Friday, March 6, 2009

T30 and a Relay Race?

Let me just say that Ryan LOVES to race, excel and be first in everything he does - set race records, get the checkered flag, you get the idea. Yep, that's him! I LOVE to race, excel and give it the best I've got and do better than I did the last time. As you can see, there's a huge difference. I may, just MAY have convinced him that doing a relay this year with me is a good idea. This, of course, was not before he checked the relay team times from the previous year. I think after he saw the times, did the math for the paces, asked if I could hold a X:XX pace for four hilly miles, he conceded that he MIGHT be willing to relay with me. I'd get to swim and run and he'd ride. While we make a good team off the field, we'll just have to see if we make a good team on the field. YIKES! Hope we don't kill each other....

T30 - this is timed 30 minute swim. We do this exercise periodically in our masters/tri class - how far can you go in 30 minutes. While it might be really neat to know that I can go 1:30 for 100 meters...it doesn't mean jackshit unless I can hold 1:30 or my event is the 100M at some damn swim meet. I call it our time trial. We had our second T30 for the year and the results are in (drum roll please)...1:10 faster than our last T30 six weeks ago. One weird thing has happened in all of this, I look forward to the pool. I like the feel of the water. While it might take me a minute to get IN it, once I'm there, it's all good. I'm liking the change of pace from IM training...knowing that I'd be out on a bicycle somewhere right now.

January T30 - 1700 Meters in 31:08 seconds

March T30 - 1700 Meters in 29:58 seconds

That's 1:45/100M for those of you who are counting and 1:36/100yards...All that mofer swimming is paying off. I didn't get the 1800 Meters I hoped for, I did improve significantly on the time AND wasn't totally THRASHED afterwards. Next time...I'll get it next time.
Not sure what trashiness I'll get into this weekend...it's warm out so the opportunities are endless! For now, it's off to the pool.

13 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Nice job with the swimming speediness improvement, sister!

If you and Ryan kill each other, can I have custody of your blog and change its name to "Iron Glaven"? And can I make it clear that the "iron" I'm referring to is ... hmmm ... how to put it delicately? ... slightly south of the bodily equator? (The LAY-DAZE know what I'm talkin' 'bout!)

Is that okay? Because I think it's what you would have wanted.

Warm weekend trashiness is the BEST trashiness, sister.

The BEST!1!

O, for dog's sake! "flodlip" as my word verification? Is that some kinda slang for "labia"? Man, sister, your blog has a DIRTY MIND!

Diana said...

I can see it's apparent that I need major improvement in the swimming area to ever think of IM!
Nice job in the pool ;-)

Jo Lynn said...

Good job on improving your time. It's a good feeling, I can tell.

Shazza said...

Wow those swims sound damn fast to me!

PMSL at the first comment too!! Flodlip? Brilliant.

Dave said...

Missy, congrats on that swim stuff...you are doing good. As for the relay...just think...potential good blog material...

TRI-james said...

I hate timed time trials - it should be, no matter what, if you go faster you get to finish faster!

I think I will try one of these next week!

Southbay Girl said...

30 minutes of swimming? wholly shit man!!!

MJ said...

Nice improvement in just a couple of months. Way to go!

Shannon said...

Your hair might be trashed and it feels like a brillo pad, but it paid off with those smokin times!

Could I draft behind you? :)

SC's Adventures said...

Way to go Missy, your going great guns! What date is your race again?

I might have a go at a T30. I've not done a TT before!

My word verification is 'oching' rather apropriate, if clean, considering I'm in Scotland!

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Let's hear more about the Porsche racing. My brother used to do it with his restored Austin Healy Sprite. That was before he decided to have his first child at age 52. Amazing how you lose a lot of fun toys when you have kids. I gave up my Porsche when the kids started banging their bikes into it...

kristen said...

Every second counts...sweeet!

Wes said...

mfoer swimming... hahahahaha! You have a way with words :-)

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!