Monday, March 2, 2009

Tri vs. Solo - the Run Breakdown

As I make my way to my first 'individual' Open Water Event, I broke down the Road Race vs Tri and tri won, hands down. Those road race beotches are scary. Since I got nothin on the swim YET, here's my take on a run vs. a tri run. So many distances...


2005 - Some race I don't remember the name of and before I started on this tri thing. Wow, it was less than four years ago. I look way to happy about it....my coach today says that's cuz you didn't work hard enough. Damn it all, he's only happy if I'm puking on my shoes or peeing on myself (I mean that...isn't that a nice bodily reaction to hard work)?
The 5K - For me, this is the scariest of all distances and I'm not kidding. I'm not explosive and I'm no sprinter. It's like I have this total block, this pace my body adjusts to and it won't go any lower. I really want to see a 5K in the 'teens someday but I don't know if that will ever be in the cards for me...I got about 3 minutes I need to find and that's a lot of time for 3.1 little miles.


The Sprint Run Tri - Usually 5K - 4 Milesish - I don't like this one either for the same reason. Those freaks are running so fast...I see 5-6 minute miles and it makes me puke, bastards.
Score: Tie, hate both runs


The 10K - Better than a 5K but NOT by much. This is still a bunch of damn sprinters in my book.


The Olympic Distance Tri - 10K - This one will get points because I can almost hang onto my regular 10K times. This is also when 'general population' starts to crack which is good...for me.
Score: Tie, like them both and don't terribly suck...for regular folk


The Half Marathon - My favorite run distance of all. I feel like it's a challenge but it's 'reasonable.' I don't have to train myself to death to get there and I'm a decent pacer. Even without my new Garmin (and Garmintard abilities), I've always been able to pick a pace and hold it pretty close. Since I'm good about not shooting my wad at the start, I just lerve to pass all those 'guys' at about mile 7-8 who just cashed in their chips. Is there anything better, really? Suckerrrrs. The thing is, they never learn either.


The Half Ironman - Again, I can hang with regular folk, pick a gear and stick with it BUT by this time, I AM getting tired and most likely, horribly chafed. The last HIM I did (see Firey Pee Video Post) I was so wet and chafed that I did actually have issues just running the last three miles or so. It was the physical pain of my skin rubbing off that got to me.

Score: Half Marathon takes this one! Now, if I can just find that 1:45 I've been looking for - BLASTED!

The Marathon - I've only ever done two. I was training for a third when I injured myself in training and gave up 'marathons', as it were. I liked them and the feeling of accomplishment was really great. The training is what got to me the most, all that running! Seriously, sounds dumb but running 5-6 days week mentally and physically got to me. Kudos to anyone who can hang like that fo sho! I toy with the idea these days but I don't let it go too far...I think my expectations have changed too much.

The Ironman Marathon - I've done ONE! I don't know if I can say that I loved it but I was most happy with how it turned out. I didn't win a prize but my 4:40 run split was all I could ever have hoped for. The only miles I hated were 18-21 (same as an individual marathon). Once I hit the 20's, I was totally stoked and just moving forward towards the light.

Score: Ironman Marathon has to take this one. I really thought I'd cry but I was just way too pumped about it.

Sooo, in the run category tri vs. solo, we have a tie 5K and 10K are a wash, 13.1 RUN WINS and 26.2 Triathlon WINS. There it is. Besides all the health benefits and shiz, running is the most convenient for me and probably most people. There's a smaller amount of gear and I don't have to drive somewhere (the pool) to do it. My favorite running gear - a speedo one piece bathing suit, shoes, socks and a visor...it really freaks out the people in the park and I just don't care of all my junk is hanging out the back. I like the 'freeness' of it and the way it holds my gut in;) AND you might even have a few friends 'join you' - got to check behind!

Now, we'll just have to see how this Open Water swim thing goes! Last year, there were only two chix in my age group...not like any other '5K' I've been a part of so...fingers crossed!

