Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baby brick and a life vest!

So I'm trying to get accustomed to this new work schedule. I have to say, having Wednesday off was a treat. Besides doing some chores and a doc appointment, I got in a baby brick - 20 mile ride on my TT bike and a three mile run (slow). Ended up at a local pub in the afternoon so it all can't be bad.

This is the END of the day...Dan McGuinness Irish Pub

Anyway, this was my first ride on my TT bike since Nov. 1, 2008 (IMFLA)- trusty steed took me 112 miles and has been hanging on the wall ever since. I've been enjoying my road bike and roadie friends too much to bust out that TT 'thing.' Wednesday was a perfect day to test it out, SOLO. I didn't light the world on fir-ah but it did remind me of a few things - road bike and TT bike ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL in oh so many ways. All new rub spots and pinch points - road bike, sit on arse bones, TT bike sit on cooter bones. Yep, like sitting on bare metal rails. My neck is also, apparently, weak. I'm trying to get better at looking over the top of my glasses when I'm all crouched down like that and not crane my neck. I look like a tarded turtle out there with my giraffe like neck all stretched out. All in all a great ride but glad I was alone. Got to work on my TT bike handling skills, forgot that it's about as nimble as an A1 Hummer.

Started our new and improved swim practice - OUTSIDE. Eat it all yous that live in warm places and can swim outside year round. It totally rocks. I know now what you speak of - when you go to breathe and see the water slide, there's just something that screams - THIS IS FUN! They wouldn't let us on the water slide, bastards.

In Grandma (aka Kasha) news...
After our swim last Sunday, I was a little concerned about her ability to get TO the water and then her ability to keep on paddling. She's old, what can ya do. Solution, life vest! As you can see, she's totally excited about the prospect. When I put it on her to fit it, I think I heard - Effe YOU, this is humiliating. I know how to swim you stupid biatch. Don't make me look like a handidog for Christ's sake. Tough shit Grandma, it's on and you'll like it. If I can just get her to associate the vest with swimming at the lake, we'll be just fine.

Her ears were pinned to her head and she was pissssed. She wouldn't talk to me for at least an hour.


27 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

Cooter bones? OMG - yet ANOTHER thing I've learned about from you. And can I just say, you're not making me want to give up my road bike any time soon!

joyRuN said...

Swimming outside in a pool - I can do that. But when you take the chlorine & lanes away, noooo thanks. I'm a TOTAL chickenshit in open water.

You're right. Grandma looks quite unhappy with her new accessory!

kristen said...

Lucky bitch with the outdoor pool. rub it in. Looks beautiful. No outdoor pool for me, but outdoor swims soon ;)

FLATOUT JIM said...

That pool looks so nice. Bet it's not 14 deg C.

Chloe said...

Ahh...the perks of living in Florida :) But I did put my time in swimming inside for years...breathing that chlorine air..yummm. Glad you are out in the sunshine now! Screw the man - go down the slide!

Glad you and your tri bike had some quality time together. Cooter bones and all.

Oh..as soon as your dog gets into the water - she'll forgive!

Carolina John said...

i've been wanting a TT bike lately. just for the frame geometry. i'm also afraid i'm turning into a bike geek.

Kim said...

i am SO jealous you can swim in an outdoor pool!!!! and that you wound up at an irish pub! gimme a guinness stat please!

grandma is pisssssed but i think she looks cute!

Keith said...

Outdoor pools are mostly theoretical here. And for the few weeks they aren't, they are all kids all the time.

Hint for the glasses thing. Get a lanyard or whatever it's called to hold your glasses snugged up against your eyebrows. I found I was giving myself headaches trying to do the nose scrunch thing to be able to see. Having the lanyard do all the work makes a world of difference.

A doggie life vest. If you hadn't included a photo I flat out wouldn't have believed you. Whoever would have thought of such a thing?

Tilghman Carroll said...

Cash has a life vest too, they're not just for the old and feeble, but for the young and gay as well. It has saved his life on many a canoe trip.

Yeah, did you see the size of the water slide? My arse would get caught in that thing and they'd have to bring the jaws of life out to save me.

Hmmm, after reading this my va-jay-jay isn't too sure about me buying a tri bike...

IronBob said...

I think your dog is fine with the vest and is just camera shy.

We are lucky with our outdoor year round swimming :) Too bad my scheduled swim training will only use it 7 or 8 times in prep. this year.

Jo Lynn said...

Cootie bone? Handidog? LOL Two new words for me!

Thanks for your very nice support. ;)

Vincent said...

we swim outdoors year round here in Vancouver, but its definitely not always hot out

http://vincentramblings.blogspot.com/2009/02/sticky-wet-snow.html

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Poor handidog! Why not just make her wear a "special" helmet while you're at it?

When my last dog was getting old, it was heartbreaking that she couldn't do a lot of the things she used to do easily.

Good on you for making things possible for your dog.

Al's CL Reviews said...

The pics of Grandma are great!

AKA Alice said...

I don't know shiz about dogs, but I agree, that is one unhappy looking pup!

LOL at Cooter Bones. I'd never even thought of calling them THAT.

Benson said...

Life vest...humiliating.
Outdoor pool...you're so lucky.
Ending the day at a pub...PRICELESS!

ShirleyPerly said...

Arse vs. cooter bones -- so TRUE!!

How humiliating for Grandma to have to wear a life vest but I think it's a great idea. And now she can probably save others again too.

Nikemom said...

I hear ya - cooter vs. arse. I'm going to go with sticking to the arse bones. :D

Jenna said...

cooter bones...lmao - here we call it a smashed banana ...lol. It is all the same - damn uncomfortable til you break it all in again!!!
Dog photos ..hil.ar.i.ous!

aron said...

omgosh how cute is the life vest :) haha. she doesnt look happy! i need to get my girls to the lake SOON!! they love to swim, esp the lab :)

Runner Leana said...

Aw, someone does not look happy! If the lifevest gives you piece of mind it is definitely worth it though.

Love the swimsuit Missy! Where did you get it from?

Molly said...

OMG. I so feel you on the saddle soreness. I'm starting to think I'm just going to feel *this* until IM is done in November!

And I LOL'ed at "Tough shit Grandma, it's on and you'll like it." Oh how many times have I said something similar to my dogs (like "Life's a bitch, and so am I"). She'll get over it when she finds out it's for swimming!

Wes said...

ROFL... Oh that's embarrassing, poor thing :-D

Dave said...

Alright...zoom on the pub pic and look at that creepy guy eyeballing you...heck, he is creeping me out...

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i didn't realize there was such a difference between the two types of bikes. i'd love to be able to swim outdoor year round, i think that's why i have a hard time even hitting the indoor pool during winter, too cold after swimming driving home :)

Southbay Girl said...

OMG...poor grandma...I have so seen that face from velcro! I am laughing!!

our only community pool is an outdoor pool-yeah that I can use all year long...no I'm not rubbing it in because you can so kick my breaststroking ass at swimming!

Beer sounds good! Just got back from my breaststroke swim session and now I must now go out for a short run! Ciao!

Jill said...

Yes, that outdoor pool was fine...wasn't it? Can't we convince Ash to let us do that every day?? And maybe we can start our warm up by sliding in.. he he.

The doggie is cute with the vest even if she is pissed off. I once put boots on my lab when he went outside b/c he got too muddy! Cutest picture ever!!

Ok, see you at Mach Tenn. If I don't do well, my excuse is nervous tummy...I bailed swim class after 600 this morning instead of dropping a load in the pool...ugh.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!