Monday, March 9, 2009

15,000? Split the difference?

I suppose I never said 15,000 WHAT - yards or meters. I swim in yards half the time and meters (long course) the other half. In the books for last week ...



14315 Meters OR 15655 yards - I'll split the difference with you! I say, goal achieved. My last swim of the week was a 5,000 meter swim. It almost killed me...BUT it didn't and I'm alive. I could almost lift my arms to wash my hair in the end. Which takes me to the locker room. Everyone loves a locker room story...



I'm done swimming, showering, busy drying all my parts and putting some lotion on - I've turned into a total lizard. Anyway, this chubby little girl comes in and is washing her hands. She's kind of looking at me, seems like she wants to talk so I say -



Are you getting ready to go swimming today (duh, she's in a suit)?

Yes (mumbles).

Well that will be fun, it's pretty nice (I proceed to put my clothes on).

At this point, I can see her eyes and realize that she's probably a special needs child. I later learned that late Saturday mornings is when the special needs kids have their swim team practice.

(She stops and points at me.)

You forgot your underwear!

Yes, I did. It'll be OK, though. Just this one time (ha, likely story).

(She stops and points at me - again.)
You forgot your underwear!


Yes, sweetie, it'll be OK. Have fun swimming (I hurry out so the girl doesn't run to her mother and start to point).



I think I scarred the poor girl for life. I'm certain she'll be telling her mom about the lady who FORGOT HER UNDERWEAR. God Bless those children and their parents too. I'm sure it's not an easy road. That little girl DID give me my giggle for the day. Often times, they just say it like it is without regard. Sometimes, it's just better that way, I think.


Getting my run on, kinda - work has been getting in my way. Trying to dial up the frequency at this point. Doc says OK so I'm going for it. It's time...

20 comments:

Shannon said...

"You forgot your underwear"......like that was the first time you heard that one....LOL...

Yahoo to running, take it easy sista!

Diana said...

Nothing wrong with a little "commando" action!

Carlee said...

As a tot; I asked a woman why she had hair under her arms and my mom didn't. Then when I left the changing room, I told my mom that I wanted hair under my arms like that lady...Trust me, if she told her mom, her mom is more mortified than you!

FLATOUT JIM said...

AH, Do you normally go withoutn underwear? Had to ask. You put it out there.

untpawgal02 said...

5000 yards for one just one workout... that's like Ironman swim training right there! Good Job :)

Melanie said...

great job on the swim, cute story :D enjoy the run!!!

Wes said...

Sorry, I couldn't get past "YOU FORGOT YOUR UNDERWEAR!" :-)

kristen said...

5000 meters. Damn mama - that's a lot of freakin flip turns. Nice job. I don't have it in me to stay in the pool that long.

Nice story aobut the little girl - wonder what it would be like to be able to say EVERYTHING that I was thining without judgment like that. I would probably be arrested daily.

Marcy said...

HAHAHAH this actually reminds me of a convo I had with my 5 y.o. She asked me why I never wear underwear when I put on my pajama pants and to that I responded: Because sometimes your 'gina has to breathe. Yeah, I'm TOTALLY messing up my kids for life.

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Underwear??, underwear?? You dont need to stinkin underwear!!

TRI-james said...

5000 yards is more like a week for me - not a session.

Jo Lynn said...

How exciting - you get to run. Woohoo! That was a ton of swimming you did. ;)

Dave said...

You are a freaking swimming freaking machine!!!!! A freaking 5K swim....are you freaking NUTS?!!!;-)

Dave said...

oh..I didn't even comment on going commando....sounds like a Seinfeld episode just waiting to happen!

Jo Lynn said...

Hey Missy,
Regarding what you said on my blog - that makes complete sense! He's always on the hunt for rabbits and squirrels. Thanks!

L. said...

Oh, that is too funny. Bless that girl. Congrats on the yardage. Good for you.

Runner Leana said...

Yards, meters...that is a whole lot of swimming Missy! Great job!!

Good luck with the running too!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Thanks for your comment, Marcy! Now I'm gonna have nightmares tonight of being pursued by your 'gina as it breaths like Darth Vader at me! Scary 'gina!1!

Ian will volunteer to anybody the fact that "Daddy runs without underwear" if he feels it is relevant in any way to the subject under discussion. It doesn't matter who is there to hear this.

That's always fun.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

I dont know if I read that right...5 THOUSAND meters?! Wow.
You're amazing.

Love the locker room story!:)
Rock on

joyRuN said...

That's my monthly meterage in the pool! Maybe I'll get better once I learn to flip turn ;)

LMAO on lack of underoos. My daughter was yelling in the locker room today - "WHO'S BUTT IS THIS, MAMA?!!" Fortunately, we were alone at the time. It was my @$$ she was marveling at.

Oy. I'm learning WAAAY too much about commando habits from your comments.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!