Tuesday, May 5, 2009

'A' Race for 2009 is.....


....Yep, Beach2Battleship HALF IRON distance triathlon is going to be my A race for 2009. This is exciting for so many reasons. Quite frankly, I'm jazzed about 12-15 hour training weeks yep, you heard me right. 12-15 is NOT a part time job...22 hours of training/week is a daYUM part time job, I tell ya! So there it is. Now you get to listen to me obsess about training for the next 27 weeks. Yes, I'm an A type freak (like most of you whack jobs) and I have it timed out for 27 weeks until race day people. I'll have to throw some other shiz in this year for good measure but this is going to be the big one.

Please let me know if you'll be there too. I know Carolina John and Ryan (imabigfastmofer) will both be there for the half and full, respectively. I have high hopes and dreams for this race. It'll be my fifth at this distance. I've learned so much along the way but most of all - have fun!

Vineman 70.3 in 2007 was my first ever halfim - what a race, highly recommend. I swear, you would have thought I was on a Sunday ride out in the country side. It was great. It was on that day and that finish that I knew Ironman was in my future. It was that day that my friend (and racing partner) asked me the proverbial question as soon as I crossed the finish line....

So, do you want to turn around and do that again?
Give me a minute, I think I'm going to puke in my shoes. Oh, need ice, lots of ice, there are wasps in those vineyards and they got me!
10 minutes pass, ankle swells to the size of a softball.
Yes, yes, I do, I do want to turn around and do THAT all over again. It was great.

...and so, the love of long distance began.

My big season opener will be cheering/volunteering at Ironman Louisville (I like to call it IMKY just because I can, makes it sound slipperier). It looks something like this...
That's me on the left with the purple hair and pink bathing suit circa 1960. This will be my uniform so be sure to look for me in IMKY this year! You won't miss us, I PROMISE.

In other news...
Is there anything like the sound of water hitting water at 2:00am? ...and I don't mean after a long nite at the bar. Poor RH kept walking around the house after dinner out (I didn't poison him the restaurant did) saying - I think I have the swine flu, I don't feel good. In bed at, 9pm on a Saturday. That is my bed time, not his. At 2:00am, I'm sitting straight up and I hear, water on water and some feeble cursing. Poor guy, he can not afford to lose any weight. Ate his first solids on Monday nite, I hope this sticks! We got some ridin to do!

32 comments:

Chloe said...

Ahh! That sounds like such a fun! I've heard nothing but awesome things about that race! But I'll be giving out red cards on the IMFL that day :)

Carly said...

Sounds like a great A race that will not completely run all your friends off because of an insane training schedule.

I hope you guys are feeling better.

Shannon said...

I DID that race last year, well I was in a relay and we placed but who's mentioning that. I sure hope they worked out all the logistics from last year, the race overall was put together well by setup.

I hope hubby feels better soon, WE HAVE TO START TRAINING SOON!

Calyx Meredith said...

Hey - My partner and I are doing the B2B as our first half! Here's a website started by Nancy Toby (I think) for folks doing this race. It hasn't been too active yet, but I expect there will be more posting as we get closer in. I'm nervous but pretty darn excited about this race - so cool that you'll be doing it too!

Diana said...

At first I'm trying to figure out WTF is water hitting water....duh, what a frickin' 'tarded blond I am....even with the gallbladder trouble, I should have gotten it way sooner! Funny shit!
Looks like a great race coming up and look forward to all 27 weeks of reports!

FLATOUT JIM said...

You did the whole thing backwards. You do the Ironman first, that way a 70.3 or half is only easy.

Dave said...

"from Missy..."I'm an A type Freak (like most of you whack jobs")

Funny you say that...Mark and I talked about that this weekend on our long run...Think I may have to blog about it. I will probably title the post, "I GOT ISSUES, LEAVE ME ALONE"...;-)

look forward to hearing about the training...I get in the pool mananna...0530!

Marcy said...

Oooohh there are a bunch of peeps doing B2B. I can't think of them off the top of my head (what a help I am HAHA) but you guys are definitely not the only ones around here. You crazy mf-ers LOL

Ryan said...

I want a big slap on the ass when I run past in my all white race kit in Louisville.

Its kind of a fantasy thing I've had for a while now :-0

Wes said...

