Thursday, May 21, 2009

24 Hour Tri...planning phase

You've all heard me talk of this 24 hour tri 'thing' that I want to do next year. Well, someone...Dave...heard me loud enough. Long story short, he got me in touch with the biggest, baddest mutha of all, yep, Shanna Armstrong. Her name might not be as familiar to you but in the ultra world she is the deali-O. Anyway, got her number and called to ask a gazillion questions about ultra racing and this 24 deal. Oh, did I mention that she WON the 24 hour tri last year? Yep. Yeah, and she WINS Ultraman and RAAM and other assorted wicked ridonkulous events like that. She's training for a gigathlon and I don't even know what that IS. All the websites are in German. I THINK it's swimming, biking, running, skating, cycling. I have no clue the difference between biking and cycling unless it's road vs. mountain? Check out the resume on her website. All you can say is 'holy crap!' For being such a serious competitor, she was quick to say - have fun, that's the key, you still have to be having fun. This seemed to apply to both racing AND training. Her advice - if you're having a crappy run, maybe you need to go for a ride instead, get in something. Maybe it's not exactly what was prescribed on the schedule but it might just be the change up you need (physically and mentally).

Training for this does not seem it will be as daunting as I previously anticipated. It actually seems less regimented than Ironman training. Who knew!?! It'll be more free style training, get in the long stuff, a brevet or two would be good prep for the 24 hour race, get in some nite running and work on the mental game. How to keep the body moving forward when everyone else is falling apart? That seems to be the key. I'm totally stoked about it. She said she'd look at my training plans...she also said I should do it THIS year. GULP! I'd love to but I'm choosing to stay married, thanks. 2010 it is!

In workout news....
Why is it that when I start doing 'everything' again, the weights and core stuff take a back seat? I know it's key but when you're at 3 swim/3 bike/3 run you think it's enough. I must get better at getting the weights back into the plan.

One cold run, one nite ride, one swim and a bunch more to go this week. Weather is good, I'm ready.

In other news....
You can't fix stupid...we've all heard that one before, sure. BUT you can't cover up ugly with a little bit of makeup either!

20 comments:

Shannon said...

"For being such a serious competitor, she was quick to say - have fun, that's the key, you still have to be having fun."

This is the key for me=If I'm not having fun, I aint doing it. (Good old fashioned teacher advice!)

IronBob said...

"Enjoy and embrace the day". Hmmm... "have fun". I see a connection. I think I would like this woman.

Wes said...

That ultra triathlon stuff is a hole nutha layer of craziness I dare not ponder ;-)

Dave said...

As always...I am really excited about this for you...i may be running my first 100 miler the same time your training for the 24 hour tri thing....Rock ON

kristen said...

That's good advice she gave you. I think it helped me make some decisions about my trianing. Thanks for sharing that little gem with us. What is it with poeple named "Armstrong" who are so bad ass?

Night running.....waking up a midnight and going for a run? Crazy. Your intense - and I love it!!

Kim said...

wow, you are amazing for even thinking about that ultra!! i left my old coach/team bc i lost the joy/fun in training and triathlons - and now im having fun again! so shannon is right!!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

That ultra stuff is all you!

Shazza said...

24 hour triathlon sounds nutty enough to be fun! I read a post by a guy who did a double ironman, and that took about 24 hours, but this is different, right? I'm really curious about how you go about training for something like that, so can't wait to hear more about it.

Shanna Armstrong sounds really cool, what a woman!

You're right, btw, over here biking is mountain biking and cycling is road biking (velo).

Runner Leana said...

Sounds like you've got an amazing contact! I can't wait to see how you train for this thing. Can't say I blame you for waiting until 2010 either...

Yeah...I have a really hard time fitting in core and strength too. No idea why, because core is so good for you!

TRI-james said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TRI-james said...

Oops - wow that is crazy stuff - 24 hours - ouch.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

She ... also said I should do it THIS year. GULP! I'd love to but I'm choosing to stay married, thanks. 2010 it is! ...

Typical LUUZER talk!

I guess you just don't want it bad enough.

KIDDING!

Good luck with it, sister!

Carolina John said...

you better get some weights in. i have to be ruthless about the tri power workouts.

Jo Lynn said...

I like that you can mix it up if you need/want to. If you're not feelin' it, you're not feelin' it.

Who's trying to cover up ugly? I know it ain't you!!! ;)

joyRuN said...

Too cool you were able to hook up with her & get some advice!

24-hour tri - you're nuts, btw!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

love ridonkulous :) i like that even she said it's about having fun, so true, and the idea of getting something in is neat.

buprunner said...

I agree with Shannon.

That keeps me in it fo sho.

Amy said...

WOW, that is really cool that you got in touch with Shanna. I have no idea who she is but damn what a resume. I am so excited for you!

ShirleyPerly said...

I agree. It's gotta be fun or else I ain't doing it (not for long, at least). I've heard about this 24-hour tri before. Will be interesting to see how you train for it. For me the biggest challenge would be staying awake for 24 hours, lol.

Carly said...

24 hours of Triathaloning???? dang...I got tired just thinking about that.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!