Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Race Reports Abound

Been reading a lot of race reports from the weekend, from sprints to ironman to long distance runs. As always, some had fantastic days and some just had, days. Whenever you have a shitty race, you always come out with questions? What did I do wrong here and here and I thought I trained hard enough?! Why did my training fail me, I do this course ALL the time? Why the hell do I do this? I'm never going to win, why do I keep doing it if I'm never going to win a prize? Post race reflections are always good, always good to put it out there. Get back to the fun parts, get back to training with your friends and all will be well with the world again. And don't forget, most of the world still thinks you're insane for doing what you do...regardless of your pace or placing. They're still on the sofa eating a cheeseburger, smoking a cig and watching tv....

Just when I thought my race schedule was going to amount to TWO (or so) races this year, it looks like I'll be racing a little more than anticipated. I am very excited about the prospect. While the money diet is still in FULL affect, I'm working hard to find smaller races, sprint races, races where I can camp or sleep on a friends sofa, any kinds of races - triathlon, of course.

I am no sprinter, I like to pick a gear and roll, and roll, and roll. I equate sprint tris (and 5Ks) to short sharp pain, acute type pain and the longer stuff (half iron and greater) to a dull but constant ache. The pain and the hurtin are just totally different. The thing about sprints...they're over fairly quickly. I realize this might be the dumbest thing I've ever said...OK ONE of the dumbest but - if you go faster, you're done sooner. Simple yes, easy, not always. I think a switch went off when I did the relay with Ryan a few weeks back. Um, this is fuuun and I LIKE to race. Make no mistake, I'm not a podium girl, I don't race to win but I DO race to lay it out there...whatever I got for THAT day, THAT race and THAT time, my best for ME. I need to learn to dig deeper for the short stuff, not 'give up' on a hill and KNOW that if I move faster...I can sit down sooner. Bless it, now if I can just listen to my own daYum advise this weekend. If you're in ATL, look for me. It'll look something like this... death in a bathing suit. It will be THIS suit so yell if you see me.

In random and semi ridonkulous news...

I will never drink anything called Blue Venom again, gawd. You'd think I was trying to be 25 again. Now I KNOW why I should not drink anything called Blue Venom.

Is there anything better than clean sheet day?

I used astringent to remove my eye makeup and couldn't figure out why my eyes were burning me. Grab a bottle with no contacts and no glasses and that's what you get.

Beware of the pedi-egg OR the cheese grater for your nasty feet and callouses. That thing is so sharp and there is a reason you have callouses...soft and nice looking feet are NOT on YOUR agenda. Callouses are protecting your little paddies. Dang, I think I went a little too deep in spots..it didn't hurt, at the time.

I saw a lady in acid wash pedal pushers today and it wasn't an 80's throw back. Those pants and that hair....she's IN the 80's.

25 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I agree, After my first race, I was like "I did all that training for this?!?!" But 3 days later I was back on the bike smashing it.

IronBob said...

You know I say "I race to train" because it sounds neat, but in reality it is because I am a cheap SOB and I figure for $550, IM gives you the most bang for your buck (my first one was $32.64/hour), so that means one IM per year... that I can drive to... with cheap condos next to the course... so I can save on food.... you get the picture. What could be better.

Shannon said...

Ok is it weird that in reading "your randomness" I was praying you'd mention the Seagull Century?!?

Get off your arse and sign up sista!

ShirleyPerly said...

I SOOOOOOO agree with you on long races vs. short races. I only do the short stuff as speed work to race better long. That's the only way I can get myself to do it.

And no pedieggs for me. I couldn't run w/o my calluses.

Wes said...

LOL... In the summer, my feet dry out and crack. I have to keep putting lotion on them so they don't split, and bleed all over everything :-)

Carolina John said...

i love the sprints. you can get technical and really push yourself hard without really having to prepare for a long recovery. good luck this weekend, i'll be in the atl on monday.

TRI-james said...

I agree with IronBob – I think that I race to justify the training – otherwise I would be a nut job! And Ironman’s are cheap when you consider the training hour’s involved – cheap entertainment!