LOL@Diane... Funny shit indeed... Hope he feels better soon! I thought about B2B, but alas, it is outside my zone for being "local" this year and its to damn cold there in November :-)

Melanie said...

looking forward to watching your journey there -- all 27 weeks! :D

Carolina John said...

sweet!! I can't wait. We're going to have a blast.

hope ryan feels better soon.

Cfoam4me said...

Hmmm, my parents have a condo there, I think we may just have to come down and cheer you on!

kristen said...

What! What! Sounds like a great time. Sometimes I wish I was more of a triathlete becasue doing an event like that sounds like fun. I love that you have your training schedule for the next 7 years or some crazy shit like that - becuase you know what. So do I.

I am super excited to hear about your crazy training experiences.

Sorry about the hubbs. Hope he feels better.

Keith said...

I showed the picture to my wife, as an example of an IM cheering squad. Her reaction? "In their wetsuits??!! Aren't they sweating to death?" That was after she recovered from the stunned disbelief.

Looking forward to hearing about your training, and whatever else you get up to! Hope that Mr. Missy is better soon.

And the word verification is "ouggo". No kidding.

TRI-james said...

I tend to call it IMKY also!

IronBob said...

Slap Ryan on the ass for me too. Based on his results this weekend, I think the extra 2 seconds he might pick up will help.
Is he a machine or what?
To bad 1/2 doesn't go with full at B2B, you could surf behind his wake.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

So if you're a half iron man and Carolina Cletus is, too, then if you two got together and had a baby - meaning you'd have to have SEX with him - would the resulting demon child be a FULL Iron Man?

I don't really care what the answer is - I just wanted to plant the image of you having sex with Cletus in your brain so you'd vomit, too, and then Ryan wouldn't feel so alone.

Because it could never happen since Car. Cletus isn't interested in women.

He's a proud goat-f*cker.

I'm just sayin', not judgin'.

The Running Girl said...

Congrats on deciding on your A race this year! I was just telling someone the other day that I really love the HIM distance. And after I finished my first, I thought "I know I want to do a full IM one day". Hopefully that day is getting closer.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I have look at that race alot lately, maybe on next years race schedule.

OK i have to go back to sleep at my desk if I want to stay up tonight, it better not go into 3 OT's again.

Molly said...

Exciting!!! I know a lot of people doing that race, sounds like it will be fun!!!

Runner Leana said...

You've got your A race...awesome!! Can't wait to follow along.

Hope the hubs is feeling better soon!

Susi said...

YAY for the A race!! Look forward to reading the training stories.

Love the purple hair by the way...mine used to be dyed that colour back in the day.

Oh, and I am not a type A, i'm a type B+. Least that's what the test said.... LOL.

Sorry about the man peeing from his butt...hope he feels better soon!!

Tyger Lily said...

Hey Missy! I've been lurking awhile and love your blog. I came over from either Glaven's or Marcy's blog. Anywho, I am doing B2B and it's my first 1/2 iron ever! Hope I get to meet all you bloggers that I stalk! LOL

Sherry said...

Yay, for you! My hubby and I definitely hope to do B2B someday as well. I've read awesome things about it.

I actually 'just' (like 2 days ago) signed us up for our very first HIM (Augusta 70.3). We're excited and I can also feel the long distance bug biting. :o)

Amy said...

Yeah, I can't wait to see you out there!!!! (Assuming I make it there myself.) Love the outfit.

Can't wait to hear about your training too.

joyRuN said...

Wasps aside, that does sound good. Fun, too!

Yucko on the watery diarrhea :-(

Jo Lynn said...

I can't imagine 27 weeks of preparation for ONE event. I'd go bonkers. Am I mistaken when I say I thought you were going to do some kind of trail run this year? 27 weeks? Really? Oh man!

I hope your hubby doesn't stay sick too long. :(

ShirleyPerly said...

Terrific! I'm signed up for the B2B iron distance and will see you there. There's a B2B blog that you might be interested in:

http://beach2b.blogspot.com/

Not much happening yet but toward the end of the year I'm sure it will pick up. Good luck in training!!

Southbay Girl said...

I want to continue Jo Lynn's comment-what happened to a trail race?

I don't know how you find the time in a day and/or week to train for a half or full iron man! I don't think there would be enough hours in my day!

Carlee said...

Looks like a great race. I defintiely can't wait to try a 70.3someday. I hope hubby feels better if its the same bug I started at my school it's a nasty one!

aron said...

that will be so fun :) cant wait to follow along!!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!