Friday, July 17, 2009

TdF Dreams....

When you have the sleep schedule of a pre-schooler, you're asleep before the evening recap of TdF ends. I never have any clue as to what happened. Yep, that's asleep by 9pm because I know how to parrrrty. First, I have to watch the daYum thing with a calculator - sorry my Canadian friends, I just really don't know how fast 42kph is. Why we never went metric, I'll never know (snobby Americans). Didn't they tell me I had to learn it in the 5th grade because we were making the switch?! It makes so much sense, but I digress. While watching, it seemed as though they just were out for a weekend ride, chatting it up on an easy stage while rolling at 25-28mph AND 102 BPM on some guys heart rate monitor!!! 102 BPM, are you kidding me? I can fart and be at 102 BPM or run across the house to grab a puking dog! 102 BPM.... pffft.

Last nite was a short but hilly, fast ride. Ryan wants to continue on this power 'thing' we started in Colorado and decided to put me to the test. If it wasn't 430am, I'd post a profile but I need to get swimmin. Suffice it to say, I blew 102 BPM out of the water and I think my heart almost blew up trying to hold onto his wheel. I figured a nice little 3 miler would be good since the ride was so short - 8:30/mile (OK), 9:05/mile (mmm?), you can see where this is going, right into the toilet...My legs were blown up and I actually remember seeing 11/mile on some hill. Meh, and now it's off to swim!

Still trying to catch up with everyone!...while doing all my laundry. What a mess.

14 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I enjoyed this post 100 percent.

But that's 100 metric percent, so that seeming compliment could be a kertwang at your expense.

You;ll never know.

Jessica said...

I love how you often relate things to your dog....puking, farting, etc. I have a boxer myself, so I love seeing the pictures you post on here! Oh, and I also enjoy reading about your triathlon adventures as well...since that is what this blog is about :)!

Carolina John said...

I've been loving the TdF too but i actually get to watch the replays during the day usually. it really kicks ass!

TRI-james said...

It sucks coming back from vacation - the work piles up.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I know all too much about the KPH, I thought I was having kliier bike workouts, till after my tri and saw the standings and the bike was ultra slow. And I look at my computer and its measures speed in KPH, ugh, so sad.

kristen said...

Nice to have you back. I think I'm 102 while SLEEPING!! Crazy!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i've been amazed when they show their heart rates too! I'm above 102 bpm getting my ass outta bed!

Keith said...

42 Kph is finishing the bike leg of an Oly in 1 hour with time for T2. Easy. Is that fast? Hmmm, depends.

That second para confused the hell out of me. You talked of going for a 3 mile bike ride. Converting to real units, that's 4.8 K, so a really really short ride. OK, if that works for you. But here's the confusing part - a 8:30 minutes per mile pace???? That's a slow run for lots of people here.

Or has writing a blog pre-swim, pre-coffee introduced subtle errors in the record? Like going for a run instead of a ride?

I find it very amusing that the IMPERIAL system is still in use by only one country that non-Americans can find on a map. (I've seen video evidence that American's can't find ANY countries on a map, not even their own.) We'd have completed the switch and joined the rest of the world long ago if it hadn't been for the whines of some pussy American manufacturers that couldn't do basic math and oligarchic robber barons allergic to spending $ on anything except themselves. Kertwang!

I'm going to get a coffee myself, and I'll be better shortly.

Alisa said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes to bed at 9pm! It killed me during the Olympics last summer, I couldn't see anything when it was actually on =(.

My doggie loves to get into things she's not supposed to and it often results in a dash to grab her and move her to the kitchen where there is tile, much easier to clean barf off tile than carpet!

Good job with the workout, despite what you consider a slow run. I'd love to be running 9 min miles =). I love stalking other people's bike,run and swim specs and their workouts so when you have time to, I for one, love the full recap rundowns!

Wes said...

My RHR is 102 :-) Evidently your blood dries up as you get old and your poor ticker has to work harder to push the sludge through the heart...

MJ said...

Those TdF guys are machines.

If I ever see anything over 8min/mile I assume the satellites are malfunctioning... you should try that - makes every run so much more positive. (Warning: you may get pissed off at your Garmin.)

Lora said...

Oh, my gosh, Missy, you crack me up!!!! Can totally relate to "having" to learn metric in grade school 'cuz that's how we'll be doing it soon. Yeah, right.

Thanks for the well-wishes on my blog lately, by the way.

theloosemoose said...

I don't think Americans are too snobby to go metric. I think we're just too stupid/stubborn.

PS - My typical bedtime is 8:30. 'Cause I'm such a party animal. Maybe if I could manage to stay up later I could put my time to good use, like learning that tricky, absurdly complicated metric system...Nah. Screw that.

Carlee said...

I too have the sleep schedule of a preschooler...however, I still sleep Less than most of my friends so I guess it is forgivable. If only I could teach myself to sleep in the one day a week I don't have to get up pre-5:30...(if there is one that week)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!