Thursday, April 2, 2009

We're a team!

Weather has been sketchy here for riding so there has been zero in about a week. I just can't bring myself to get on that effen trainer. Borrring. Swimming - yep, getting my swim on - shocker. I'm 8300 yards in to my 16,000 meter target for this week - you do the math all you Canadians. Me arms is sore like my legs used to be sore after a hard run. Guess I wasn't using enough 'arm' in my swim and too much 'leg.' I keep walking around the house flexing like some total chode asking Ryan - do my arms look bigger? Aren't I huge? He laughs at me, yah, yah, yah, you're huge. BUT yesterday, he started poking around at my arms and lats - you know what, you ARE getting bigger, here and here. I said - no shit, that's what I've been telling you, I'm getting huge!!! My skin feels tight, it's weird. One baby run in for the week - I got two more to cram in somewhere.

Ten years ago today, I was on the beach in Grand Caymen. Toes in the sand, drinking a cocktail with an umbrella in it, snorkeling and hanging out with my family. It was at that moment, everything changed...I had a hair appointment in the hotel salon. Crap, I gotta go guys, see ya later. Got my hairs did, pulled out a wrinkled mass of a store bought $150 dress, used the nasty hotel iron to work it out, slapped on some birkenstocks and thought that getting married that day seemed like a good idea. On Her Majestys (Secret) Service, I pronounce you man and wife - kiss this crazy biatch if you dare. OK, he didn't say the last part but it we were married by the Church of England on Grand Caymen. Time flies, that's all I know.

Here are my big lessons to share in my 10 years of marriage...


It's a marriage, not a wedding - skip it and save your money. I really don't want to eat your crappy buffet chicken anyways.

You're a team now. Nothing better than having that one person who is always on your team no matter what. Never, ever, never cut them down or slam them in front of other people - that's your TEAM.


Like and love are two different things - I'm so glad that we still like each other.


Laugh and I mean laugh a lot. There isn't a day that doesn't go by that we don't make each other laugh...I mean knee slappin, snort havin, belly achin laugh. C'mon, if he didn't have a spectacular sense of humor, do you think he could be married to my goofy arse? Side note: We argue regularly on who is funnier. He says he's funnier than me...I said that I have 50 people that say otherwise:) He is responsible for Wordless Wednesday - got to give him credit for finding the best shiz around.

Men are simple, not shallow, but simple...I mean that in the nicest kinda way. But YOU are simple - feed, water (read: beer/tequila), sex and their sport of choice. Really, that's about it. Women like to make it so much more complicated but it truly boils down to those four things. I mean, yeah, they like to be needed and want to fix stuff all the time but if they've got those four things, they're pretty happy guys.


Choose your battles very carefully or it will become your job - don't criticize the way he mows the lawn or that is now YOUR job. Just say thanks...it really doesn't matter. People that argue about the lawn or the way you squeeze a toothpaste tube have never had anything bad happen in their lives. If that's what you have to argue about, check yourself. Talk to someone who has had to wipe their parents arse or has a horrific disease, c'mon people, the lawn or the fact that they're always 10 minutes late to everything? These are NOT things to argue about - adapt!!!


And that's what I know ... cheers to my little family! This is our family portrait...believe it. Our dearest friend and professional photographer captured this little gem. While we got some true family pictures, she captured this. I love it, framed huge in the house. I think it captures us pretty well. Plug, plug, plug - Angiesliger.com - if you have any big events coming up, weddings or otherwise, she's the best in town! I'm a little biased but her shiz is crazy good. She was my professional Ironman photographer too.

32 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

10 years, now that's impressive. We have a few on ya, but anything past 5 seems rare these days. So sweet.

And yes we are simple. When you ask us "What are you thinking honey" and we have no answer, it's because we have no answer. Simple as that.

Ryan said...

Congrats!

I'm coming up on 12 (totally unbelievable) Everytime we go to the church we got married the minister just looks at me and shakes his head and says he never thought it would last.

We don't like each other all the time but we love each other all the time.

Shannon said...

Happy Anniversary!

BTW, I agree about how simple our "dudes" our.

Now I'm off to make my husband breakfast while I talk about the NCAA scores and give him a shot of legg at the same time. (wink wink)

Shannon said...

I just had to ask my hubby how long we've been married, "your supposed to know that Shannon?" Now he's having me do math equations in my head. Ok, how long already.

"16 years in June" he says.....

Carly said...

Happy Anniversary. I couldn't agree more with your Team list, we also agrue who is funnier in our house. I am coming up on 12 years and I still like my hubby too.

Love your family portrait. Your friend is very talented.

Diana said...

Congrats on the big 10! That's awesome in this day and age of people not sticking things out together anymore. I got #28 coming up this June! Love my personal "sag" member!
Gotta throw this side note it.....your shoulders, lats and back would be smokin' hot with the kettlebells my friend!! I have NO, NONE, NADA back fat! OK, done with the plug!

Keith said...

24 years and counting. So true. Men ARE simple creatures. I keep telling my wife so. Hmmm, how do I get my wife to read this blog. hmmmmm.

Chloe said...

Congrats on the 10 years! I'm pushing two years of dating and pretty proud of myself :) And you are so right about the wedding. Ugh. I've been in way to many. Over it. You can come to my wedding on St. Pats day on the beach. Just have a beer in hand and something green on!!

