Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Shooozzzzzeee!

So, like all of your favorite things, they change the recipe! Whatever it is, they want to change it, improve it, make a new model - cars, food, running shoes. When Fila said they were going to stop making running shoes altogether, I knew I was in deep shit. My legs like what they like, shin splints be damned. I have finally run out of (literally) my last pair of Fila's. I used them for some trail running in Colorado and they are cashed. Prior to going to CO, I ordered a new pair of KSwiss miSouls - site unseen ... not even tried on. I'm keen on the idea of inserts for training and another for racing. They've been getting a lot of good press lately so I'm anxious to try them out. Ordered them from Road Runner Sports with my VIP discount, perfect. Ship day passes, I call, they're shipping tomorrow, OK. That day passes, they're on back order, they're shipping Monday, fine. I'm starting to lose patience. I know they're just reading what's on the screen but I basically have nothing good to run in. Third call, I keep my cool and just tell the guy - I need shoes, yesterday, find me something. I don't know what kind of 'Fit Expert' Mr. Running Pants is but this is what he got me....these might just be the ugliest shoes I have EVER worn. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if they do me right but c'mon Asics, really?!? Who the hell is in the design department because we need to chat...

Mr. Running Pants wasn't so much of an expert as he was the phone guy. I give him my stats, height, weight, I'm a neutral, mid foot striker, blah, blah, blah. He says - well, Asics is our most popular brand, does popular mean that's what I should get? OK jerkey, find some that work for me, then. THIS is what he comes up with. Fine, fine. I am going to wear the shit out of these before my 60 day/return period is up, that's fo sho (and put Road Runner's return policy to the test if necessary). This poor kid was probably some college runner who weighs 95lbs and runs a 5 minute mile - that qualifies him for fit expert, apparently. I'll test them out this week and will know if they are shin splint worthy in about two runs - that is MY downfall and I will get the twinge early on. They feel great walking around the house, but what wouldn't, you're on carpet for crying out loud. At least you'll be able to see my size 9 feet from a mile away, holy crap! Oh, and my KSwiss are still on back order but I intend to keep those two. Two is better than one.

In workout news...
It's recovery week so um, yeah, not a ton to report. About an hour in the pool working on a bit of speed with my coaches (they just happened to be there swimming too) and a 3 mile run and I didn't even wear a watch. Just out for a stroll. At the pool, HOWEVER, there always seems to be good stuff. First of all, when I am relegated to water aerobics, what kind of music will they play for 'my crowd?' Today, it was show tunes and Barry Manelow, no shit. I love these ladies because they're working out in water but their hair and makeup is done. Perrrrfect. In contrast, the Senior Games are taking place at our pool this weekend. Rather than hairs did, make up on, skirted bathing suit lady doing the jig in the kiddie pool, there were older ladies, in their one piece Speedos, caps, goggles, getting ready for their events. I have NO clue what their times are or even what events they host but they were getting ready. They are more modest and cover themselves before walking on deck, generational, I'm sure but that got me thinking - who do I want to be when I grow up? I figured that when I couldn't tri any longer I'd do aquabike and when I couldn't do aquabike, I'd swim and when I couldn't swim, I'd do water aerobics BUT the Senior Games!? Hell yeah, that's who I want to be when I grow up. I just hope someone will shuffle me, my blue hair, and my Speedo to the pool. These are the things I dream about when I get older - getting to Kona, because that is the only way I'll qualify, if I'm hanging around long enough where I'm one of two in my age group. What's that about 60-65 for women? AND the Senior Games. Please don't put me in water aerobics, I don't like show tunes or Barry Manelow.


22 comments:

Keith said...

Those ARE some ugly shoes.

I get a big kick out of the geezers at the pool. Running late, maybe more later...

Dave said...

I feel your shoe pain....why do shoe company's constantly change shoe models that we come to know and love...WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!....I am waiting for Soloman to tell me they are no longer making the XT Wings...only after I have over a 1000 miles in the shoe.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

haha, we were 'observing' the end of the water aerobics class before our lane swim yesterday too LOL Good luck with the shoes!

Kim said...

1. every asics i have ever owned was discontinued - can still find MOST of them still through eastbay.

