Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fair Weather Friend!

Fair weather friend...wow, yep, apparently, that's me. Can't help it - it was ~70ish all weekend here and we all know what that means...riding, running and having a beer on the deck. Throw in a swim for good measure and I'm perfectly exhausted.

Week in review - four swims (~12,000 meters), two rides that weren't blazing fast but got me some good, hilly leg work and three, count em, three runs. I'm on a roll now, baby! Ever have those times where you're just not feeling it? I had one of those swims on Saturday. I couldn't hit an interval to save my life. After beating myself up over it, I decided to still do the workout but not worry about my intervals. I think when you get over that mental part, sometimes, everything comes together. ...there wasn't even a little girl to point out my locker room indiscretions this time. Spring break around these parts.

Race news - a few have signed up for IM St. George. After thinking about it for ~30 seconds, I decided to forge on with my 24 Hour Triathlon plan for next year. Ryan rolled his eyes but didn't say that's the dumbEST thing I've ever heard - or anything like that. Sounds like I'm in;) I've also found another Open Water Swim in June that's local. A 4.5ish mile swim...downstream. HELL-O, downstream, yep, sounds good to me.
Let's hear it for Michigan State! Woot, woot! I've watched an entire five minutes of basketball - not a huge basketball fan but I love me Spartans! We were always in the shadows of those dayum Wolverines.

Hope it was nice were you were this weekend. There was just no sense in being inside ... or on a computer. These are the days you wish for when it's 95 and 95% humidity.

17 comments:

Carlee said...

I went to UVM and the year that they amazingly beat Syracuse in the first round, they went on to play Michigan State in the 2nd round. Because it was spring break at UVM, and no one was around, we were able to get tickets to see that game. What an awesome experience. I have a lot of respect for Michigan State as a team, even though it would have been even cooler to see our boys suprise everyone again.

Steve Stenzel said...

That's a LOT of swimming!! Nice!!

And once the guest room is done, THEN it'll be an open invitation!...

Melanie said...

congrats on registering for the IM! awesome job on the swimming!

kristen said...

I have those days every once in a while. Sometimes just finishing the workout can feel like an acomplishment in itself.

That open water swim sounds awesome. 4.5 miles - sweetness. As much as you swim, you'll kill it.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

GREAT job with the swim - you know, sometimes you just don't feel it. Way to be smart about the interval and just do the work. That counts double in my book. And that 4.5 mile OW downstream swim?!? WOW - I don't care how much of a current you get. You're still swimming 4.5 miles. That's, that's...that's a heckuva lot of swimming!

Wes said...

With all the swimming you have to do, a 4.5 miler sounds right up your alley. but no, not mine :-)

Carolina John said...

9 workouts on the week? we all should be so lucky. good job!

Dave said...

Go for the 24 hour thing...I was wanting to mention to you that Shanna Armstrong ran the 50 miler that I ran this past weekend. If I remember correctly, she won the Ultraman (10K swim, 250 Mile Bike, 50 mile run) last year...So how do you train for a 24 hour tri and how do you do it? 1/3 swim, 1/3 bike, 1/3 run????

p.s. She also did well on the Badwater 135 this past year...came in 5th.

Marcy said...

"a beer" Nah girl it's like 12 beers :P ;-)

Diana said...

Sounds like a sweet weekend. Lots of swimming-dayum!

Carly said...

That 24 hour triathlon sounds really cool. I can't imagine swimming 4.5 miles! That is crazy cool that you can do that.

Nice job on all the workouts and enjoying the brewskis with the nice weather.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Haha! Listen to Marcy! Like she'd know what to do with a beer!

She'd probably PUNCH IT IN THE FACE!

Nice job on the swims, sisters. Way to earn those beers!

I like the Trojans better than the Spartans because the Spartans don't prevent preganancy and also they are not ribbed for her pleasure.

Keith said...

Hey, want to come up to Calgary and donate some workouts?

Now you'll have to tell us about the 24 Triathlon thing.

Jo Lynn said...

We had rain, wind and chilly temps here. Didn't keep me inside though. I would have rather been out in ~70 degrees. Sounds absolutely lovely. ;)

Chloe said...

Holy cow! That will give you total bragging rights if you rock out that 4.5ish swim! That is great that you are feeling so awesome about your swims - that you want to do a race like that. Congrats!

I'm on the fence about St. George. Ugh. Decisions decisions.

Glad you had nice weather! Makes the freaking weekends go by too fast. We had a bunch of homeowners come in the office last week - in their beach gear. I seriously wanted to shoot them. All of them. And then go outside. Ahh....

TRI-james said...

These are the best days of the year!

joyRuN said...

Dang, you took great advantage of the nice weather. Nice workouts!

Your body was prolly dead-beat, hence the tired Saturday swim. I would've been dead beat by Tuesday with that schedule.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!