Monday, April 6, 2009

Inspiration...WHHHAT?

First and foremost - shout out to all those NOLA racers on Sunday! Can't wait to see everyone's race report. Steve (and Pharmie), TriJames, Chloe, Amy and my Excel, blogless, teammates Kevin and Vickie. From what I'm seeing, everyone had a great race. I'll be interested on your take. Oh, yeah, and there's Marit who raced 70.3 on the other side, the Oceanside. Yeah, she did OK too, UM, yep, she's going to Kona!!! I'd say that's a good run at her first race 'back' in action. Sheesh! Way to go!
Way to GO Spartans - love my Spartans! Michigan State University, class of 1995!

In the last week, I had two different, unrelated people say that I was an inspiration. I giggled, I laughed, whhhat? An inspiration? I don't even have a good story to tell - I wasn't 800lbs and lost it all to become some supreme athlete, I wasn't a raging drug addict that traded in drugs for triathlon, I wasn't even a high school or college track star or swimmer. I'm just a girl. I only started running because I needed to lose weight - it was post college and living on ramen and beer had caught up with me. Save losing ~15 lbs. that's what started all of this. I suppose none of us know how or who we inspire. I find it freakin hilarious that anyone thinks that I AM inspiring. Now I'm not phising, I'm not looking for comments on how freakin inspiring I am, it just made me think about why, why do I continue on this path? I will never win a prize, I'll never qualify for Kona (unless I'm still doing this at 79 and I might have a chance). None of this is natural talent, I've had to work for all of it. People always look at me and say - oh, well, you're a runner. I s'pose because I'm 5'9" and legs that go on for days. BUT, if you'd have seen me a few years ago, I'd run, but such a clod, you'd hear me coming before you saw me, that's for sure. Natural, NO, learned, YES, all of it. I'm not sure if that's it or what - the inspiring part, I mean. Maybe to know that you CAN learn all this stuff, you CAN go from a 5K to a marathon with training and time, that you CAN go from a 5K to an Ironman with more training and time. I'm not competitive except with myself. I'm not fast enough to be truly competitive. I always want to do better than before and give it the best I've got. To date, I've never had a DNF (thankfully) and I've finished everything I've started.

In workout news...
16,000 Meters, hells yes! Got in 16K last week on the swim action. Woohoo. It's a different and interesting ride than anything I've embarked upon before. When you ride or run, you often have people with you for the duration. While my Excel peeps are the best on the planet and we laugh our arses off, you still spend a majority of the time underwater, not talking, not laughing...unless it's at the guy next to you so you can make faces at him underwater - I am ALWAYS looking for a laugh. Since the majority of them are swimming as part of their yearly tri plan, I feel like I'm missing out on the action, the training time, the post training "let's go have a beer" time. It's exciting and weird all at the same time. I DO feel like I'm missing out but I also KNOW that I couldn't pull it together for another IM this year. Besides the swimming, I got in two baby runs and one asskickinghilly bike ride. I think the boys only had to really WAIT on me twice. Why is it that I tell them I know the way, they still insist on waiting? Love them! Friends are good!

19 comments:

Shannon said...

You inspire because it takes a whole lotta heart to do an IM & swim at the awful hour you get up. I'm glad your funny, cute, inspire others and love triathlons! We be sista's!!!

TRI-james said...

Why do you do it? Because you want to be the biggest, baddest, fastest MOFO you can be!

And yes you are inspirational - I've got a 140.6 sticker stuck to the wall above the alarm clock becasue of you! Thanks!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You used to inspire me because you used to post at like 4;30 a.m., which is even earlier than I can usually get it up (I mean my BLOG POST, nasty!), but I see today's time-stamp is 5:00 a.m., so I am TOTALLY disillusioned and I now think you suck.

In fact, I have become a nihilist because of this and I no longer believe in anything. Thanks to you.

This is kinda freeing, though - not believing in anything. There's no pressure on me anymore!

And I owe that all to you.

So congrats! You're an inspiration to me again!

(Try not to F*CK IT UP this time!)

Carlee said...

Sounds like such a great group to train with. I know what you mean about swimming being this sport where you really don't ever talk to anyone, without the after (for me it was the college dining hall) it can become so solitary!

Dave said...

Don't ever underestimate how you inspire. I am much like you...will never be fast. Asthma has left scar tissue on the lungs and I have had to work for all of it.

But because you are out there doing it...NOT making excuses, people get inspired by that. Today there are too many shoulda, coulda, woulda's out there so when someone like yourself does it...it's freaking inspiring...so go with...don't discount it. Just think the good Lord you are able to do you what you do...

Wes said...

You are inspiring cause you are the first human to grow gills! ROFL... A swimming goddess :-)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Go Spartans!!!

Shazza said...

Yours is one of the blogs I read to give me a kick up the ass when I don't feel like training. And anyone who can get me in the pool at 5pm after a day at work is definitely inspirational!

kristen said...

I guess you never really know how your life or actions inspire people. I have been inspired by people who will never know I felt that way. It's one of the good things in life. That's cool your inspiring. Hopefully I am too.

Diana said...

I laugh at your post every time I read it! That's inspiring to me! To see what everyone puts their bodies through to cross some bullshit timer line, just cracks me up and to now think what I've done to get to that same point! This shit is fun, whereas, death is permanent-so I'm going to stick with this crazy shit we call "training!"

Runner Leana said...

16,000m, that's awesome! I don't think you have to have some amazing come from behind story to be an inspiration. I think having the tenacity to train and race an Ironman (and now your swim race and the 24 hour triathlon) are great for providing inspiration.

Carolina John said...

there's always a bigger fish. something that can come along and eat you like you were not an inspiration at all. but sometimes, to other people, you are the bigger fish. i don't think twice about it, but people are amazed at how fast i can type. i don't consider that something that makes me a big fish, but the looks on other people's faces tell a different story.

triguyjt said...

way to inspire...and good luck to your spartans...what an amazing story they are!!

joyRuN said...

I'm 5'9" and legs that go on for days

Why do I like you?!

Good thing you ARE inspirational :)

Mmmm.... ramen noodles.

MJ said...

Yo Missy! I just caught up on about 10 of your last posts (being away from a computer for about 3 weeks sucks).... but reading 10 new posts all at once was awesome!

Inspiration usually isn't about results or speed, it's about attitude and effort.... So it isn't so very surprising that you have been 'labelled' - at least to me.

Cheers!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You ARE inspiring! And freakin' hilarious - a GREAT combo. Keep doing what you're doing!!! Yeaaahhhh for the swimming. THAT is solid, and it kicks major butt! Sa-weet!

BreeWee said...

heck ya woman! YOU are in inspiration... anytime you do things others can not do (for whatever reason, maybe they don't have legs or drive or they are scared) you inspire... you gotta believe that about yourself!

Glad things are going well in your world...
keep inspiring!!

Jo Lynn said...

Being inspiring is a great thing. You never know how actions are going to affect certain peeps. Be thankful a few have found yours inspiring.

5'9"? Long legged? Biatch! ;)

Vicki said...

Oh but Missy I am blogging!! You just had not found me yet. Set up for family and friends but as you know it has turned into another beastly means of communciation to the outside world.
Blog site:

http://2009imlouisville.blogspot.com/

Thanks for being inspiring, funny and let me share your lane once in awhile!!

Vicki

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!