Saturday, April 18, 2009

20K - Book It!

Last weeks totals...
Swim - 20,000 meters, book it! My largest swim week, evah.
Bike - 50 miles...and held on to the boyz, I might add.
Run - 3 miles, yep, 3 baby, measly miles. I know where I need to focus...starting NEXT week. Weather here has been sketchy at best and I just hate the dreadmill.

This is wayyy to early for pre-race jitters! Yep, this is pretty much how I'm feeling. AH! Why did I think this was a good idea again?
I'm thrilled to be tapering. I'm a HUGE tapering fan. Maybe it's because I really like to sleep, huge fan of my bed and pillow. HOWEVER, I'm having the grand realization that this is NEW. I mean it's new and it's not new. I've never just swam any event before and I'm afraid of those people. I've heard horror stories of dunking, clawing, goggle pulling and the like. Now, I'm sure that's for the pros or at least those that have hopes of placing. I guess I'll just position myself in the middle somewhere but I have this feeling my coach and Blondie will be dragging my arse elsewhere. I KNOW I can make the distance so that's not the issue. It's the bodies, the arms, the elbows, getting kicked in the teeth, raw mouth from salt water, ugh. Just starting to get a little freaked out by the whole thing.

HUGE BONUS - packing for this trip is like nothing else. A couple of swim suits, flip flops and some shorts and I'm good to go. Weird. No hauling a bike around an airport having unassuming men ask if they can help me...then they grab a hold of the bike case and get a dayum hernia. Not even a pair of running shoes because there is not a chance I'll be running down there. If I'm not swimming, toes in the sand with umbrella cocktail in hand.

17 comments:

Dave said...

Training is in the freaking books...i am impressed...20K...btw I start next week and am amped up about it...

Melanie said...

whoo hoo! You did the 20k! Awesome! Can't wait to hear how well you do! :)

Keith said...

With your 'guns' you'll be able to do your own share of "dunking, clawing, goggle pulling and the like". Let your inner shark out to play. Have fun! Enjoy tapering!

MCM Mama said...

I'm a big fan of tapering. Sleep is good!

You'll rock the swimming. Just let your inner beast out.

Wes said...

20K in one week is ungodly!! Yea... I said it... You enjoy your taper!

p.s. How are the gills? :-)

TRI-james said...

I'm not one to give advice on swimming - but just try to race your own race and you will kick ass - You know you will!

Runner Leana said...

20,000 m in the books - way to go Missy! I know you are going to kick some a$$ on the race. Have an umbrella cocktail for me!!

Jo Lynn said...

Congratulations on your biggest swim ever!!! That's a lot. OMG, that picture is so cute. Clawing? Dunking? That's enough to keep you up at night for a while. Sheesh.

Southbay Girl said...

WTF?? Clawing and dunking? What is wrong with these peeps-just use an elbow!!!

You are SO READY!! You Can DOOOOO It!!! You're going to go down to florida and kick ASS! You're ready, you've trained you ass of and built ip killer guns-woman you are ready!!!

Between you and Jo Lynn I'm beginning to feel like a wimp!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Way to kick @$$ abd take names, sister! 20k? HURT ME, Big Girl!

Don't worry about the race -

You'll be strong to the finishk
If you eats yer spinachk -
You're Missy The Swimmer Gal!1!

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

IF you make a wrong turn and end up in Cuba, tell Fidel Ironbob said HEY

Diana said...

Holy swimming! Nice job! I can't wait to hear all the details and I'm sure I'll choke on something while reading it!

MJ said...

It seems clear to me that you are feisty enough to dunk and claw with the best of them....

With all the training (20km last week alone!!!) under your belt you should be confident enough to clobber anyone that gets too close!

Amy said...

I can't believe you got thought the full 20K. IMPRESSIVE. Can't wait to hear about the race and I am SO jealous all you have to pack is a swimsuit. You're going to have so much fun!

buprunner said...

Elbows and feet and claws, OH MY.
You'll know what to do and when, YOU rule the water!
Go get 'em!!

Chloe said...

Whoohoo! I'm bowing down to the swimming goddess! That is awesome!!

I think if you can survive the miillion man swim startfor IMFL - you can pull through any swim start!!

I'm so excited to hear about the race!!

PS - come and race Gulf Coast - Snoop Dog will be there!!

aron said...

you are amazing... 20k of swimming! wow :)

enjoy your taper!!! i am a fan of sleep too so i am trying to use tapering for the extra sleep as well :)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!