Monday, May 11, 2009

An 'incidental triathlon'

Totals for the week of 5/3/09 - they're not terribly impressive so try to contain yourself...

Swim - x3 - 9500 meters - about half as much as a month ago!
Bike - x2 - 50 miles
Run x 3 - 12 miles
Weights x2 - a gagillion lbs to keep up my killer guns - no, not really.

While, it's not a lot in the big scheme, I'm working on speed and building my run base back up. I'm pretty happy with the 'turn out' in terms of effort and speed.

Saturday I planned on an indoor aquathon. After my skipped swim on Friday morning (see previous post), I'm keen on making it up. Pack a bag, go to the pool, get in some metres (for all my Canadian friends) and change into some run clothes for the SUCKMILL. I haaate that thing but it was the only way it was going to happen - it's just plain old soggy around here. BUT, when I saw an angel fly out of the guys butt in front of me, I knew something grrreat was going to happen....once again, I get a message - we have a window, dry in about an hour. I turn up the suckmill pace so I can get in a fast 3 miler and get home to ride. My aquathon turned triathlon as I got home and changed clothes for our ride. 'Round these parts, you got to take the opportunities when they present themselves. You can't have a nice workout plan all laid out in front of you. You have to seize every outdoor moment possible while dodging rain, thunderstorms and tornadoes.

At the half way mark of our ride, Ryan yells back - what's our average? (He's a minimalist on the bike, no computer, no HRM, nothing other than a repair kit). I yell - 20.2mph. He yells - oh shit! Yep, the wind had been at our back and we were (happily) taking advantage of it. You know how this story ends, as we turn into the headwind, blasted! The kicker, five miles from home I yell - I'm spent, you gotta pull me home and we better make 18mph or I'm gonna be pissed. Now get me up this hill! The hill climbing machine pulled me up and got me, er, us home right on que. Kicked my arse but it was the good kind.

In other news...
Not so funny mom stories for Monday
Mother's Day is hard. I don't have a mom any longer and I'm not a mom. Mostly, I just try to let the day pass. The kid at the drug store says - happy mother's day. I almost said, EFFE you, without even thinking. You'd think I'd be used to it by now but I'm not. I woke up on mother's day in a bitter mood. I was a little mean to RH but I think he understands why I was being a crank. Usually on mother's day, I race or it's a race weekend. It allows me to run away from my bitterness, anger and sadness. I can race, play and pretend I'm on vacation away from the reality. This year, it was not to be. You can't escape all the time. You'd think that after 10 years, I wouldn't be so mad but I am. Mad that I had to shop for a wedding dress by myself, mad that I feel like I have to run away on Mother's Day, mad that I can't get a big, squishy mom hug, mad that, well, just mad and sad that she's not here. She would have liked to go to brunch today too. I'm not usually a bitter or mad type of person, sorry to be a downer. Sometimes, it just blows. We still had more stuff to do. Love you mom!




29 comments:

Diana said...

Blows not having a Mom.....I agree.

MCM Mama said...

Mother's day is my least favorite holiday. Let's celebrate the women who have moms or children or both, while making the entire rest of the female population feel like shit. Great holiday. {{{HUGS}}}

Good job on the mini triathlon. I'm tired just reading about it.

Bill said...

Sorry to read the end of your post. I only hope my Mother's Day post did not cause you additional sorrow.

I relate to your story about realizing you are with the wind on the outbound. I've done that way too many times. Always an oops moment.

Dave said...

Missy, believe it or not...sometimes I just don't have the words. I hope your week gets better...I understand how that it can suck!

TRI-james said...

Yeah - I feel that this special holiday has been taken from me also - I went for a 10 mile unplanned run - it only helped while I ran.

Marcy said...

You had such an amazing relationship with your Moms, I think that's fabulous. I'm sorry that Mom's Day is suckage :-(

IronBob said...

Sorry you were feeling down yesterday.
BUT,
You are the MOTHER of all Franklin Ironwomen, aren't you??

Jen said...

Mom's day is just another Hallmark Holiday, girl. Don't let it dictate your emotions. You loved your mom the same everyday and that is special.

Tyger Lily said...

Sorry that Mom's day sucks for you! Sounds like you had a great relationship with her.

On the biking note, come to New Mexico. We have heads winds out AND coming back! Welcome to the Land of Enchantment!

Al's CL Reviews said...

I agree MD is the suckage of Holiday's.

Think of what an amazing mom she taught you to be to your furbabies.
(yeah, it doesn't really make it better).

The day is done, and your tir-Saturday sounded terrific.

Where do I get one of those hill pullers? LOL!

MJ said...

My mom died three years ago (on the 7th of may) so I can relate to that feeling of losing someone too early - it's not a good one.

You do a great job of honoring her memory with the stories you've told and the great picture that always accompanies it.

