Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New Math

16000 Meters - 4200yards - 4200yards = 8400 Meters left for the week ... with a 5K swim on Saturday, I gots to get in 3400M on Thursday. Our pool is short course half the time and long course the other half - I'm always having to do new math to get my meters correct. Thank gawd for online conversion calculators. I'd be stuck in metric hell! ...actually, metric is easier than whateverthehellitisthatweuse, but I digress. I remember having to learn metric in the 5th grade because - it was coming. I guess I'm the last one still waiting! I'm hopeful.

Everyone's the same in a Speedo. You know you're out somewhere and you see someone that you run, ride or swim with and you always have to introduce yourself because no one recognizes one another 'out of context?' I had the grand realization last nite that everyone is the same in a Speedo. I don't care if you're a doctor, lawyer, tv personality, soap star, stay at home mom, commercial airline pilot or a machine operator. When you're hanging out at the pool in your Speedo, it's all out there...some more than others...and I'm talking about people with old, raggy, see thru bathing suits...NOT those that carry a little more here or there. It's all out there, you're just this side of naked, sorry for the visual but you are. It's as close as you're going to get in public, anyway, OK, probably. After we all leave the pool and get dressed, we get back to our real lives and our real jobs. I guess for that short moment in time, we're all just the same....half naked flopping in a pool. So, if we ever run into one another out sometime, please introduce yourself and forgive me if I introduce you to Ryan as - blue speedo guy or teenie weanie bikini guy or turtleman - it's all the same in a Speedo.

P.S. I did get in one hillierthanhell nite ride on Tuesday - add in one Five Guys Cheeseburger at the end and I was one happy little climber.

20 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

The speedo don't get thrown out until there's nothing left but a drawstring.

joyRuN said...

Happened to me last week - completely didn't recognize this woman who was talking to me, until she mentioned the pool.

Yards or meters - that's a whole lotta swimming, girl.

Diana said...

I tried for hours to convert how far I've swim.....piss on it, now I just ask the lifeguard! I have enough to worry about, like does my ass show through this raggy old suit, rather than how many meters or yards this is! Just tell me how many times I have to go "back and forth" for a mile and I do it! Life is hard enough without more added stress!!!

Chloe said...

Thanks for the comment on my race :) It was pretty awesome!

Why is it that every time I read your blog, I seem to be thinking of nasty 10 year old navy blue see through old man ball speedos?

Keith said...

100 yards is 91.44 metres. I think my brain would melt if I was swimming in a yard pool and I had to keep track of distance.

The other thing about recognizing people is that some of us are shortsighted. Very shortsighted. With astigmatism. Put two people at the other end of the pool and I'm not likely to be able to tell gender. I have to squint and look carefully to see if there is anyone in the water at the other end of the pool. Even someone only a few feet away, I have to look carefully to see if it's someone I know. So, no, I'm not looking at that raggedy ass old speedo.

Wes said...

Yea, that's exactly why I pack some extra "stuff" when I wear a speedo... oh wait, I don't own a speedo... hmmmmm...

kristen said...

Turtleman - disturbingly funny.

Janice {Run Far} said...

LOL- Diana's comment made me laugh. Well they all did. Wish I were a swimmer so that I could have something clever to say.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Yes, I got introduced to someone yesterday as "the white girl at the pool." I never even noticed.

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Nothing like 5 guys burgers. I think they should start selling Lipitor at the check out counter. It would probably be good for keeping returning business.

Jo Lynn said...

Well, I don't swim. BUT.....

When I am seen somewhere other than a dirty trail, without a cap and sunglasses? I have to introduce myself as "I run with a dog named Boomer." ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You have my permission to introduce me to Ryan as "Elephant Trunk, curves slightly to the left".

Or "No, he's NOT happy to see you, he ALWAYS bulges like that".

Calyx Meredith said...

Those are some long swims - new math or not. I have a hard enough time figuring how much more I've got to go without them changing from meters to yards and back again!

Shannon said...

5 Guys is da bomb!

aron said...

I always wonder how swimmers remember and keep track of how far you go... I think I would just end up getting confused all the time :)

Keith said...

Aron:
Every swimmer has their trick. The short version of mine - in a 25 or 50 m pool, (the m is important) I usually swim lengths in just under a minute. So my watch tells me how many laps I've done. Add in some drill and things get all pear shaped and I don't bother to keep track anymore.

Southbay Girl said...

I don't think I want to know about turtleman!!!

Jill said...

HA! Turtleman...I am now wondering if that's the same guy Joe and I refer to...if so, when I see "Turtleman" at a race I say..."cannot be beat by Turtleman."!!!

PS Good news...I may actually graduate Level I swim this time!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Um yeah. I'm swimming in 2 hours, so I'll definitely be thinking that 'we're all THIS close to being naked'. Nice . Oh well - the baggy speedo is the worst. You don't want to look...but you cant help it...but you don't really know them well enough to say anything.... hee hee hee!

theloosemoose said...

I remember being absolutely TERRIFIED in fifth grade when the teacher told us that the metric system was soon going to replace our whatever-the-hell-we-ignorant-Americans-use. She said we'd have to learn it, then teach it to our parents. As if.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!