Thursday, March 26, 2009

This 24 Hour 'Thing' ..er Tri

HUGE shout out to my friend, Shelly, on the right (Ironman Louisville 2009) who saved my arse at swim Wednesday nite. Ever show up without a towel? This is problematic. Those stupid ass 'paper towels' that are actually more like newspaper aren't going to dry my bits at ALL. Shelly had an extra towel in her car...didn't even have to beg someone for the sloppy second use of their towel. You DO get over that shiz in a hurry, borrowed bathing suits, towels, sports bras...whatever has been forgotten and not a workout to be missed for something as silly as that. THANKS Shelly!

My friend and coach (triswami) did this 24 Hour Triathlon last year as a team. When looking for the next big challenge, I wanted to come up with something new. This year being a 'lean one'...and I mean money not me because we ALL know that fat floats...I'm embarking on some longerish distance open water swims. A 5K coming up and a 4.5 miler in June. That leaves a huge hole for 2010. As everyone knows, you better have your Ironman plan in place a year ahead of time or you're not getting into the race. I'm actually afraid to do another Ironman...I just don't know if I can a) top it b) improve or c) capture THAT feeling again. Sooo, when I heard about this 24 Hour thing, I started asking questions. Quite frankly, the part that sold me, you get to sleep with your bike in transition. Seriously, I've been looking for that excuse for years. Anyway, you can do this thing as part of a team or solo event. For some totally unknown reason, I think that solo would be crazy good. People have been posting, commenting and asking questions on how to train for such a thing...

I HAVE NO DAYUM IDEA! I'm going to spend this year figuring that part out. You can't just look up a 24 Hour Tri Training plan on line. I suppose I need to start researching last years participants and figure out how to get a hold of them (cyber stalk them) and ask questions (and hope they don't ask me for payment). I know Dave - I just ran a 50 mile trail run bitches - likes to do some endurance training in the middle of the nite. Why not start a run at midnight and run until 5am? Crap, that's just kooky talk. I suppose there will be some of that with a combo on the run/bike ... run/bike until the pool opens at 5am, jump in and swim for a while or until you pass out, whichever comes first. I'm trying to convince others this is a good idea and we can set up camp in someone's garage with cots and crockpots of food...all part of training, my friends. That's the other thing - how do train to eat during something like that? I'm not eating effen gels for 24 hours, I can tell you that for certain right NOW. I'm gonna need a potato or something! I think there will be lots of workouts with longerish type breaks in between - train the body to go, go, go, quick rest, catnap or sleep, quick eat and then go again. This is NOT like anything I've done where it's - stop, get your water, pee and let's roll it on outta here. So there it is. Can't say I know what I'm getting into but it's all a journey. If I can horde enough vacation time this year, I'd love to go out and volunteer to get an idea of how it all goes down first hand.

Basically, it's a sprint that you keep on doing, over and over again. There are blackout times for the swim, no swimming at nite. Otherwise, wide open. You don't have to do the events in order, other than the first swim/bike/run (I believe). You have to go through one sprint and then it's swim, swim, swim, swim some more and swim THEN get moving on the bike/run part. It all boils down to strategy and if you planned your time properly...oh yeah and how hard can you actually work when you're falling asleep. I'm a total sleep whore too. At 24 hours, it's how many collective 'triathlons' you have finished. If you've done 12 swims, 14 bikes and only 11 runs - you only get credit for 11 'triathlons.' That's your final score. ...all of this is from reading their website. I'm sure there's a shitload more to it than that! Like, how and when do you sleep? What about support? Unlike a traditional event, I think you can have support. All questions to be answered. So, if anyone is up for a weekend workout of riding at 2am and then going for a run at, say, 4am and then jump in the pool at 5am, just holler....I don't actually believe I'll get any takers for that one. Just have to have Ryan track my ass with a GPS to make sure I didn't snuggle up in the shrubs somewhere for a nap!

Ever have to answer the question, "Why do you do this?" I said Ironman and he said - why? Well, first he said, holy shit, how long is that? Yep 140.6 miles. Why, he asked? I HATE that question because I never have a good answer. I'm not doing it for a cause or to raise awareness about anything...other than I'm a bad ass mofer bitches! Seriously, my answer to him, "Because I can, whyNOT?"

