Monday, June 29, 2009

Iron girl the event!


Huge shout out to Stephanie at Iron Girl - I can NOT even imagine the organized chaos that goes on for such a huge event. I think the organization did a fantastic job and the fan support rivals any of the big guys...no joke! There were cops and volunteers at every single turn (this will be important later), they cheered, they yelled, the announced everyone as they crossed the finish line, if there wasn't a 1:1 ratio volunteer to athlete, it felt like it, it was top notch. I would say if you EVER think you want to do a tri but feel intimidated (and have boobs and I don't mean moobs), an Iron Girl event might just be the ticket for you.

This was my first girlie event - here are some notable differences:

Boob talk was common and out there in the food line - she said - you have a nice dress, I said thanks, Athleta, she said, does it hold your girls in? I said yes but my girls are small. Yep, right out there in the open.

At the end of most events there are card tables and some folding chairs. This had tables, white table clothes, flowers and folding chairs.

I actually saw a woman push someone ahead of her at the finish - I don't know what transpired but she fell back and pushed her friend forward, ahead of her.

While 'against' USAT rules, a gaggle of women ran to the last finisher to 'bring her in' to the finish line. Yeah, yeah, no on course support, I get it but really?

In general, just women stuff like that. The touches were subtle but noticeable.

In my vast blogger experience, I have never met any of my out of stater fellow bloggers until Sunday. I met Chloe ...
when I heard - MISSY, HEYYYYY! as I was setting up my junk in transition. She had a present for me, niceee. I love it. My gift to her was Jack Daniels. Maybe for the ride home, of course, it's made ~30 miles from me so that was my big TN gift. I met all of her friends too. What a time. You'll have to check out her blog. I can't steal her thunder, what a race. I also got to meet Wes and Dee Dee. It was like he just appeared! I met him earlier in the morning of race day but I was so glad to see Wes and Dee Dee when I was at the starting line. I went to this event solo, Ryan usually keeps me pretty calm and centered, so having the two of them there for that final 'race start moment' really helped me. (Thanks guys!) Crap, I think he got video too. I'm sure I said something ridiculous in all my nervous chatter (shocker) PLUS I had earplugs in so I'm sure I was yelling like granny does.

Things I saw and other funny shit...

There was every kind of bike under the sun - hybrid, tt, road, mountain, all of it. The one's that get the real prize are the gals that did it on a mtb with flat pedals. HOLY CRAP! That course is NO joke, I don't know how they did it. Kudos!

At the end of the race, I saw this...not sure if you can make it out but cigarettes must be quite powerful if you finish THAT race and need to hurry up and toke one down. Dang girl, give it up. By the way, in our faux pose so we could get this shot, shout out to Rebecca who was first in W35-39...yeah, and she did a 10 mile run (at least) when it was over. Ironman Lake Placid baby.

Seemed that newbie cheerleaders weren't too fond of my cowbell. Yeah, it's really loud, I mean super duper loud, irritating...perrrrfect. The REAL cheerleaders thought it was the shiz niz and ordered 10 for various Ironman races this year. My friend is a real, honest to goodness cattle farmer. He picked up a cowbell at the co-op and didn't think it was loud enough so I got this - please note the John Deere green color for good measure.

This was one of my favs - a nice little girl was giving me advice when I was setting up my transition space. Again, I'm sure just nervous chatter. She was telling me all about how she's a 21 minute 5Ker and how she's having a hard time hitting those times after swimming and biking, sure, totally understandable. The next time I saw her, she was coming in from her bike and throwing on running shoes. I was just standing there and she looks at me - you're done?! Yes, I'm done. Bless her heart (as we say in the South), nervous chatter, I'm sure. I just had to smile.

Coming in from the bike I still had on my cycling shoes - I'm not fancy enough to get the flying dismount, shoeless thing going - was running and damn near dropped my bike. I'm sure the photographer or NBC was right there. I looked like a jackass for sure. What are ya new, c'mon lady? Yeah, that was me.

I suppose I'm long winded enough. Stay tuned for Iron Girl the race. I don't like to give all the serious junk...does anyone really care about that? Doesn't everyone just want the funny nuggets? I will, though, I will. It was a great day of racing for me.

28 comments:

Carly said...

Sounds like a really cool event. I am glad you got to meet some fellow bloggers too.

Chloe said...

Ha! Nice race report :) And I agree with all of the crazy bikes there!! Total props for anyone who can ride 18+ miles on a freaking mtn bike - on a ton of hills :)

Thanks for the sweet gift - I should have totally stuck it on my bike!!