2. i agree that the asics designs have went down the crapper. i hate the new asics i have - super ugly, kind of like yours ;)

3. they play SHOWTUNES at my YMCA too! the old lifeguard, God bless his soul, is adorable, but the rest of the old lady geezers in their water aerobics class are not!!!! let's swap their CDs for like JayZ - see how they like it!

Wes said...

Yup... dem some ugly shoes... but I like K-swiss too. Maybe they'll stop sending me free ones and I can actually BUY some some day... after I get some ASICS, and Nikes, and oh crap... :-)

Carolina John said...

yea.... good luck with that. i hate how they "upgrade" every shoe every year.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

O, man, what does it say about me that those shoes kinda gave me a bit of a chubby and had me wondering if they'd ever be attracted to a luuzzzer like me?

Because I bet those shoes would do certain things that the other, cuter more clique-y shoes would NEVER do in a million years. And what's more, they'd enjoy it.

But I've said too much.

Diana said...

WOW! And I like the color blue-but shit....those pretty much just are ugly!! But they will match your blue hair when you get to the senior game age!

Runner Leana said...

Hmm, I actually rather like my Asics. They have paisley on the inside which is very me. But those Asics are definitely ugly!!

Ah, the senior games. How awesome would that be?!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Those shoes are ugly.

Your pool has music? I have never noticed with mine. I love Barry Manilow, so I probably would've have joined the make-upped ladies. Heck I probably would've sung my lungs out and cleared the pool!

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Now you should be doing tri's well into your 60's. The Dextro Energy ITU age group race had several women over 60 (we all wore our age on our calves - don't know if that is standard practice) and most of them former Iron Man racers from their younger years. I was chatting with them. One was 72! Now thats where I want to be... then they can shuffle my butt in the wheel chair to the senior games when I'm 80!

Those shoes are bright. Hope they work.

kristen said...

I have mixed emotions on the shoes. I don't think they are too bad. Weird, yes. Ugly, undecided.

There is a woman who is about 70+ (no shit) that swims laps in the mornings. She is not fast, but she swims laps THE ENTIRE TIME I'm in the pool. I love her. She is hardcore. No bullshit. In and out. I want to be her when I grow up!!

IronBob said...

Try ebay, you might get lucky and find a pair of your old shoes.

RBR said...

Don't get me started on customer service idiots...

My fix for ugly shoes is to go trail running in them. It usually takes the obnoxious color down a notch.

Upside on that color is that when you run fast and you will get that cool trailer effect. Like when they show Superman running on TV!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I hate it when they keep "improving" the shoes I love. I hope those Asics work for you. I must admit I've had some ugly ones that worked well so I got over their appearance pretty quick.

And I've been looking at the senior games too. The min age is 50 so only a couple years away!

untpawgal02 said...

Sweet looking shoes... can I have 'em if you don't like 'em?

Jenna said...

ugly mo fo shoes .... you better get the design peeps on the phone:)

MCM Mama said...

Those are some ugly shoes.

And as far as the seniors, I figure the only way I'll ever win an age group anything is when I'm about 20 years older than now. By then, all the ladies who started running in high school will have fallen apart and I'll still be fresh LOL.

Chloe said...

Good luck on the new shoes! I'm sure they will be just fine - but I hope you LOVE LOVE LOVE your Kswiss as much as I love mine. Seriously. I think I'm going to marry them. My name will be Chloe Swiss. :)

No luck on the limo with the bike rack.

Keith said...

Me again. Show tunes are all very well. Barry Manilow is a bit of a gagger I have to admit. But the thing that kills me about the geezers in the pool is the smells. No, not the poopy diapers. The perfume. I had to leave one day because I thought I was being gassed. We won't even discuss how bad some men's clothes smell, even through the locker door.

joyRuN said...

Hmmm... 60-day return policy, eh? That might be a good way for me to try out some Vibrams risk-free!

It's why we have so few lap lanes available in our pool. The senior citizens HAVE to have their 2 lanes to get in the water for their morning chit-chat. At least they wave their arms around once in a while to keep active ;)

AKA Alice said...

My experience with Asics is that they are soffffftttt (like buttah) and wear pretty quickly, so wear the shit out 'em and return 'em. That is the good thing about RRS, they'll take 'em back. I take shoes back there all the friggen' time.

Those are some butt-ugly shoes though.

Barry Manilow and show tunes...hahahahahaha. Yeah, ya gotta just start singing along because even if you don't like Barry, you know you know all the words!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!