Dave said...

Missy, I am really pumped for you...think you will kick it on the race....on the callouse front....you ought to see my toenails...I think toenails are overrated...I won't wear flip flops...I don't want to see your lunch come up. ;-)

kristen said...

What's wrong with acid wash....? Ok, just kidding I wouldn't let anyone I love wear them.

Good point about the rest of the world thinks we are insane. In my social circle of athlete freinds, sometimes I feel like am the one who is behind the curve because I am not necessarily as fast as them and I am nothing necessarily special. But then I am with one of my non-athletic freinds and they are bitching about having to get up at 7 when I've been up since 4am and already burned about 600 calories. Or they want to use the elevator to go up ONE FREAKING FLIGHT. I'm like, trust me you lazy ass - you can use the exercise.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

most of the world still thinks you're insane for doing what you do ...

But ... I am insane, IO Missy! Do you doubt me? O, maybe not in the "Little people talk to me all the time sense" because - pffftt! - when dwarfs try to talk to me I just look the other way! Who do I look like? Teh 'Bride? She's the one into dwarfs!

But I am insane in that other way. The way the compels me to run, even when my very bowels are screaming at me "STOP!" (You don't even wanna KNOW how they scream.)

Plus, I'm insane in other ways too, not the least of which is my compulsion to leave comments like this one.

Mae said...

I hope acid wash woman at least had a banana clip and teased bangs to autheicate the acid wash.

Enjoy irongirl this weekend! It was going to be my first tri until I was sidelined for a friggin' surgery.

Susi said...

hey sweetpea, thanks for the comment on the blog about the race. i am feeling much better about things, as always happens when you have a few days to put the world in perspective, ha. next year will definitely be about short races and other fun things like mtn biking and trail running. for this year i'm going at IMC with an even more pollyanna attitude, haha. love the post today too!! oh, and seriously, the suit really isn't that bad.... haha

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

Egads! Acid washed pedal pushers! Good luck this weekend!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

another great post, and you're so right, i often I'm crazy, and proud to be :)

Trevor Oseen said...

Yeah, I do like my spandex... :)

Have a great day!

Diana said...

I like the short ones....for now! I'm just so damn impressed with the fact that I used to just sit my fat ass on the couch, with "regular" mt dew, some chips and/or candy watching TV wasting years of my life and now I ride my bike for 100 miles in the blessed heat! I'm happy for turning into who I am, a fan of the sprints!
Good luck on the race this weekend! Looking forward to a great report and pics!

Diana said...

OMG! Do you think Glaven will notice that I said I like the "short ones?!" LOL!

Jo Lynn said...

Mile 30 of my 50K, I said I didn't care if I never ran another mile again. I think it was that night, I was looking at a 50K for August 2nd. Instead of questioning, I try to realize what was learned. I know I'm crazy but I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Alisa said...

This is exactly why I'm worried about doing a Sprint Tri. I LOATHE 5k's b/c I'm not built for speed, I prefer 1/2 marathons =). I'm tempted to jump right into an Oly tri but everyone has said to start with a sprint. Guess we'll see how I do. I love that someone did the cost per hour of an IM! That's fantastic!

untpawgal02 said...

Good luck this weekend and keep on signing up for those races girl!

AKA Alice said...

I've been all kinds of crazy in my life. This is the best crazy I known so far.

I try to stay away from any and all blue flavored, colored, or named alcohols... There's nothing that color that should be ingested (and blueberries aren't really blue, they're purple, so they don't count!)

You are so right about the race/sprint thing.

Molly said...

I love that "the faster you go the sooner you finish" theory- I apply it to all of my races... I find that it makes it easier to speed up my run- just think "oh god, there's only one mile to go- that can be either 6 minutes or 10..."

MCM Mama said...

I feel the same way about 5Ks.

LOL at the Blue Venom. That just sounds dangerous.

KK said...

I like your conclusions about the sprints and 5ks-that's exactly what i tell myself in speed workouts.

Hilarious revelations at the end of this post.

joyRuN said...

I like the dull ache of a longer race. These 5k's BLOW.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!