20 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

Marathon split of Ironman Florida. Broke 5 hous. I am sure I coulda broke 4.5 if it weren't for the blisters and chafing.

Wish you were running in my park. I'd love to chase you in your speedo. Best of luck in the open water.

Shannon said...

The Olympic Tri & 1/2 Marathon are my favorites...so far. I'm not even close to being in your league....yet.

"Garmitard".....hilarious!

DeniseRMT said...

Found you through Chloe. Great stuff here! 10K is favorite distance. I like half marathons too. I just ran the Disney 1/2 and marathon last month and another marathon on Sunday. I would love to do another this year, but playing it be ear at the moment as tri season is upon on here in Fl.

I've done a few tri sprints last year and really enjoy those, but I am really weak on my swimming and biking. Running is definitely my strength.

Come visit my blog!
Run DMT
http://denisermt.wordpress.com

joyRuN said...

One day I'll post about my first & only tri experience. That little sprint f*cker ruined it for me.

LOVE the HM distance too.

Still can't imagine swimming/biking before a 26.2!

Carly said...

Oh the half marathon is my favorite too and I agree with the 5K and 10K...I am still getting warmed up at 3.1 miles.

One day I would love to to some sort of tri, I just need to learn to swim and bike. Ha!

Melanie said...

great breakdown, and although i haven't tried a marathon yet, i also like the HM distance!

Diana said...

I can't quite say what my favs are yet, I've done only a sprint tri and a bunch of 5K's. I'll get back to you on this.
Thanks for the memory of the fiery pee image-cracks me up-I'm sure it hurt like absolute hell, but still funny ;-)

Chloe said...

Nice breakdown. I hate the 5K as well. I usually get an ok time - but it's just a full out sprint! And I seem to always PUKE after. 1/2 marathon? Full marathon? Hand me a beer. 5K? Give me a bucket.

Rock of love was good last night. But I am PISSED they where in freaking Panama City Beach and I did not know!!

Marcy said...

I am TOTALLY with you on 5ks. I hate, hate, hate them! I don't deal well with the fast running hurt factor that goes along with it.

IronBob (spawning?? at IMAZ 08) said...

I need you to teach me how to do a 4 40 at IMFL this November. That would be kick ass. I guess I need to actually do more than 3 and 4 mile runs in prep??

Wes said...

I love'em all. It's basically about picking the type and duration of the pain you want :-)

Dave said...

i really need a swim coach...are you tired hearing about how I can't swim well.

What about an Ultra?...you done an IRONMAN...bet you could run a 50 miler with a little training.

The Running Girl said...

Nice comparisons. Love the pic in the last post of you and your boxer.

Jo Lynn said...

Running in a Speedo? I've never thought of that. Hmmmm. Something to consider. ;)

IronBob (spawning?? at IMAZ 08) said...

I love your coaches tips on run training. I know numerous people that hurt themselves and dont even make the starting line (of whatever race). I have done 16 marathons and even though best to worst is around 1 hour difference (3 52 vs. 4 45) my 30 mile per week max schedule I knew would always get me to the starting line (subsequently the finsh). Here's to mucho biking, my new found passion.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I'd like to try a half. I was seriously preparing to when I blew my knee out. Now, I hope to again, but not till the fall at the earliest.

Those b@st@rds who run 5ks with 5-6 minute miles should ALL BE MEAT PUNCHED!1!

MJ said...

I find that the shorter the race the easier (and therefore less stressful and more fun) but the longer the race the more difficult and therefore more satisfying.

I need a bit of both to feel like all is right in the world...

kristen said...

Running in a speedo. Go on with your bad self.

Deb said...

My god, I can't imagine enjoying an Ironman marathon over a regular marathon...that's insane. Guess one day i'll be able to compare the two!! :) Good luck in the open water swim!!

Southbay Girl said...

You are my hero!!! I can't wait to hear all about your open water swim...scares the living daylights out of me!

I too LOVE the half marathon. I think it's the perfect race! But I've never been a fast runner!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!