Monday, July 20, 2009

Acclimated

Officially acclimated to HOME again - no more mountains (oh how I miss you), no more lazy mornings of watching the tour, drinking coffee before a trail run. It's laundry, mountains of laundry, old and injured dogs and a dirty house. You know it's bad when your kitchen floor feels like you're at the beach. Oh well, another day, not today.

Got the rest of my training in for the week including an open water swim with Grandma, a 'longerish' run and a ride with Ryan. Who tried to kill me, by the way! His expectations are great since we left Colorado. Apparently, our five or so days at altitude were supposed to carry over and make me into some kind of climbing machine or something. I'm trying. My legs are shredded and now it's a recovery week for me. Hoorah! I'm not like most of you frrrreaks. I love, even cherish recovery weeks. They just give me the time I need to get to other shiz. Don't get me wrong, I DO get the jimmy leg and feel a little crampy but I like the extra rest - it does a body good. At least it does to me.


I'm sorry to say that Grandma (Kasha) is not doing well these days. Her hips are getting worse by the minute, it's like you're actually watching her get OLD. I've had dogs before this shouldn't be that new but she's our first dog together. We got her as a scared little puppy at 8 weeks old and now she's relegated to having us carry her up and down steps. We've both caught her falling down on multiple occasions and it seems to be increasing exponentially. Her heart is still there, she still wags and is happy to she you, she gives you a little jig when you come home even. Her body is really starting to fail her and that just makes me sick. It's one thing if you can tell that their 'heart' isn't in it any more. We always said, we'll know, she'll stop wagging her tail. But what if she doesn't, what if she doesn't stop wagging? Oh for Pete's sake, I can't even see through my own drivel here. Why the hell do these damn animals affect us so much? Unconditional love is the only thing I can come up with. Hell, she's better traveled that some people and has better health care than at least 50% of the world. Even with that, there's nothing else they can do for her hips. At 13, what else do you want? Like anyone you love that is old, you just want more time, but it has to be good, quality time, more time.

Friday nite we shut down a restaurant in town with some good friends, good drinks and good food. We moved our little party to our house where it was more cocktails...always spells disaster. We had a blast so I'm chalking up my Saturday morning in bed until 10am to good times and "I only do that a couple times of year so that makes it OK, right?"

So, I'll be busy recovering this week with some baby swims, bikes and runs and catching up with everyone. Race season is in full affect. IM Louisville is on quick approach and I can't wait to do some serious cheerleading!

24 comments:

untpawgal02 said...

Good luck with getting acclamaited to your training again! I always hate when good trips come to an end!

IronBob said...

Damn shame God didn't make dog years the same as Human years...

Jessica said...

Aww...I hope you have many good, quality times still together!

Keith said...

Recovery weeks are my fave! And taper weeks!

That's so sad about Kasha. Our pets live such short lives. You'll know when.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

It was only about 4 years ago that my first dog, Sushi, died and it was devastating to us all! I know what you are talking about with the falling and needing to be carried.

It was just heart-breaking because she'd been so active before!

Good luck, sister! Cherish the good times you have left with Kasha!

Dave said...

Kasha looks like a good dog...a real good dog. How is my boy Magnus doing?...he makes me smile...just looking at him.

kristen said...

Sorry about your pup. Just love on her for as long as you can.

I love recovery weeks too. I'm a big believer in rest.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Sorry about Kasha... pets are parts of our lives and are family. enjoy your recovery week, I appreciate them too... just not when i'm injured, and recovery takes weeks :)

Molly said...

Awww, big hugs for you and Grandma. It's never easy to watch them age :(

Diana said...

You need to look into that velvet antler for "grandma". Seriously, either bring it up from my sidebar logo from Meadow Creek or just google it, but which ever way, look into it. Lots of people use it for their dogs-it greatly improves their joints for easier movement.

Wes said...

yea, its tough watching those we love grow old, human, dog, or otherwise. Just remember that Kasha needs dignity and respect, more than ever before. You'll know when its time.

Carolina John said...

i feel your pain. i think our dog is going to have to be put down soon too. her hips are going, she can't stand on her left hind leg anymore. she's 15 years old, and kelley got her at 8 weeks old. that was 3 years before we met. so it's a tough week here in SC too.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Poor Grandma! I'm glad she has someone as loving as you!

Runner Leana said...

Oh no, poor Kasha. I'm so sorry. We faced the same thing with our Westie Mackintosh a few years ago. He was pretty ill but he still had spring in his step, so how do you know? It turns out that yes, they do let you know.

Jo Lynn said...

That is one big-ass mountain in that photo.

Poor Grandma. I can't stand seeing them deteriorate like that. It has to kill you. We do love our furry kids though. That's what they are to us - our children. We know when we get them though, that we will probably have to bury them. That is the difference between fur and no-fur.

ShirleyPerly said...

I love recovery weeks too!

But sorry to hear Grandma is not doing well. I'm sure it is tough to see her like that but I think you'll know when it's time because you do love her so much.

Alisa said...

So sorry to hear about grandma! I can't imagine what it's going to be like to see Zoey like that...she's just over a year so we have awhile to go.

Sounds like you've gotten back into training from home. For some reason, it's so much more fun to train while on vacation!

Southbay Girl said...

I'm very sorry to hear that kasha's hips are getting worse! The love of a dog is an amazing thing! They bring such happiness and love into our lives and all they ask in return is love! Why can't humans be like this!

I hope you have many wonderful times left with her-and yes you will know when it's time!

Enjoy your time with grandma-i know she loves you!

MCM Mama said...

Poor Grandma! It's so hard when a pet ages. We have a 14 year old cat we got when we first got married who will likely not be with us many more years. It makes me so sad.

Good job getting back in the swing of things!

MoonMommy said...

We are thinking about Grandma Kashi. We need to get up and see you guys!!!

KK said...

Sorry to hear about your dog, that blows. She sounds like a gem though.

Will you be in Louisville? I can't wait to meet you when I'm there cheering on my sis!

Thanks for your advice on my last post. You're right, I just need an extended break and I'll be back at it in no time :). Sounds like your readjusted goals have done you well this summer!

P.S. I am a BIG fan of benders like the one you had.

Amanda said...

Recovery weeks are like a goft from the Gods. Take full advantage! And shutting down the pub? Life is about balance. and fun!
Sorry to hear about the pup. Just reading it made my heart break :(

Jes said...

Love the CO pics! I'm really hoping to convince the ol' ball and chain to move there when we go back to The States.

And don't worry - my kitchen floor feels like the beach, and I haven't been on vacation!!

joyRuN said...

Welcome back - sounds like you had an awesome time on vacation, with the laundry to show for it!

Sorry to hear about Kasha's physical troubles - that's gotta be hard to see :(

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!