Monday, July 6, 2009

TdF, Magnus, and some workin out

OK, I just love to watch the Tour de France. I'm sorry but there is nothing that gets me more jazzed to ride than watching these 'specimen's' ride up a mountain at 20mph when I'm rolling at 10mph (on a good day)...gawd, just amazing. BTW, they shave or wax better than I do too. I need to find out their secret because it's always slightly disturbing to me when I show up for a group ride and the guys legs are smoother than my own.

Three, Three and Three - three swim, three bike and three runs turned into two, three and three. I'll take it. The bad part, I've been seriously relying on my swim fitness from that 5K swim training to get me 'through' everything so far this year. Whenever something gives, it's the swim. I have this internal thing that tells me - you've paid your dues, you don't need to hit the pool right now. Sleep, sleep will be better right now. Blasted, I gotta get over myself and quickly. The bikes were great, although downhill at 17mph blows, literally, BLOWS. Thought I was going to get my ass blasted off the bike a few times BUT I just held on for the ride. Even got a TT ride in last week. I'm not like many trigeeks, I'm a HUGE fan of my road bike and will ride it 1-2 days/week and my TT bike for the remainder. When my (roadie) friends get together to ride, it's hilly, it's technical, often dark and a TT bike is just not the right choice. My road bike is the shiz and I LOVE IT. In fact, coach says that some of my key bike workouts (for B2B) will be on my road bike for strength building...hill repeats. Um, did I ever tell you what I suck at the most? Yep, you guessed it, hills. He says, stronger climber = stronger on the flats. I'm trusting you big bald man. PR, remember, PR at B2B and YOU have to get me there! Running has just been running, nothing spectacular and nothing terrible.

In Magnus news...I had to sleep with him one nite last week. We were nose to cone in HIS bed together because dogs don't come INTO our bed with us. We're way too big to deal with two big dawgs. SO, I made a bed along side his (stinky) bed and we snored the nite away. I heard a rumor that my head was inside his cone. Here's the substitute cone we've been using. Looks like a hemorrhoid pillow! He's not as anxious as he is wearing the cone. He might just die of drowning by drool in that thing. This is like a built in neck pillow you wear on a plane. Not a bad deal. He's totally embarrassed.

24 comments:

Diana said...

Magnus looks sooo sad!
You should use my bike to ride for awhile, that'll get you better on the hills riding that heavy ole thing!

Dave said...

hang in there Magnus...your crazy owners are really trying to take care of you....

Mel-2nd Chances said...

awww, poor Magnus.

i suck at hills too, but felt a bit better on them yesterday :)

Carolina John said...

I'm loving the TdF too. cool thing about working from home, i get to watch it live during the day. total inspiration all day.

i love my road bike too, i don't even own a tt bike. the bald man is right, stronger on hills does totally equal faster on flats. it's all hills around here, so it makes for awesome hill training and i hate every minute of it. but it sure does make the flats faster. and gives you more endurance.

IronBob said...

That's why I do IMFL and only IMFL... hills!! Hate them

Wes said...

I am already working on turning my chicken thighs into HAMs :-) Poor Magnus. This too shall pass...

Jo Lynn said...

Magnus' new "cone" looks more like a little floating device. I've slept in the hallway with my kitty before when she had a cast on her leg, because she would not quit crying and that's where she finally layed down.

When you run single track trails in Colorado, I hope you take pictures and enjoy the heck out of it. ;)

Keith said...

That whole leg waxing/shaving things is, well, I don't know, just unmanly I guess, to an old guy like me, even though I fully recognize the guys that do so are as studly on the bike as anyone could wish to be. If I go 6 out of 7 days shaving just my face that's a good week and I've gone years without. Doing the legs seems fussy and high maintenance. You can't convince me the aerodynamic effect is measurable and in any case, if you put the time spent shaving towards training you'd be better off. It makes it easier to deal with road rash? I say don't be such a pussy and rip that bandaid off when needed.

And, how does one put this delicately? Where do you stop? With your face, or my face anyway, the limits of the shave zone are clear. Now, I KNOW I'm not the hairiest guy out there, but even so, there is a lightly furry surface all the way up, so to speak, past Glavin's favorite part of anatomy (easy there big boy!) onto tummy and chest. Stopping anywhere is going to look odd. Or am I missing something? Or is the expense of buying razors an additional triathlon expense nobody told me about?

I agree with you. Sleep is always better. And since swimming is always a morning activity, it's very easy to rationalize more sleep. I'm a huge fan of my road bike too! Estela is a total champ; I talk to her all the time on our rides. Do you talk to your bike? Does it have a name?

Magnus might be a total sweetheart, but that look, to me, is very eloquent about which portions of anatomy are going to get chewed first. His eye looks better.

Kim said...

mmmmmm hot cyclists :) although i definitely am like 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than they are :)

poor magnus! he needs a treat!

TRI-james said...

I overheard this once:

Why do you shave your legs?

Because furry legs look silly with a bare crotch.

kristen said...

stronger hills = stonger flats. Sounds good. That's my new mantra on long runs.

p.s. I don't have a road bike - that's why I don't get into tris. I have the desire, but not the tools at the moment.

Runner Leana said...

Hill workouts are good for you! At least that is what I'll be telling myself as I focus on hill work in prep for Lake Stevens. Good luck with it!

Poor Magnus...I hope he is healing up well!

Vickie said...

I'm not so good on the hills either. That's why I pick flat races.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Death by drool?

I guess there are worse ways to go ...

O, who am I kidding! No there aren't!

Poor Magnus!

theloosemoose said...

Boo! Hiss! Hill work SUCKS!!

Magnus is adorable...which is high praise from me, the world's wussiest , most fearful dog person.

MCM Mama said...

Poor Magnus. He looks so unhappy. You are such a good doggy mama though.

Carly said...

Poor Pooch! He can certainly get some loving with that face.

joyRuN said...

No pics of your head in his cone??

I've had to sleep with T2 a lot this past week - doesn't make for a good sleep. Magnus is lucky to have you.

Steve Stenzel said...

2, 3, and 3 is not to shabby!! Nice!!

And "drowning in drool" is NOT how I'd like to go! Ha!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Oh Magnus!

Alisa said...

I'd say that's still a great training week! I'm shooting for 2-3 of each every week. Weird that swimming gets the shaft from me too even though it's my favorite and my strongest leg =).

Poor Magnus, what a cuite though!

aron said...

haha sounds like something i would do :) sleeping next to the dogs. i totally agree, our 2 dogs do not fit into our bed either! poor guy hope he is feeling better soon.

ShirleyPerly said...

LOL on that Magnus photo!!

I'm glad you mentioned that becoming a stronger hill climber will make you stronger on the flats. I'm not going to have time to train specifically for B2B and will be piggybacking off of my Great Floridian training, which is a fair amt of hills. Now if I could only go 20mph up them ...

Hope you had a good 4th!

RBR said...

The Tour yesterday was soooo awesome! I am not even that big of a fan, but that final Astana sprint to the end of the time trial was so cool!

Don't worry Magnus, the donut is very becoming. Good thing you have such a good mommy to sleep with you even in your stinky bed! :o)

Oh, and I do not believe FOR ONE MINUTE that you suck at hills. Not one minute.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!