It's amazing how much swimming tones your upper body! You have really taken your swimming to the next level and it's freaking AWESOME!!

Melanie said...

Happy anniversary, and congrats on 10 years! (btw, that math part was simple, the yards thing though? lol) You're so right about the team thing

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Happy A.!!
You still have sex after 10 years? Oh, I forgot, no kids...
Caymens, great place.. they need an IM....

Dave said...

Congrats on 10 years...you nailed it about the TEAM part, The sense of Humor part and the "guys really only need 4 things part." (coming up on 14 years in June) Heres to another 75 years....I tell my kids that one of their top decisions that will drastically affect their life will be "who they marry." You can't underestimate that decision...it can be total bliss..or if I look at some of my friends...complete HELL!

Marcy said...

CONGRATS GUYS!! Dayum we're not at the big 1-0 yet but I hope we make it (LOL JK! I know we'll make it) And I TOTALLY agree with the laughing. Man some of the BEST moments come from the hr before we fall asleep (in bed) when we talk about the most WHACK SH&T HAHHA

LOVE the pic! It's honest! I don't think it would look right if everyone was sitting there all prim and proper LOL

kristen said...

Great advice. I fully agree on all points. Espcially the one about men's needs. Very simple - why do WE have to be so damn complicated? You must listen to Dr. Laura. Love her! totally agree about the team too. When my man is gone at work it horrible. It's like playing a game with only have your team. No fun!

Great family portriat. You look stunning. Corgats to 10 years baby.

Carolina John said...

happy anniversary! we hit 10 years november 14th. at least you still like each other. kidding!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats!!!

AKA Alice said...

What you know...is a lot!

(Food, beer, sex, sport...yeah, that about sums it up!)

I'll be one of the 50 who say you're funnier :-))

Congrats on 10 years!

Lora said...

Congrats on 10 years!

Totally agree with your advice. Guys really are that simple, we should understand and embrace it instead of thinking it's more than that.

We had a very small wedding. Very small. I'd rather have that money to redecorate than spend on flowers that are gonna die. Just makes sense to me.

Congrats again!

Tilghman Carroll said...

Yee haw! 10 years, wow!, now only if I could find someone that would take me on a second date! ;)

You are so right, laughter is key...to everything.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I keep walking around the house flexing like some total chode asking Ryan - do my arms look bigger? Aren't I huge? He laughs at me, yah, yah, yah, you're huge. BUT yesterday, he started poking around at my arms and lats - you know what, you ARE getting bigger, here and here.

HAHAHAHA! Pretty soon, you'll be growing a penis, you chode!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Teh 'Bride and I also honeymooned in the Caymans (17+ years ago!) and Teh 'B took charge of the wedding herself (we paid) so that NO ONE ELSE could hijack it and turn it into this big-@$$ ... THING. For us, too, it was about the marriage, not the wedding!

And we, too - like you and Ryan - are still laughing and a bit incredulous that it's been 17 years already! Each one a great year.

If you DO grow a penis, I'm sure it'll be a very nice girly one and it won't be as big as Ryan's so he won't feel threatened!

Who's the chode NOW?

Happy anniversary, sister!

Bill said...

Congratulations on 10 years. You've got it figured out too. You should either write a book or go into couples therapy. And yes, we men are simple. That's part of why we can never figure you ladies out. My wife & I have been working it for 22 years so far.

joyRuN said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Excellent post, girl.

I tried to keep our wedding small (I was hoping for a small Hawaii or Tuscany thing). BUT, my hub's an only child of Italian parents, so my wedding was effectively hijacked & turned into the big thing I was hoping to avoid. Ah well.

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

I had to let you know, since I mix Arnie's Infinit, I do water it down. Maybe I will put some Exlax in it next week :D

Runner Leana said...

Happy anniversary! Love your tips - if/when I get married I'll do my best to remember them. You are right - it is a marriage, not a wedding - and I love your story!

aron said...

ohhh i LOVE this post :) happy 10 years!!! the team part is SO true and thats exactly how i feel about my hubs, always on my side no matter what :) yayyyy

untpawgal02 said...

How sweet... congrats :)

Jo Lynn said...

Aaaaaw, very sweet. Congratulations on ten years of marriage. So you were 12 when you married? ;)

Keith said...

And when your guy says 'yes dear' he means 'yes dear'. That's all. Any eye rolling is purely coincidental, since he at that very moment is trying to think of other things to please you.

Thinking of things to please you is very complicated, since there are so many rules that we don't know about. I am very fortunate to have been told about the blender rule.

Tone of voice doesn't mean anything at all. We all know guys don't do tone of voice. We mean what we say, and say what we mean.

Tone of voice does mean something to women. I can't imagine what, but it does, and it creates all sorts of trouble.

And since I missed it in my first comment, Happy 10th, and many more!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Congrats on 10 years.
We are coming up on 6.

I have to laugh about mowing the lawn...you are indeed correct...it is now my job.

Shazza said...

Hope you guys had a happy annversary. It'll be ten years for us this year too, in August. I hope we still like each other! He still makes me laugh, he's so chilled that he keeps me from spinning off into orbit, he's a great Dad...yeah, we're a team.

Love the photo too!

Calyx Meredith said...

Happy 10 to the team! I love what you said about adapting. Amen, sister!

Wes said...

Happy Anniversary! I'd like to say more, but I gotz to keepz it simple :-)

MJ said...

Great list. Congrats on the 10 years!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!