Saturday, June 27, 2009

Hot as Hades!

So far, everything has been a cluster since I checked in. I'm terribly hopeful that race day will prove to be better. The short version - after checking in, getting my chip, numbers etc. I was going to take my bike to transition. I asked 'a guy' (I think he was part of the resort, not part of the tri event) where bike check in was with my bike and backpack in hand. He said - over there, follow the campground signs. OK. I start walking, walking, walking. I am sweating from every pore. I look like I just ran. At the point of no return, I just kept walking and hoping that I could get a ride back to my car. A very nice gal picked me up in her truck for the last .5 mile - it was at least 3 miles total, one way. I get to bike check in after thanking her profusely. You need your bike number ON your bike. WHAT? My number is back at my car, at the Lodge (I intended to put it on in the morning). Seriously, I have this wrist band on with my number, does that count for anything? No, I'm sorry, got to have your bike number on the bike. Step in nice dad taking daughter to her first tri - I will drive you back. I could have kissed the man. I was hot, pissed and sweating like a hog. They drove me back to my car which I drove BACK to the bike transition, numbered it, hung it on the rack and got out of there. I was going to change and swim but it was 'locked out.' If anyone made there way to the swim course, I don't know how - unless they paid the entry fee for the day. EFFE it, I left. I didn't swim, bike or run or even preview the course. It'll be all new to me tomorrow.

The terrain is mostly what I expected except for the 10% grade at the swim exit to get TO your bike. I see that the high for tomorrow is a cool 96. Thank GAWD I'm in the first wave and start at 7:00! I will be getting there at the crack ass of dawn so I can see if my gears work 'and stuff.' I'm just hoping that my goals are not too ambitious.

The atmosphere is totally different since it's an all woman's event. There is a lot of nervous chatter since there are many newbies. Bikes from TT to hybrid to mountain bikes, across the board. It's good to see new chickies trying it out, what a perfect way to see if it's your thing. You don't have to worry about anything, or feel like you're going to embarrass yourself or whatever - WHO CARES. Get out there and finish it! It will be a great day. I think I'm more excited to see people doing their first than I am of doing my ???? tri.

We'll holler back at ya on the flip side! This race might just be puke worthy - hot, short and fast...or some combination of the three!

11 comments:

Dave said...

can only imagine the chatter...like running an ultra with Shanna Armstrong...or so I hear...;-)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i can't wait!! Good luck tomorrow, hope it's cool in the morning for ya, and that the confusion/frustration was today only. Looking forward to your race report!!

Jill said...

Your info confirms what I thought. The founder of the Iron Girls thing is not very organized or into details...much like her past venture of run stores way back in the 70's. Whew. Good thing you are not a newbie...after all that I would've been PO'd also.

Either way, run hard...bring out that Mach Tenn speed and lay it down.

Susi said...

bummer about all the shite you had to deal with today, but that must mean that you are going to rock tomorrow. kinda like rain on a wedding day ya know? have a blast out there!!!

Jo Lynn said...

I bet it's going to be a ton of fun. Starting early, does that mean you'll get to hang out and watch some newbies come in? That's what I love to see. Good luck. ;)

Ron said...

sounds like perfect conditions for a PR....Good Luck!

Diana said...

96 degrees? UGH!!
Best of luck, glad to hear there are others who choose the "fat" tires!

untpawgal02 said...

Sounds like one heck of adventure already... have a good one and stay cool!

TRI-james said...

Good luck at the race.

Shannon said...

I can't imagine that heat...

You're gonna look like a hott mess when you cross that finish line...(just the way I like it)

joyRuN said...

Can't wait to hear how you do!

I have a mountain bike that I drag around - there must be somewhat to retrofit the thing to be more suitable on the road, no?

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!