Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Party is over...


Like all good things, they must come to an end...vacation is over and it's time to head back to work. I would highly recommend Crested Butte to anyone. It's a small town and you kind of feel like you're on an island. Everyone knows everyone else and their business, as far as residents go so if you're planning on a bender some Saturday nite, it might just be in the newspaper. You don't have to lock your bike and most people leave the keys in their car when they're in town. Dogs are allowed everywhere and I didn't see ONE misbehaved hound. It was a great break from normal.

I confirmed a few things on this trip...

I'm a mountain girl. Given a choice of beach or mountains, hands down, mountains.

I still suck at and don't like to mountain bike. If I lived there, I'd learn but I don't need one more hobby at this point. I'm busy enough.

I DO like to trail run. I'm sure there's a way to properly trail run but I did my best. I kept my eyes glued to the trail. I went to look at my watch ONCE and stumbled to the ground. Lesson learned, don't take eyes off the ground. Note to self: get trail shoes, old road running shoes without much tread left were sketchy on the descend. It was a nice change of pace, literally and figuratively. I did not have delusions of what my pace would be, I was in the mountains for crying out loud. I was happy when I ended up ~12:30ish/mile and zero oxygen.
OH, I beat this guy to the other side too. The joy of beating someone on a bike...it was a new feeling. Have a good day...sucka...

I need to stop eating like it's my fourth sport. While I was active every single day, I was also consuming like it was my vacation. Blasted. That swim suit was a little tight in the middle yesterday. Felt a bit like a stuffed sausage.

Since bikes are not locked up, it leaves us with great moments after dinner and drinks like this one...

People ARE crazy. We headed out for a back country picnic by a waterfall only to find some crazy ass kayakers getting ready for a dip. No joke, there were two waterfalls and they nailed them both.

8-14% incline will make you stronger - I don't care if it was a mountain bike and I thought I was going to die, I made it and even beat a person or two.

And now, it's back to training for B2B! I recently received coaches new and improved training plans for me this time around. My quads quivered when I read it. Not all but mostly hill work. Um, B2B is flat coach...yeah, yeah, strength building, I know, I know.

I'll work to catch up with all y'all!

22 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Sounds like a nice vacation. And kayakers are crazy, different crazy then triathletes.

IronBob said...

I love CB. What is great is the fact that it is truly "at the end of the road". Instructions to get there: " Turn right at Gunnison and drive until the road ends".

Carolina John said...

sounds like a great vacay. that hill work will get ya every time.

Dave said...

Darn Straight the Vacation is over...now get back to work!!!;-)

I'm with you on the mountain thing. My wife and I go to the beach and after about 2 hours it's like, "I'm bored, let's go do something." Love the mountains! Also with you on the lottery thing too.

Chloe said...

Growing up I told myself that either I would live in the mts or on the beach. Well - you see where I ended up :) But I LOVE the mts - can't wait to go back! So glad you had an excellent vacation!

Trail running is hard - you want to look around and see what's around you. But if you do - you end up on your ass!! :)

Kim said...

HOW FUN!!!!! no need to track pace when youre running on trails in the mountains - hard enough as is! glad to see my girl was still boozing it up all the while!

Blondie said...

I'm gald you're back!!!!!

Keith said...

Looks and sounds like you had fun. I was waiting to read that it was you or your hubby in the kayaking pics. Now THAT'S crazy.

Shazza said...

Mountains! Totally! One of the reasons I chose live in Switzerland.

Sounds like you had a fabulous vacation and it looks gorgeous there too.

At least you got some good workouts in between all the eating and drinking...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

BEAUTIFUL, sister! I love the beach, but I also love the mountains. I could get into some trail running myself, I think.

Welcome back.

It was a great break from normal ...

Hahahahaha! I love how you imply that kinda life ain't normal!

kristen said...

Glad your back. I missed your crazy posts. Sounds like a very relaxing and fun vacay. Beautiful pics.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

welcome back! Love the pics, looks like a wonderful time, and you were definitely active! Nicely done!

Wes said...

trail shoes are awesome. I will probably use mine like twice a year :-) How long before dry rot sets in? LOL... Welcome home, and yea, get back to training!

KK said...

Yay for mountains! I've heard awesome things about CB but never been there. Thanks for your insight and pix, looks like you guys had an awesome time! Love the "see ya later suckah."

Alisa said...

Awesome vacation!

I am HANDS DOWN a beach person. The mountains are pretty but they are cold and snowy, I'm a warm sun and sand girl. BUT I can appreciate both.

Eating like it's a fourth sport, hahaha!

JoyJoy said...

Oh so beautiful..thanks for sharing. I think I am about to go crazy from no vacation.

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

I'm with you on the mountains. I just got back from Mt.Rainer National Park. I hadn't been there since I was a child. I love it even more now.

I too have to get back on the training plan!

MCM Mama said...

Looks like an awesome time! I can't wait until our kids are a bit older and we can really go hiking again.

AKA Alice said...

My gosh girl...Are you going to need a vacation to recover from your vay-kay?

Jo Lynn said...

Love the little single track behind you. Did you run on it? How can you NOT like trail running. There's no real trick to it, other than, yah, keep your eyes on the road. LOL If you don't, then you will miss out on all different kinds of bugs and snakes. Trail shoes are an important part of the trail running experience.
And your hubby on the little bike - OMG! My oldest bro is 6'6" and once looked like that on a mini motor bike. Did you laugh so hard you almost peed your pants? I did! LOL

ShirleyPerly said...

Love those photos! Esp. those kayakers -- CRAZY!!!

And yes, trail running is fun. I've yet to have the right shoes, though, and am always worried about rolling my ankle so have to go super slow (besides the fact the altitude really gets to me).

Glad you had a great trip!

aron said...

beautiful pics!!! looks like an awesome vacation :)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!