Thursday, August 27, 2009

And in between...

And in between getting ready for Ironman Louisville (pronounced: Lewvoole), I have, actually been working out too. So far this week - one dreaded trainer ride (barfO, how I hate them), two pool swims, two runs - leaving two bikes, one swim and a long run left for the week. Scheduling around Ironman is hard business, I swear.

I met a friend for mile repeats at 5amish, in the dark. She looks over and says - It looks all rape-y over there. I died laughing and then agreed BUT we forged on. We figured if the would-be rapist was in there a) he couldn't catch us b) we'd kick his ass c) we'd be cussing so much he'd think we were guys. Mile repeats when down like this - warmup, then, 7:27, 7:26, 7:15, cooldown. I was very happy. The target was 7:35 so this was fine with me. The best part was that I didn't feel like I was going to puke on my shoes, really. They were hard but sustainable. I love it when what WAS really hard becomes EASY (OK, EASIER). The shorter stuff is much harder, I think. Those dumb ass 400's and 200's burn much more than these miles did.

OH, and someone puhleeze tell me how to dive or even jump into a pool without having your goggles fly off your head? We practiced this last nite at swim for in water starts and I could not get it ONE time. The daYum things flew off my head. Now, I do keep them a little looser so I don't get a headache or horrific goggle eye but jeeze. Seems like everyone else made it. At one point, I was goggle diving and that's just a little rough with contacts.

Provision check for Ironman Lewvoole...
Bloody Mary Mix
Vodka
OJ
Sugar Free Red Bull - for about 5pm when I'm dying
cups
peanut butter sandwiches
purple wig
pink duct tape - just because you should have some
pretzels
cheer signs
cowbells
I think I'm ready to GO!

25 comments:

Keith said...

Love your check list! I shared it with my wife as a template for my weekend, and I got THE LOOK.

No advice on diving with googles - I've never done it.

Beth said...

If that provision list worked for the athletes I'd do a triathlon every weekend!!! What are your plans for that pink duct tape??? No, don't tell me ... I'll just wait for the photos. Have fun!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Gorilla glue on the rims of the goggles an hour before swimming...

Could be a worse race venue. If the race were in Norfolk the locals say Norfuck

TRI-james said...

I think I will learn quick this weekend!

I wish that was my race check list.

Shannon said...

Have fun at IM.

BTW, I have got the worst goggle eyes evah.....seriously, I should take a picture.

MCM Mama said...

That's an awesome race checklist! I'll have to try that sometime. ;o)

Wes said...

If you put the straps on so tight your eyes bulge, that will help :-)

Entirely jealous you are heading out to spectate!

Have fun!!

Alisa said...

I love how you're going to tackle the rapeists =). Especially the part where you'll be cussing so much they'll think you're guys---so me! I've never done mile repeats only 800's and 400's. I must say I prefer the 800's over the 400's, I should try mile repeats.

The check list is hilarious! Next time I spectate a race, I'm sooooooo wearing a wig and drinking a bloody mary!

Amanda said...

yeah, i'm going to S-bucks at lunch to sit outside and make my own Lewvoole checklist. yours contains much more fun-type stuff...

nice job on the mile repeats. And it's great to have a friend to make you laugh your ass off at 5am.

Carolina John said...

you seem ready for lewvoole. have a safe trip!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Have a great trip!


The diving/goggle thing, I couldn't figure it out when I was on a swim team.

Dave said...

great job on mile repeats....oh ?I have speed work...yet I still do it...don't know if it does any good on the 50 mile stuff...but makes you tougher mentally. BTW..Luke is officially signed up for his first Tri. Had to move it up a couple of weeks to a different tri because the main sponser backed out....

Chloe said...

Ok. I've been swimming for 20 years now and still have goggle issues. I think it's all about luck :)

I love your IM packing list. That is no doubt the way to go!

Jill said...

Joe says not to dive but to jump with split legs (like your right leg in front and the left leg in back). This way, it breaks the water, you don't splash a ton, sink a ton...and you come right back up. He also says to place one hand over the goggles when doing this.

I did it a Music City and it worked like a dream. I was up and swimming quickly...and didn't run into anyone. Try it.

How you swim w/contacts is beyond me girl. I had to go get LASIK this year...it's glorious!!

Megaphone, you forgot the megaphone...and the sidewalk chalk, and the birthday hats...for the dead road varmits. Wasn't that hilarious?? Oh, and sunscreen...lots and lots of sunscreen!!

Jill said...

PS...you're gonna smoke my aerse in the next race. I'm skeered now.

joyRuN said...

Daaaammmmnn, speedy!

Do you stick your goggles on first then your swimcap on top? I'd heard that's supposed to keep those suckers from going anywhere.

kristen said...

Way to be you speedy bitch. Someday I'll reach your levels of mile repeat awesomeness.

I had no idea they made hot pink duct tape. who knew? Have fun!!

David said...

If your gonna jump with goggles the approved method is left hand on goggles right hand pinching nose(even if you use a nose clippy).

Diving- just before hitting the water tuck your head (chin to chest almost) your massive guns should be squeezing your grape. This should do the trick

Carly said...

LMAO about the "rape-y" area. My friend and I have had similar conversations while out running.

I love your checklist....I might have to come join you in LOOOOIE-ville (as we crazy Minnesotans say). You got me at Bloody Mary.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

have fun this weekend, i'd love to spectate an IM!

Kelli said...

Can't WAIT to see your crew out there!!

theloosemoose said...

Those mile repeats are FAST. You are gonna kick some serious ass in Lewvoole.

Have fun!!!

triguyjt said...

very creative check list...LOL!!

TRI-james said...

Missy - You and your crew made my day twice during the bike at Louisville - Thanks!!!

You guys were the best cheerleaders ever!

BigGirlPants said...

LOVE the checklist- sounds very close to my checklist that I use for preparing for a family reunion. The only goggle advice that I have received is to put my straps under my cap to keep them from flying off but I haven't tried it yet.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!