19 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

Hi "INSERT NAME" Bestest triathlon training friend ever. I just signed up for a 24 hour triathlon, would you like to train with me?

CLICK

HELLO! HELLO! Are you there?

Shannon said...

Wow! Ok WOW....you do it first and then they will follow...

BTW, I get "those questions" all the time. Why? Why Not, is the perfect answer.

joyRuN said...

Whoa! That'd be one way to raise your bad@$$ level another notch - tri-ing through the night?

Great idea to volunteer for one first just to see what people do to train/pull it off.

And yes, I was glad not to have an @$$-crack chafe - those hurt!

Carolina John said...

yea that's going to be a bitch all right. but at least it will be fun for us to watch you train for it!

Diana said...

I would LOVE to ride at 2am. Where in TN are you???
This 24 hour tri sounds radical, great...something else to put on my mind!

Dave said...

Missy...I would do that 24 hour thing in a heart beat. Here is where I think an ultra runner may be able to help. First nutrition...yeah your going to need to eat more than Effing gels. Boiled potatoes with salt, PB&J, start talking to some ultra guys who do 100 mile runs...they usually take about 24 hours to complete...and there isn't really any sleeping. Do they allow pacers at night...that helps to keep going. This 24 hour thing is going to be really mental...and if I lived in TN...I would be right there for an all night bike/run...hell yeah! This 24 hr tri sounds really cool...I am stoked for your.

Dave said...

p.s. I just had another thought. I may be able to get you in touch with Shanna Armstrong. We have a mutual friend and she heralds here in Texas. I bet she would know something about traing for that. Email from my blog if your interested in that...she ran that freaking 50 miler this weekend in 10hr 15min...and got lost twice.

Melanie said...

looking forward to *your* journey (cuz i'm quite sure i would NEVER be strong enough... so I'll live vicariously though you on this one...) and hearing the answers to your questions :)

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Have you heard of UltraMan?? My good buddy I met on the IMAZ marathon death march, Harvey Thorleifson, is doing UltraMan Canada this year. 3 day event. 10km swim, 418km bike, and 84km run.

In terms of going 24 hours, I was only 7 hours short of that in IMAZ. (I believe in getting your monies worth).

Actually, I think you should come on down and work IMFL this year to get into next years. You can volunteer to body mark me ;-)

The Running Girl said...

"because I can" is a good enough answer in my book. Strangely enough, a 24 hour tri actually sounds like fun. Too bad I don't live close to you for training (plus, I don't think my husband would go for that; I'm still trying to get him use to the whole IM idea)

Keith said...

A hole in 2010? Come up and do IM Canada. Penticton is nice in August....

Runner Leana said...

Holy moly Missy, that sounds super hardcore! Can't wait to follow you along on that journey!!!

kristen said...

Your one serious biatch aren't you! This sounds incredible. I like that you have to use some strategy. Initially I thought you had to continuously do the s,b,r in proper order, but I like it.

Sign up so you have some good shiz to blog about. We all want to hear about it, but are to chicken shit to actually committ.

Wes said...

we ALL know that fat floats...

hahahahahahaha!

Thanks for that one. Dee Dee had to lift me off the floor :-D

I need more info on this 4.5 mile swim. I am interested. My 5K swim is still a no go as it is on the same day as Iron Girl.

other than I'm a bad ass mofer bitches!

You are also Captain Obvious ;-)

Marcy said...

You is a crazy mo-foer and I like it ;D ;D

Southbay Girl said...

You are a Bad Ass Mo-Fo Biatch if you are even thinking about a 24 hour tri!! WOW is really all I can say! I don't know how many tri's I'd be able to do in a 24 hour period! What is the record for a 24 hour tri??

You are crazy woman!!

Chloe said...

Gross. Just the thought of 24 horus of gels makes me want to puke. Ugh.

Google "Zen and the art of triathlon" - that guy has a blog and a pod cast. He does alot of those 'longer' races :)

Shelly said...

Your completely welcome to any crap I'm carting around in my car or various tote bags. Can't promise its clean, but its all yours!

Michele said...

The 24 hour thing sounds SO cool to me, would love to attempt one of those.
Was telling Ronnie about it and he asked "where is it?" I clicked on your link and said "oh, CO".
Is there one closer????

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!