Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bad Blogger, Bad Blogger Friend!

I have been told by more than one person that I have been a bad blogger friend lately. I was really on a daily roll for the longest time and it seems I have fallen apart a bit. I will try to be a better friend. It seems that once I get to the weekend, I fall apart. I get caught up in all my own training and life happenings that I let 'this' go. This may not be great, funny or particularly inspirational today but....

Lake swimming has started and you know what that means, besides funky skin rashes, dead fish, dodging boats, and mooning unsuspecting boaters as we change our clothes in the marina parking lot...Grandma (aka Kasha) gets to go swimming too. If you've never seen a 13 year old Boxer, here you go. If you never seen a Boxer that likes to swim, here you go. See, Boxers aren't particularly fond of water or swimming. Grandma has always liked it, even a spry pup. Boxers aren't known for their longevity either so 13 is ancient. Her hips aren't the greatest and she didn't manage the rocks very well getting down to the water. Grandma bit it a couple of times. She's tough as nails, though and just pulls those blasted hind legs back up. After our 'lap', she gets her turn. I've even noticed her slowing down in 09 compared to 08. Last year, you may recall, her job was to save the swimmers that were sure to drown. These are all from 2008....


She took her job very seriously back then, as you can see. One more swimmer saved, my job here is done. Probably scared the shit out of that poor guy wondering what theee hell was swimming at him.

These are from today, 2009...


As you can see, not so much action as before. Rather than swim, we did this physical therapy/water treadmill thing. I'd just hold her in the water while she paddled her little legs. She can't really go for walks and this little adventure will have her sleeping the rest of the day. Grandma had a blast today and if a dog could smile, she did...even if she fell over a couple of times.

All of that makes me wonder about the old people at the pool. You know, the ones who are doing some weird back stroke frog thing taking up the whole lane and barely moving? That may be the best they've got, that may be what's left in the tank. You kind of look at them like, why even bother to get wet, you're not really moving, you're not really going anywhere? In fact, you kind of look like you need to be saved. Who knows what they did in their younger years? For all I know, they were college swim champs or triathlon gurus. Guess what, sometimes, when it's all 'over' and you just physically can't do it anymore, you still want to go just because it's FUN.

That's why Kasha went to the lake today. She can't save you any longer or fetch sticks in the water but paddling around a little was just plain fun. Sometimes, it really is that simple.

20 comments:

MCM Mama said...

What a sweet doggie! That's awesome that you were able to get her out in the water today.

Southbay Girl said...

OK...thanks for making me cry! Just what I needed for a sunday morning!what a sweetheart! You are so lucky to have her and she is so lucky to have you!

Shazza said...

13 in dog-years is about 91 in human years if the old saying is true. If I can still make it into the water when I'm in my 90s I guess that'll be pretty amazing. I hope she had fun today, enjoying the water and being alive. You too!

kristen said...

Sweet old pup. She's got a great owner.

And I don't think you've been a bad blogger/friend. You always comment on my ramblings and I just figured you had better things to do on the weekend.

IronBob said...

Careful.
I'm not far away from being one of the old folks treading water... and I'll say to you young whipper snappers as you swim by.."Sonny, (this is for the boys out there),I once did that Ironman thing, you know, so get the fu*k out of my way!"

buprunner said...

Grandma is a champ!! I have an 11 year old beagle living with us, and Shayla runs like the wind, even with her medical issues. She's not much for water tho.

Looks like you had fun swimming.

Thanks for the drive by on my blog...

Keith said...

Blogging is fun, I enjoy reading other peoples blogs. But we've all got lives, and if the choice is between writing about stuff, or going and doing more fun stuff, or (if you have to) dealing with an emergency like an exploding dog, well, doing the blog should be last on that list. The only time I really get eager about a blog is if I KNOW that person has been up to something interesting, and that they will blog about it. Sooner or later.

One day, you will be so happy you took the time to help your dog into the water for some quality time, every chance you had. Though, I have to say, if I was swimming along, and I saw that doggy face really close, I'd likely panic pretty good.

Maybe the floaties ARE doing the best they can, and good for them. I just wish they'd all do it in the same lane; a lane that I'm not in. Please. Thank you.

Calyx Meredith said...

I totally plan to be one of those old broads swimming (?) randomly all over the lane in my floral, skirted suit. I figure it's better than sitting at home with 30 cats. :D Yay for you and that sweet dog paddling about in the lake. Oh - and I don't think you're a bad blogger friend either (but maybe it's just that I'm on the same kind of schedule!)

AKA Alice said...

Oh Missy...if you are a bad blogger and bad blogger friend then I am THE WORST right now (I'm posting about 1.5 times a week right now).

I agree with Keith. I love blogging and reading blogs, but it's better to be out doing...so no worries.

I LOVE the doggie pix. Just adorable!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Love the doggie pics!

Jo Lynn said...

Oh, old dogs. I just want to attach them to myself and give them love 24/7.
You're not a bad blogger friend. I notice everyone's blog is less active on the weekends. You are a great blogger friend. ;)

Molly said...

What a sweet girl! It makes me so happy that she got a nice outing to swim :)

And I'm laughing really hard that the word verification/security phrase I have to enter to post this is "fartypants."

Diana said...

I am totally a cat fan, but this post made me smile. How sweet to get the ole girl out there for some fun time!
Now try and take a cat to a lake? Yeah, that's a blog post if I ever saw one!!

joyRuN said...

What a sweet post :) You're very lucky to have each other!

The old peeps in the pool for water aerobics crack me up - they do more talking than anything else! But you're so right - they're in that water enjoying themselves - I'd be happy to be at that point when I get there.

Nyght said...

Oh, Grandma is just so darn precious! How sweet of you to give her such a fun day.

Runner Leana said...

Watching our pups get older is so hard. Finlay is turning 9 this year and he still acts like a puppy. I'm worried that one day age is going to smack him in the rump one day hard... :(

Grandma might not have been able to save people but no doubt she loved paddling about. She's adorable.

I have 239 unread posts in Google reader. I think that makes me a bad blogger friend. :(

MJ said...

Your dog is awesome.... and that's a great perspective on the folks in the floater lane.

Jo Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wes said...

Kasha is so adorable. I want somebody there to wrap me in a blanket when I'm old :-)

ShirleyPerly said...

AWWW, such a wonderful dog! It was difficult seeing my dog get old and have a hard time walking up/down stairs, etc. But he still loved just being around us. Thanks for making me smile :-)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!