I should try to do better at that type of thing - not necessarily on my blog but just in life....

Carly said...

Your thoughts on Mother's Day brought tears to my eyes. I hope I have the kind of relationship with my daughter as you had with your mother. It sounds like you had an awesome relationship.

(hugs)

I am also writing to tell you you won the greek seasoning and if you email me your address, I will get it sent out. fatrunnergirl@yahoo.com

Jill said...

UGh...first the hard stuff. I heard the mom discussion yesterday. And, since I still do have a mom but barely a relationship - I made the call. Because you made me think...one day, I may not be able to have her to call. So, thanks for talking about it to others and making me realize at least I get a choice. I will try not to take her for granted.

Looks like all us drowning rats in TN had incidental triathlons this weekend. Mine was yesterday, bike, swim, run. The run kicked my arse...

And, yea, on Mother's Day, you can have a pass to be a complete crank...and nobody would ever say a word to you. If they do...I'll beat them up..how's that?

Kim said...

first, amazing job with the lil ole mock triathlon!

second, your mom is gorgeous. like movie star gorgeous. im sorry you had a tough day yesterday - totally understandable.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Honoring one's mother is not bullsh*t, but Mother's Day is a truly bullsh*t Hallmark Holiday that really benefits no one but the corporations who make money off of it by guilting people into buying cards, flowers or candies for their Moms.

Even the woman who started the modern Mother's Day ended up decrying its commercialization.

Don't let the stupid, fake DAY get you down. Use that emotional energy to think about and honor your own mother in your own real, truly-felt way, sister.

untpawgal02 said...

Well... at least you had the wind in one direction... to bad it wasn't going back!

Wes said...

I love that... You make Ryan pull and set a good pace :-) Well done!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Great job taking advantage of the break in weather to get your ride in. And I'm so sorry for your sadness on mother's day.

Jo Lynn said...

You don't have to apologize for "being a downer." This is your place to "say" what you want. I can't relate to your sadness, thank God, but I can feel for you. I'm sorry you were sad yesterday. And that is stupid of the kid to say that to you. Very lame!

Vickie said...

Yeah, my mom has been gone now for 8 years. I am a mom but still couldn't help but notice everywhere I went someone would say happy mothers' day, ASSUMING I was a mom. I blanked out and just said yeah, thanks same to you--to a young kid! Ooops!

kristen said...

Your mom is beautifull. Sorry about your day. That's why I never say it to random women. You never know what they are dealing with. Your a very strong person.

Great job on your little tri.

buprunner said...

M-girl, my mom moved to heaven 22 years ago, I was 20. Like you, I miss her EVERYday. Big breath. You just gotta close your eyes, remember her arms wrapped around you, breath in her smell and feel her warmth, and she's with you sista. I can tell she raised you to be strong.

I became a mom in my late 30's, but was a mom long before that. Get it? If not, think about all the stuff you've done in your mothers absence.

And, I'll make sure I watch the guys butts at my gym to see what else fly's out....errrr, maybe not!! LMAO!! I'll just watch their butts!

Ryan said...

Sorry about your cranky day :-(

But, you got to tell a kid to Effe You and that is always a great time!

ShirleyPerly said...

Way to get all 3 sports in!

Sorry Mother's Day was tough on you. That's a lovely photo of her, though.

Runner Leana said...

Good job on the workout this weekend - swim, run and kicker bike.

I'm so sorry. I can understand that Mother's Day would be hard.

Today someone wished me a belated happy Mother's Day. Er...um...thanks...but not married and no kids unless you count my little furball.

Southbay Girl said...

Missy, Your mother is beautiful!!! I am so sorry she is no longer with you! There are no words that can take away that sadness, bitterness, anger-all are allowed!!! Now maybe in hindsight I should slap myself for sending you a Doggie mother's day wish!!

Don't ever apologize for venting and telling it like it is! I do that all the time-hey wait-so do you!!!

You are not judged at all here! As a matter of fact, I love the honesty!

And here's one for you...I am a mother and did I get a call, card, email, wink, nod anything from my son????? HELL NO! I didn't even get a phone call! So my mother's day wasn't great! So screw you Happy Mother's Day peeps! Let me tell you I heard enough from all the men I work with about what they were doing for their wives, what they were buying...etc etc etc...BITE ME! I don't have that, nor did I have that!

Sorry....had a beer and now I'm ranting....

Shazza said...

That is a beautiful picture. I'm so sorry you've lost your beautiful mum. I feel a bit the same on Father's day. Hope you're not feeling too down and the week gets better for you.

Sherry said...

What a beautiful picture of your mom. I understand your pain... I go through it every year, but on Father's day. Hugs to you!

Awesome training weekend!

joyRuN said...

{{{hugs}}}, chick.

As much as I can celebrate being a mom now, not having mine, especially through life's milestones, truly sucked.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!