I find it easier to skip a three mile run or a short 15 mile bike BUT Saturday was my day to embrace 'the value of small.' In these here parts (Tennessee), we're floating away. Rain, rain and when it's done more rain. I hate the suckmill and the trainer. I will chance a wet run rather than get on that dreaded piece of equipment. I will skip a ride rather than get on a trainer (not a good attitude). Saturday, I decided that a short 3 miler with big Magnus was in order. He will keep my pace (very) slow. We dodged some puddles and peed on every bush - well, he did the peeing, I can actually hold it for 3 miles. We had fun, no worries, and he proceeded to pass out. Time to dig into household chores, with all the rain, a bike ride is out of the question. OR is it? RH was watching the radar like he watches a race (ALMS, F1, not tri) and then I hear it - LET'S GO, WE HAVE A WINDOW, WE HAVE A WINDOW (of no rain). Oh no, I had resolved myself to NO ride and was moving about my day. I was actually, mad about this prospect... Seriously, a WINDOW. YES! We can get in ~15 miles, let's hurry, go out and hammer it, hammer the hills and hurry back. After much whining and protest, by me, I went. In my heart, all the while thinking - is it worth this effort for 15 miles, seriously? I'm going to have to clean my bike when it's over and it will take LONGER than the freakin ride. Fine, fine, fine. If we're going, then you're pulling and I'm drafting your arse the whole way, pull me up those hills. Sure, he says.
I am stuck to him like glue. He said he wasn't sandbaggin, just working it through at a quick and consistent pace. Mmm, curious, I'm not usually stuck to his wheel like this. At one point, he said - what's up with your climbing today? I said - I thought I was doing pretty well. His response - exactly. What does that say about my mad climbing skillz? LSS, we did it, a hard, fast, hilly 15ish mile effort, some sprinkle and lots of water.
Retrospect - I'm so very glad I did both - short slow run and a short fast bike. It's my first step in breaking my 'long course' frame of mind...for this year, at least!
P.S. Swiftwick socks are the shiz niz - seriously, don't care if I ever have another workout sock again. I'm not a big product plugger and they haven't given me anything for free. During our ride I could feel water running down the back of my leg into my shoe. But my feet did not FEEL wet - I knew they were but the feeling was of dryness. Helluva sock, try a pair if you're in the market.
Responses to my Crazy 8's Tag ... if you care...
8 things I'm looking forward to:
- Swim party tonite where I get to see people in something other than a Speedo.
- Dry weather
- Vacation in Crested Butte, Colorado
- A nap this afternoon
- Clean sheet day - is there anything better than clean sheets with lots of fabric softener?
- Doing a relay with Ryan some time this year.
- Having a girls weekend at my place (RH is out of town!).
- Meeting Penny - she's coming to Nashvegas in a few weeks.
- Ran with Magnus man
- Rode a bike - lovin my road bike right now, poor TT bike is sitting like it's up on blocks, I had to actually dust it off, sad.
- Cleaned out my closet - why do I keep shoe boxes? I threw away at least five empty shoe boxes, do I think I'm going to return them, weird.
- Celebrated a birthday - let's hear it for 3-7!
- Watched the Kentucky Derby - wow, the owner and rider were HUGE rednecks, got to love that story.
- Drank cocktails at MY bar - we have a bar in our living room. Who needs a living room?
- Blogland catchup
- Train full time.
- Climb Grand Teton (wish)
- Go drinking with Chloe and Kristen.
- Retire right now - I have plenty I could do to fill my time, thanks.
- Train like Marit.
- Run with JoLynn and Boomer.
- Have my mom back.
- Go to Canada and workout with all those crazies up there - freezing lakes and 30F bike rides, all new meaning to HARD CORE.
- Losing my dad
- Being an orphan - small family, only child and only Dad is left of my immediate fam.
- Swimming into a dead body or dead fish in open water.
- Getting injured and being sidelined for an extended period of time.
- My 37 birthday this year - so much closer to 40 and don't tell me 40 is the new 30.
- Coming face to face with someone other than RH in the house in the middle of the nite.