Saturday, May 2, 2009

12 Challenges Update!

I haven't updated my list in a while so here it goes. Here were my 12 challenges for 2009 - since I didn't have an Ironman to train for, I felt as though I need some structure, some goals in which to obsess, er, focus on.

1. Check - go vegetarian for one week - I learned a ton during this week. One was that most 'regular' restaurants are NOT vegetarian friendly. How many times can you eat a potato and a salad while everyone else get's a chicken somethin, somethin? I need to go back to some of the killer recipes that I learned during this time. The primary issue, for me, making two different meals for dinner. Total pain in the arse and NO, the man needs some pig, cow and chickens.

4. Check - do and open water swim event - Miami 5K swim. With more time to think about WHY I was so pissed (at myself) about this race, it dawned on me...I don't give a crap if I come in third or last, if I give it all I got, then I'm happy. I did not give it all I had and that just makes me mad at myself. I know, I know, many people can't imagine 3.1 miles swimming, regardless of pace but I had more and I was better than that (1:42). I'm trying to 'get over myself.' In the end, at the end of the day, when I'm long gone, does it matter, no. I did it and I'm trying to deal with that fact. I'm just not a 'got out there and finish' kind of girl, I'm not a 'top 10' kind of girl either, I'm a 'lay it on the line with whatever I've got' kind of girl. I won't enter a race unless I feel prepared and I was more than prepared for this. Maybe this is why I'm not so sure I'll do it again, brings up bad memories of my slackitude!

5. Check - Five fruits and veggies a day - A LOT harder than you want to think. I need to get back to this. I can usually hang with 3ish servings but packing in all 5 is tough for me (and they all can't be fruit!).

12. Check - Read a non sporting book cover to cover - The Kite Runner. It may have just inspired me to start 'reading again.' I used to be a nose in a book kind of girl, throw in Ironman training and all bets are OFF.

There it is. I'm right on track. Not sure what May will be...no alcohol for one week (booo!), no TV (booo!), I may have to rewrite my list! I don't know if it'll be an add or a replaced by, but I need to throw trail running out there. I'll need to wait until the rainy season is over (whole weekend is a bust). I don't mean trail race so don't get excited Dave, just a baby trail run to see if I could even manage it! He's getting in a pool this month so a trail run is the least I can do to support him in his newly discovered amphibious self.

I've learned a lot and some has stuck and some has not. I hope I don't save all the hard stuff for the end of the year. Learn three survival skills? Who's idea was that anyway and why do I need survival skills?

In other news....
Ever walk across your kitchen floor in bare feet and feel like you're on the beach with sand between your toes (this is for you non-Floridians)? Yep, that's my kitchen. Off to clean, who knew that two people and two dogs could cause such a mess.

13 comments:

kristen said...

I think you should do the "non-watching tv" one during the summer when it's all repeats. I'm just saying...

PLUS, no achohol - What were you thinking? You should just get that out of the way now because it's craziness.

Good job on the rest. Kite runner was good huh? If you liked it, I'm thinking I probably would too. Maybe I'll give it a go this summer.

Keith said...

No booze for a week??? What were you thinking??

No TV. That one will be good for you. I believe that TV turns your brain into tapioca pudding.

Maybe do these with the survival skills training. Go into the boonies and get it all over with at once.

Diana said...

No snatches for a week....now that would just be cruel!
Have a great weekend!

Southbay Girl said...

TRAIL RACE!!!! Just do it! You'll LOVE IT!!! Sorry for the caps but trail running rocks!

TRI-james said...

TV is not hard to give up - however - be careful to not just replace it with computer.

Melanie said...

trail run sounds fun! Notice that Mr. G hasn't commented yet, wonder what he'll say about giving up the booze. :S

KK said...

Ugh I HATE that feeling on the kitchen floor-it reminds me of being little and playing at my friends' houses where the floors were like that and I think it made me into the clean freak I am today.

Those are some great goals-but, ummmm the no booze for a week? THAT is hard core...

And yes, being from MI and going to MSU counts for everything! I am the only one in my family who did not go to MSU but I still feel the most allegiance to that school even over my actual alma mater (or however you spell that word).

Your blog rocks-can't wait to read more.

IronBob said...

Damn, is this extended Lent, or something? giving up alcohol and all that other fun stuff. Isn't one of the reasons you work your butt off training, so you can enjoy this stuff.
Must be a Catholic thing...

Calyx Meredith said...

I like the idea of challenges instead of resolutions - but it cracked me up reading your list b/c the two easiest ones for me that you listed would be no TV and no alcohol. :D Peace!

Southbay Girl said...

http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_5360.asp

There! To start your trail running experience!!! Maybe we can run around Radnor Lake when I'm in Nashville on the 16-19th???? then wine????

Jo Lynn said...

Yippee Yi Yo for a trail run! Take pictures so I can see what it looks like. ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

No booze!1! ZOMG, sister, are you joining a nunnery?

I just don't think the world is quite ready for a stone-cold-sober Iron Oxide Missy.

If you don't drink, where will you get your recommended daily dosage of Vitamins A(lcohol) and D(runkeness) and S(ex-while-drunk)?

Those are the most important vitamins of all!

Have fun in the Nunnery!

Runner Leana said...

I love your 12 challenges. It actually inspired me towards my Great Lunch Swap Project. Would it be one week of no TV? Just wait until all the good shows are on summer hiatus and then it will be no problem!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!