Glad you had a good time - we need to plan another race asap!!!

TRI-james said...

I love the nervous chatter - bless her heart.

joyRuN said...

I like the funny nuggets :)

That cowbell is fierce!! I'll have to find one around here...

Chloe said...

And do add on....that cow bell is the shit! LOVE IT! Loud AND green? PERFECT!!

FLATOUT JIM said...

triathlon and Boob talk. My kind of event.

Shannon said...

Congratulations! I love the Cowbell!

Diana said...

So me and "Fred" would have fit in just fine on this event? Love it!! Kudos to all my fellow "fat tire" riders!
Jeff gives a "thumbs-up" to the John Deere cowbell!! Since he works there, we both pee and poop green and gold!

Susi said...

what a great day out there!! omg, i love that shirt. i will be goggling immediately to try and find one to order. oh and mmm, jack... me and jack go waaaaay back. :)

great job!! so funny about the youngin shocked you were done... bless her heart indeed. lol

Marcy said...

HAHAHHAAA Yeah baby! Nothing like showing the tots how it's done ;-)

You crack me up with the pics. Seriously now, that's freakin crazy! Cigs after a race? Ok then . . .

Tilghman Carroll said...

Woo hoo, way to go...you rocked that race, #9, dang girl!

Can't wait to start speed sessions with ya so I can get super fast!

Wes said...

LOL... I was looking for you, and you kind of jumped out in 3-D. That was one helluva bathing suit :-)

but really, you were fine at the swim start, all calm cool and collected on the outside!

Dee Dee and I enjoyed meeting you!! Glad you had a great race.

Vickie said...

Sounds like it was a lot of fun! And always fun meeting up with fellow bloggers! Can't wait for the "real" story.

Shazza said...

That race sounds like it was a lot of fun. I talk about boobs all the time anyway, so I would have fitted right in. SO glad I'm not going to be doing my race on a mountain bike!

I love love love that T-shirt. And if we ever meet, I'll bring you a real Swiss cowbell to accompany your groovy green one.

Keith said...

You - long winded??? Say it's not so! The funny nuggets and serious junk is all good, the way you say it.

kristen said...

More cowbell!!!

Sounds like a aweseome race. I'm glad things worked out despite the issues the day before.

What's up with the smoker? Weird! Give it up sister.

IronBob said...

Looks like you had fun. The Ironman doing the IronGirl (sounds illegal)

Arnie always gets his Copenhagen out after our rides (at least there is no smoke involved). I find it humorous, especially since he usually is stronger on the rides.

Wicked Fun said...

Hey Missy, It's Missy:) It was great meeting you yesterday. Isn't Iron Girl one of the most WICKED FUN events to share with friends?! We had a great time and can't wait for next years race.

I heard that there are some people looking for my shirts and I would love for them to email me so I can help them get one. My email is a.terry@mchsi.com We'll get them up on a site very soon, but in the meantime I'll keep it simple and do what I can.

P.S. I love your blog and will be a fellow blogger to you from now on. Well, as soon as I learn how to do it; you'll be my first blog experience.

Steve Stenzel said...

Sounds like a blast! And that's a HELL of a cowbell!! NICE!! Ha!

Molly said...

That is some serious cowbell!

Congrats on your great finish and coming home with so many good stories for us :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Great review of the event! I really wish I lived in a climate that would have more event like this (maybe even year round) and would allow me to train year round without having to put my bike on a trainer or run in snow and ice. oh well. Your description of the bikes reminds me of the variety of bikes in my clinic too!

Alisa said...

Sounds like tons of fun!

Gross smoker-YUCK!

That shirt is awesome...love it!

Amy said...

Love, love, love the shirt (and Chloe) and your report on the envet. What a hoot!

MCM Mama said...

LOVE that cowbell. I'm so going to hit the John Deere store tomorrow. (Yes, I'm in rural WI and there is a JD store just down the road LOL).

Sounds like an awesome event. Maybe I'll get brave enough to try that one of these days.

Runner Leana said...

Sounds like a great experience! Haha, cannot believe the lady going for a smoke after the race. Ugh...

ShirleyPerly said...

I can't believe that woman was smoking! I've never seen that at a race. Then again, I've never done an all women's event before where one might see some strange things. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Well hell, I might do both the GA and the MD one next year! Everyone I know said it was a great event.
I'm glad you had a good time. The first day sounded a little bit trying...

Beth said...

Great race report! Iron Girl was my first tri and although the swim was a bit scary, I really enjoyed it! BTW, the pic of the chick smoking is priceless. Congrats on your race!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!