trying to figure out where it's going to go...

25 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I love the little things that keep us going or get us out of a funk.

Shannon said...

Is Snook his real name? I love little old men, they are some of my favorite people. My kids are even picking up on it, "Mom look there is a little old man, isn't he cute."

Keep Training Smart Mama..

Beth said...

Wow, good luck w/ that track workout. I had to do a double take - 24 x 200s?? Yipes! You go girl :)

Shazza said...

I love the story about Snook, and irrationally glad to hear he is ok! There used to be an old guy near here who leaned out of his apartment window all day long in the summer waving at the trams. Earlier this year he disappeared and now his flat has been cleaned up (he had the windows full of stickers and cardboard cutouts and old beer cans!). I always wonder what happened to him and hope he is still alive somewhere.

Diana said...

I love how the older we get, the more clothes we seem to layer on! Snook looks like a walking body of knowledge!
Good luck on the track!

Dave said...

when you are training like an animal...it is good to still keep the important things in life a priority. Thanks for sharing Snook.

ShirleyPerly said...

Great news about Snook!! That would have made my day too.

Good luck on the 200s. I don't know if I can count that high ;-)

Carolina John said...

wow, that guys is nuts! i bet he does have some great stories to tell. that's one of the things i love about the south. every town has these friendly older people just sitting around talking to anybody who will talk to them.

MCM Mama said...

Glad to hear your buddy is still around!

And those 200s just sound painful.

Sherry said...

Aw, Snook looks like a sweet old dude! I'm glad that he was ok.

24x200s! Wowza! Do you own a lap counter? :o)

Work it out HARD this week... Monday will be here again soon (for both of us)!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

So, I drank beer instead. That was a great decision.

Deciding to drink beer is always a great decision, sister.

How many turrets do you have down yawn-duh that you can spend a whole day cursing them? Are you people thinking of starting another War Between Teh States or something? (Sorry ... I meant to say "War of Northern Aggression".)

Love the story about Snook, sister!

And WTF with dissing your latest tri all the time? You did GREAT, sister!

O, man! My word verification: "fraless"!

Were you riding fraless today, sister? I bet that made your freasts look really good!

Hahahahahaha!

kristen said...

24 x 200's? Holy Fuck! Seriously.

Thanks for putting life in perspective for me this morning. I needed that!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

100, hell, he's 54... I went to school with Snook. Now that I think about it, he was 60 at the time....

Alisa said...

Yikes 200's. I hurt no matter what I do on the track =).

Jo Lynn said...

How cute is that old man! I'm happy to see he is still alive and kicking. ;)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I bet you made his day stopping by with a smile. Awesome. Have fun at the track!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Wow - that really puts things into perspective! Glad that he's okay!

And 24 X 200....um....ouch! Errr - good luck with that one!

Hua said...

What a nice blog post! I'm glad Snook is still there cheering athletes!

Molly said...

Good to see your buddy is OK! I woulda sat and had beer instead of riding too...good job catching up on some of those workouts. Damn I bet that track workout DID hurt!

PS Your word verification for this post is acavagia. I don't know why but it seems a lot like vagina. Anyways...

theloosemoose said...

I just gotta say that Snookmeister is kinda hot. I'm thinking Glaven might want a piece of that. Or maybe Nitmos, as he DID just leave a nutsack-loving comment on my blog. Just sayin'.

I had a Snook years ago. His name was Simon, and he was fairly addled but I LOVED seeing him. He always gave me a very detailed weather report. He walked all around Frostburgg hauling this garbage can on wheels, and he'd collect bottles and cans. We don't drink soda or beer or anything at all in cans, but Mr. Moose used to find some cans anyway when he was a truck driver, and he'd bring them home so we could give them to Simon. Simon's gone now. Enjoy that Snooks.

And 24x200s must have been invented by a freakin' SADIST. That is just not even human.

SwimCoachFinder said...

Any place where you can train for an Ironman and wave to a guy named "Snook" who is 100 years old, has to be an awesome place to live!

Carly said...

That totally made me smile. What a great story about Snook.

Heidi Austin said...

24x200s??? I loooove 200 workouts but can't say I've ever done that many at once :( Yuck! good job though for hanging tough :)

Aka Alice said...

I wholeheartedly approve of Tuesday's decision!

KK said...

Loved the decision to skip the ride for beer. And that guy looks like a buddy for sure!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!