Friday, July 31, 2009

A tale of two, er, three shoes

Be sure to tune in this weekend - click on the logo for details! Look for me, yeah, I probably didn't make the cut.

Everyone knows of my quest to find MY new shoe! I mean, seriously, what else do you have to worry about in your life than MY need for a new running shoe?! GAWD! See previous posts for my trip down Asics lane into the ugliest shoe in America, OK, all of North America, that should cover it. But wait, I see the UPS man, could it be, would it be...it IS. My original pair of shoes, the KSwiss misouls from Road Runner Sports. YESSSS!

First - the Asics - fine, they're ugly. They are also giving me the shin splint twinge on the right leg after two baby sized runs. I will give them one-two more chances and if I'm still feeling it, back to RRS they go.

Second - the KSwiss - not terribly attractive but they DO come with drainage holes and two sets of inserts. One for racing and one for training, one just lighter than the other. Drainage holes are very important in tri-land OR if your feet sweat a river when you run. I did my first workout in them and, drum roll, no shin splint twinge. I'm so sensitive to it. It's part of the reason I stopped running. I couldn't deal with IT band and shin splint shiz any longer. Furthermore, it was my track workout for the week. Big shout out to my coach, triswami - who insists on talking to 'us' when we're doing 6x800's. Um, I can't really speak and I can hardly hear you because I'm just this side of 'tarded. By 'us' I mean me and Tilghman and by Tilghman, I mean ironTilly. She's getting ready for a marathon because Ironman just wasn't enough for her this year!

Third - the heels - why am I such a jackass? I mean really, post track workout when you wanted to puke on your new shoes and you wear heels to work. Freakin genius! I gimped around all day and looked like a moron. Shocker, I know.

So there it is, Asics zero, Kswiss one, heels negative one. More to come but I'm hopeful that one of these daYum shoes will work. This is torture. OH, and if you've never tried Stuffits, they're great to keep stinky, wet shoes feeling fresh. And no, they didn't pay me, I won them at a race. See, I do win prizes, but they should pay me, shouldn't they?!

Off to swim...

15 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Drainage holes? Dam, why didn't I think of that!?!

With all the sweat that's pouring off me and into my shoes I've had to dry them out as if I'd run in a rain storm after every run. And those Stuffits are probably something I need to get too. Thanks for the link!

joyRuN said...

Who can TALK during speedwork? There's no room for talking in my gasp/wheeze rhythm.

Those heels musta hurt, but they look damn cute :)

Chloe said...

Kswiss! Kswiss! I'm looking forward to your full report on those bad boys!!

Free stuff at races is the BEST! I don't think cydomax and I would be friends if I didn't win a huge thing of it a few months ago!

Think about heading down this way for IMFL - we need another superhero to run the course with us :)

Dave said...

Hope the shoes work. Took me a while to find a trail shoe. Finally did and turned 3 more people on to them. Salomon should pay me too...now that you mentioned it. have a good weekend.

Keith said...

The more I read about people's ordeals with shoes, the more I realize how lucky I am. So far. Knock wood, ect.

Drainage holes - whodathunkit? Next thing you know they'll be installing bilge pumps.

I am astonished that you even OWN heels! Well, maybe one pair for tres fancy occasions. But to wear to work?? As the song goes, what were you thinking?

No market for stuffits up here. It's so dry even the wettest shoe will dry out in a couple of hours, tops.

Oh, and thanks for the link to Tilghman's race report.

FLATOUT JIM said...

Good luck this weekend.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Never heard of the drainage holes... hmm! Hope those shoes work out well for you... and can't wait to watch the IronGirl!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

What is it with you skirts and your shoe obsessions?

Hmmm, but then again, heels DO give a little extra something to the calve-al and @$$-al areas, so ...

Carry on.

Wes said...

I would definitely pay you. with all that math, I think Zero is My Hero :-) Love the k-swiss. Wonder if/how I'll ever end up with a free pair of those? I'm calling Lieto now...

kristen said...

I need those stuffits. My shoes are RANK. Serioulsy.

I set my DVR for Iron girl. I'll be on the lookout for a crazy lady in a green speedo.

The K-swiss aren't necesarily ugly. At least they are patriotic. Whatever works. I gave up on finding cool looking shoes after my IT injury. (although I'm in love with my hot new raacing flats)

Alisa said...

I was on a quest to find shoes too. I went from Nike, to Adiddas, to Mizuno and Asics...didn't find my true love til I met my Saucony ProGrid Rides. They're ugly but I love em! Sadly, Saucony just came out with the ProGrid Ride 2's...my toes are nervous but I'm hopeful Saucony didn't totally mess with my lover. HAHAHA!

untpawgal02 said...

Oh I so need drainage holes on my shoes... maybe I'll have to get a pair of those KSwiss Misoles... hmmmm!

Sherry said...

Watched AFLAC IG today... I think I saw a glimpse of your hair. ;)

Oh, fun with shoes! I went through so many different brands last year that my feet didn't even know what to think. I finally settled on Newtons (the lesser of all evils for me), but I have been eyeballing the K-Swiss line. Probably b/c it's a new line, probably b/c Bree wears them... and now you! :o)

Hey, any chance you can do B2B again NEXT YEAR? LOL!

Beth said...

Watched Iron Girl today but did not see you. Did you make the cut? Got your notes on Flying Monkey. I am fired up!!!!!!!!!!!

Runner Leana said...

Oh, I have a good shoe story for you! I ran into work on Thursday....just over 2 hours. Then wore some crazy high heels which are okay if you want to sit at your desk. But I met a friend for lunch a good 10-15 minute walk away. You should see the cuts on the side of my foot. It keeps bleeding every time I put socks on. Maybe I should do a blog post to show it off? I'm such an idiot since this definitely won't have healed by the time I race in two weeks!!!!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!